• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

50 endmills

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The PO did well to get 'em to you at all with that big stain over the address! ;)

I'm satisfied that they will be usable, and they were dirt cheap. I just wanted to portray my assessment of the end mills that I got.

-MB

Well that's what we who've had 'em before have been saying all along - serviceable end-mills at throw away prices! They'll do me, other than a few really good ones I keep as 'specials'.

Hi Metal Butcher

I'm on my 6th order with them now. One order took about 6-8 weeks and on the day it was due to be resent turned up. It was sent a few days after the order but was just stuck in the system. Peter is a very helpful guy and often includes freebies with orders.

On quality, they are well worth their price. Some of the carbide ones seem to suffer from random failures. For example I was using 1/8 3 flute endmills for some extensive cutting and one I found failed almost immediately ( #3 2000 rpm very low feedrate) but most failed as they blunted after considerable use, likewise my first 3/8 carbide broke under conditions that were well within it's capabilities. However subsequent parts have performed very well indeed.

Looking at the price paid these represent very good value for money. I normally rough out with carbide followed by a fine finish with HSS (I mainly cut steel).

The roughers are very good for smaller mill owners (3/8 endmills will normally fit a 10-9 ER 32 collet).

I have no reason to doubt that Peter at Richontools sends them when he says he does, quite honestly I'm surprised that a lot more of his stuff doesn't go missing with the postal services.

Best Regards

picclock

PS will you be at Harrowgate ? I'm hoping to go as long as SWMBO doesn't object. I figure if I don't tell her she can't. .. ::)

picclock

I broke a 1/2" carbide 4fl yesterday; had .100" DOC, 2300 RPM, 10 ipm in CRS on the Bridgeport. Not an aggressive cut, but I had been using it continuously for 30 minutes, so perhaps it heated up. That said, i finished the job with a 7/16 OSG that cut a lot better.

I'm starting to think I need to use these Richon carbide cutters only on the CNC mill and only when I get the coolant system installed, which is a summer project.

Since I've started on the locomotive project, I've been milling steel almost exclusively; so that's a lot harder on endmills.

tel said:
The PO did well to get 'em to you at all with that big stain over the address! ;)

Tell, the world has changed. Its the 'bar code' that gets the package to where it's going.

The UPS and Fed-ex guys tell me their not supposed to even look at the address on the package.

That's probably what happened, the bar code on my package got stained, and its going around in circles on some conveyor system! :Doh:

-MB

picclock said:
Hi Metal Butcher

PS will you be at Harrowgate ? I'm hoping to go as long as SWMBO doesn't object. I figure if I don't tell her she can't. .. ::)

picclock

Hi picclock. Harrowgate is to far away for me, being that I'm in Ohio USA.

But, I'll be their in spirit, and hopefully someone will be kind enough to post some pictures.

-MB

OOPS ! sorry bout that MB, I assumed you were in the UK, not enough Americanisms for me to think otherwise.

My son works in LA and I can already tell that he is picking up the local vernacular. If I go I will be glad to post pictures for you. It was a good show last time I went with 'experts' lecturing on different aspects of model engineering, and some bargains to be had at the stalls. However, having been across the pond a few times shows in the UK seem much smaller that the US equivalent.

And the tools always seem cheaper .. . (VAT, Import tax, etc. killing British industry)

My son was telling me how cold it was in LA falling below 18C. I said I can tell its cold when the ice in the wheelbarrow next to my shed is solid. I hope its warmer in Ohio.

Best regards

picclock

Kvom,

Just so I know you say DOC = 0.1" was this cut over the whole width of the cutter ie 1/2" width.

Dave

Kvom,

Thanks - I'm just interested that's all.

Another question if you don't mind: Do these end mills seem to cut great to start with and after a time tend to battle?

Dave

I think they work fine if you use the same feeds and speeds as HSS, but that kind of defeats the purpose of paying for carbide.

Placed an order with Richon Tools 8 days ago and they arrived this afternoon!! :big:

Will open package and check contents tonight!
It is big and heavy and should keep me milling for a long time!!!

The discount coupon codes Peter sends with the shipping notice are also great!!

Andrew

Latest posts

Back