• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

50 endmills

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my endmills yesterday. 66 total pcs.

I checked the hardness of several of the endmills & found that the shanks on the 1/2" 4 flute cutters were approx. 25 Rockwell C The cutting edges vary from 52-55 Rockwell C

The 1/2" 4 flute end mills measure between .5035"-504" in diameter.
The 3/16" endmills do not have very deep flute relief. (will certainly load up in soft aluminum)
The 2 flute cutters are pretty much right on size, good flute relief.
The carbide endmills also do not have very deep flute relief.

I just did a few test cuts with the same 1/2" 4 flute end mill that I checked the hardness on, it worked good in aluminum. I tested the side of the cutter, 1" deep with very light cuts on a piece of mild steel it worked fine with a good finish. I took about a 1/16" deep cut on a 1/4" wide piece of mild steel worked good with a smooth finish. Than I tried 1/4" deep pass & the cutter broke off right at the point were the shank meets the flutes?? (did not really push it that hard??)

I like the length of cut on all of the end mills, longer than most American made end mills.

I know the prices are great, but these are typical quality of the Chinese cutters I have purchased in the past.
Over all satisfied, but probably won't go back for anymore!

Has anyone else actually tried the cutters?

Mike N.

Hi Mike N,

I have used these cutters for quite some time now. I do agree that they do have a slight size variation and as far as the hardness I have noticed some last longer than others which says it all. most of my machining is done on 6 or 7 series aluminium under cnc control while flooding coolant to the cutting edge. Bearing in mind I also will only use the cutters for roughing, For finishing I will us a good quality USA or British made carbide 4 flute ball nose end mill. at the price of the Chinese cutters I have found it most economical to throw them out, use them as mini parallel bars or hardened dowels when the cutting edge becomes dull. My good carbide cutters last for a long time as my finish cuts generally are only 0.010" - 0.020" in depth. I purchased some carbide ball nose cutters a while ago now, they were 1/8" dia with 4 flutes from Canada, I believe they were made in the USA but can't remember the manufacturer. I will do some research on previous Fee Bay purchases and post the details. They defiantly out last Sutton and Dormer tools, I have never seen anything like it and they were cheap ($4.00 Aus or so).

Cheers Barry.

I have received my order of about $20 worth of these mills. They were quick arriving-less than 2 weeks.
Now to try and use them. I bought some 2mm 2 flute end mills to make little slots in the steam chest of my current model under construction. Hopefully they hold up.

Metal Butcher said:
I ordered on the 8th. And the order was shipped on the 12th.

19 days and waiting.

No need to panic, just keep machining. ;D

-MB

As of today I still have not received my order. I contacted richontools a few days ago to inform them that my order has not arrived and asked for the tracking number. I went through my E-mails and couldn't find it. I normally don't waste my time tracking a small shipment.

Peter replied and said that I waited long enough, and that I could have either a refund, or a resend of my order. I emailed back and said to go ahead and resend the order since I really wanted to try out the end mills. This time I received a tracking number and I will be checking to see when it clears Hong Kong Post.

I'm not angry about the wait. I didn't order anything that I really needed.

I wonder if my order fell through a crack and was never Shipped. scratch.gif

-MB

MB,

What email address you use to get a hold of Peter?

I sent one a week ago, but no reply.

Matt

Like I said early in this thread my last couple of orders have taken 3 weeks or just over so I would not panic yet. In the past they have come in less than a week.

J

Thats fine, placed my order on the 9th of Jan.

We see what happens in the next week.

Matt

1hand said:
MB,

What email address you use to get a hold of Peter?

I sent one a week ago, but no reply.

Matt

[email protected]

I just checked, and my new tracking number and its not valid.

Now I'm getting mad. :rant:

-MB

Jasonb said:
Like I said early in this thread my last couple of orders have taken 3 weeks or just over so I would not panic yet. In the past they have come in less than a week.

J

J, With all do respect, your in the UK. The time it takes you to get your shipments has no bearing on how long it takes any one else on any other part of the planet.

I ordered on Jan 8th, and today is February 7th. That's 30 days! Air Mail doesn't take a month, we have airports all over the U.S.. Something went wrong with my order. I have ordered from Hong Kong sellers many times in the past and have gotten all my shipments delivered within a week and a half, and two weeks at the most.

Mind you I'm a very patient person, but I know when its time to stop waiting, and to start making inquiries.

-MB

I just received my order on Thursday it took 3 weeks. I ordered a few of various sizes to give them a try. I haven't used any of them yet. I did notice they are sharpened with only one relief I'm use to seeing a primary and a secondary relief. Not sure how they will stand up. When my order didn't show up in the time frame that the website stated I e-mailed Peter and he asked me to give it a couple days and if nothing showed up he would send out another order. Well 2 days later they showed up. Honestly they look like they will work just fine we shall see. I did order some drills also and I had the chance of using one of them and they drill just fine hole on size and no sign of wear after 13 or 14 holes granted only aluminum.

Ya think he would at least answer my emails and feed me a line of bull, then just blow me off. Its the least he could do for collecting interest on my money for the last month. stickpoke th_bs *knuppel2*

1hand said:
Ya think he would at least answer my emails and feed me a line of bull, then just blow me off. Its the least he could do for collecting interest on my money for the last month. stickpoke th_bs *knuppel2*

Be cool. Your package will probably show up any day now. I had a bad feeling, and got tired of waiting.

Reminded me of a strange shipment that arrived at the house last year. "Honey" ordered a small box of manila envelopes for her hobby (don't ask!) and a few days latter there was a knock on the door and I could hear a truck pulling away. I opened the front door and saw nothing! I went around to the other side of the house and opened the garage door. In front of it were four very large boxes with our address on them. Turned out that "Honeys" small box went to Texas, and a huge Texas shipment of bubble bags came to us. I had to pull the car out to get them in the garage!

I called the company and they shipped out the order again, and sent UPS to come pick up the Texas shipment.
Strange things can happen! There's probably some one out there looking at my end mills and saying "their cute, but what in the world are they for?" I doubt that they will send them back to China.

-MB

You don't understand MB, My order was for $21 and that inculded the shipping. Big money these days. :big:

I'm not too worried. This way I cann't break them little SOB's. My endmills are all like new yet. ;)

Matt

:big: :big:Yes I would surmise they are still like new! :big: :big:

I just got the same email MB got. I have the same choice to make.

Matt

Metal Butcher said:
[email protected]

I just checked, and my new tracking number and its not valid.

Now I'm getting mad. :rant:

-MB
Your tracking number will not come up with anything until the parcel goes through the Hong Kong postal system. With Chinese New Year going on even the postal system seems to slow down.
Gary

What a load of moaners.

First off you were told that they were cheap and cheerful and get the job done, and you still have people subjecting them to hardness testing and angle measuring, expecting them to come up to and comparing them to top quality standards. What do you expect for the prices you are paying?

Then you were given good warning about the Chinese New Year, where almost anything can happen a couple of weeks before and after, where most probably half the packages will have disappeared for good thru no fault of the seller. Yet you still carried on ordering, then complain when the bits go missing.

You will find that Peter the seller will get things sorted eventually, when this month of chaos is over. Can he be expected to take responsibility for what the rest of his countrymen are doing?
But he will do, just to make sure he gives the customer satisfaction.

Bogs

Bogs is right about the Chinese new year. I made the uninformed mistake of ordering my DRO's from a Chinese company just before the holiday began, a while back. It seems everything shuts down for the celebration and you can't get in contact with a living soul. I finally did get an email from a very friendly fellow who explained the problem and promised all would be quickly sorted out once everyone was back at work.

Traditionally, everyone travels back home from the cities to enjoy the fun, turning the whole country upside down. Once the chaos was over, the DRO's arrived with a sincere apology and expedited shipping. Bogs can do a lot of things, but he's no match for that many celebrating Chinese.

Keep your shirts on, everyone. It's just one of those times for patience.

Steve

My order was combined with a nearby friend's and arrived a couple of weeks ago. Quality was what I expected for the price. Tried the 1/4" 4-flute yesterday to make some shallow cuts in 303 SS, and no issues.

Saskford said:
Your tracking number will not come up with anything until the parcel goes through the Hong Kong postal system. With Chinese New Year going on even the postal system seems to slow down.
Gary

No your wrong. I contacted richontools and told them about the invalid tracking number.

The reply was sorry I made a mistake allong with the correct number, and it works!

-MB

Back