A V8 Maybe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Brian
Thanks for following along and shearing the journey with me.
Im thinking of using a permant mold for the con rods, but have not come up with any pattern ideas yet.

Hi Mknorr
Im not so good on the planing Buddy, I just like to cut something :fan:
Pete

You might want to make the rods from bar stock. You are going to need a good strong rod and with a casting you just never know.

Hi Steve
as your the second person saying that, It may be a good idea to think about bar stock rods, I will chew it over :cool:
I fitted up a pointer on my cam turning fixture today and am running out of reasons to not turn up the Cam.
Once I screw the degree wheel down I will start it this week.:eek:
Well Guys it seems, Im famous or maybe that should be imfamous
Here is a link to my Engine in Chinese!
I translated it and I am given the Credit and my watermarks are intact.
Happykingkongs bbs
http://www.zhizuo.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=211

Here is my fixture almost ready to use.

I did 25 trial cuts on the first exhaust lobe today but will have to rethink my procedure a little bit.
As I have it now the pointer will hit the pivot rod if I continue, I need to sleep on it :fan:
Pete

I think that happens no matter what, push the pointer back through and use the reciprocal at the top of the degree wheel.

Hi Jeff
Are you saying to drill a hole in the Camshaft for the pointer?:confused:
As I have it now its loctighted into a simple coller.
Pete

No, push it through the collar and stick it out the other side, use 180 degree offset.

Ok Guys
Ausdier came to my rescure with a spread sheet thingy and I took 5 cuts today.
The plan so far is to start the cuts at 3 o'clock and cut to 9 o'clock, then move the pointer back 180 degrees and take the cut again.
If everything goes to plan, I only need to move the pointer once and not touch the degree wheel at all. :cool:
I took 5 cuts today.
Pete

Hi Steve
Its all by the numbers from here as long as I dont do something silly.
Im about 1/3 of the way round now, but its bloody hard work.
Pete

A milestone of sorts today. I'm at the halfway point and for the first time I have a lobe with both flanks so I can see what this thing is going to look like.
Pete

The hard part with cams is not the machining, its avoiding getting lost in all those angles.

Hi Jeff
I've simplified the process as much as I can and as long as I'm careful, I should be Ok.
Pete

Hi Jeff
I've simplified the process as much as I can and as long as I'm careful, I should be Ok.
Pete
I usually walk around in a daze afterwards, mumbling to myself and drawing imaginary circles in the air.;)

Hello Pete,
Even though I have not said much in a while. I see you are making good progress. I have never made an engine, other than the one that only looks and turns over like one. I think you are doing a great job and the cam is starting to look real good. Take care and I will keep watching your progress.

I know what you mean Lakc, The spinning eccentric does my head in after a while ;D
Hi Danny
I should have it finished in the next day or two I guess, I'm well over half way and everything seems to be on track so far.
Pete

Great work as always Pete. Still following along.

Brock

Hi Brock
Im making progress now.
I still have to do a few things like clean up the sides of the lobes and file the end radius etc.
If you do build this Engine Buddy, the Cam will drive you Crazy :eek:
Pete

Back