A V8 Maybe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luc my friend
I will take your Vodka advice to heart at the slightest sign of future weakness ;D

The three middle Cam bearings are installed, now the Block has to be drilled from the mains, though the Cam bearings into the oil hole that runs above the Cam.
This oil hole feeds both the Cam bearings and center mains.
Pete

Last edited:
Nice work :D

Just a thought, but while you're on the sump plug, why not set a little magnet into it to catch any particles in the oil?

Great job! Very particular about your project, I look forward to when you run it and show us all how good he growls at work. Good luck!

Hi jeff
A mate of mine (Bezalel) came over yesterday Arvo and gave me some of the special ZA27 bearing material he makes up and brought around his Wallaby he has cast up from ZA27 for me to have a look at :cool:
Naturaly I made up and fitted a main bearing for the Crank today, two more and the Cranks installed!!
Thanks River gypsy, I will probably take your advice with the magnet once I find one of a suitable size.
Live long and prosper Kadett, Thanks for the support :D
Pete

Last edited:
Hi:

Great Job.

Does anyone know where a person could get plans with dimensions for a Flathead V-8?

Thanks,

Terryt

I have drawn a flathead in 1/3 scale. The problem is trying to make it like a real Ford flathead engine. Without elaborate coring and casting there is no way to get the exhaust ports into the block. I wanted to see if I could make one from bar stock but I haven't come up with a design that will work.
gbritnell

thanks guys :cool:
Wow George
I hope you build it!
It would really be something to see.
I know very little about Flatheads and I know you prefer to keep to the original as much as possable, but perhaps building up the block from layers could be done in such a way that the construction could not be seen?

My Crank is pretty well installed now with the split bearings scraped in and the oil holes in block and bearings drilled.
Next up I plan to do the Cam end bearings.
Pete

Last edited:
I don't have the Cam gears yet so just hacked out a hole to poke through the Cam!

Pete

Without elaborate coring and casting there is no way to get the exhaust ports into the block.
George, with your talents, I cant see a corebox being much of a challenge for you. :D
I don't have the Cam gears yet so just hacked out a hole to poke through the Cam!
Looks like a nice solid casting. With poured bearings, you have definitely upped the jealousy factor. :rolleyes:

Hi Lakc
Bezelal cast up his Wallaby in ZA 27 bearing material and gave me the spews to make my split bearings from so I guess you could say they were poured :cool:
I made up the Cam bearings today but have not drilled and tapped the Block yet.
Once Im sure everything is hunky- dory I'll cut the threaded end of the Cam down to suit the Cover.
Pete

I have drawn a flathead in 1/3 scale. The problem is trying to make it like a real Ford flathead engine. Without elaborate coring and casting there is no way to get the exhaust ports into the block. I wanted to see if I could make one from bar stock but I haven't come up with a design that will work.
gbritnell

Hi George,
I have wanted to build a Ford flathead from barstock too, and also have the same problem.
It has been done by a member here, and I have contacted him for information but sadly have never had a reply.
Have a look at Roger's barstock flathead build here: http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f31/my-flathead-1846/

I want to hear the engine.

Pix-27.jpg

Hi Simon
Its a pity there has been no site activity from Roger since 2011. I would have loved to have seen more of his flathead V8, it makes my efforts seem silly.
Pete

Sorry Pete, but your right I was thinking of love...
keep up the good work. Have you check my build
lately?

cheers

Latest posts

Back