• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

50 endmills

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a few myself to test out heck at a 1/4 the cost and (shipping seemed reasonable to me).......I hope they work :-\, the last time I bought twist drills from China they were unusable. But maybe the worker skills are better now. Anyways I have an identical order from Mcmaster Carr and I assume its USA made mills since the cost was 3x more. I will post back here on the quality once I try out the two brands.

winklmj said:
Did they update the site or your order? I just checked and it's like $30 for standard service to Texas for 30 end mills and a diamond wheel. Ouch.

I was told the settings on the shipping calculator were wrong. In my case there was no price in the default shipping box, just a price for EMS which is expensive 2 or 3 day delivery.

Could it be the weight of the diamond wheel? Try the order with out the wheel and see what the shipping is.

My order was 0.42 kg. and $9.00 shipping for 22 small end mills

-MB

winkmj, I just did a test order of one piece CBN 100x6x4, and 30 pcs 1/4" end mills.

$14.00 default shipping 5-12 days, and $23.00 for EMS 2-4 days.

Weight is 0.72 kg.

After you filled in the shipping calculator, did it show two prices and shipping options (Default & EMS)?

-MB

I placed an order a couple of days ago and paid $22.00 shipping to Canada for 1.8kg that included 10 carbide end mills a 6" diamond wheel and some of the coolant lines and valves.

Still a great deal compared to what i was buying. Now if they are of a decent quality all will be well.

Allen

I just ordered a couple dozen end mills: 4Flutters, some rougher's & a few carbide.
The shipping charges were $ 30 bucks.

Does this sound right??

I hope the Pay/Pal is safe to use!

I will update once I get a chance to try them out.

I really held back........... *bang* and only ordered 10 small ones a 3 roughing!

Shipping was $5

Matt

I think you are all getting a little confused with the shipping rates, especially the US guys.

If you live and buy in the US, your shipping charges are fairly reasonable, for anywhere else on the planet, shipping from the US is usually extortionate. So you are now seeing and feeling what we normally have to go thru when buying from overseas. Richon tools rates, although they may look high compared to normal US internal rates, they are in fact a lot lower than we usually pay for shipping from the other side of the world. He does it fairly, and calculates and ships by weight, so if you order larger and heavier parts, then you gotta pay.

I have bought all sorts of bits from Richon, diamond wheels, drills, lapping plates etc, someone mentioned even a Locline type coolant tube, of which I have purchased over a dozen. The triangular shaped plastic pieces were a little suspect, so I informed Peter, and he, as far as I know, now supplies the roundish piece versions, which are a lot more pliable and less prone to breakage when stripping or assembling. You have to remember, you are only paying cents rather than bucks, so of course, you won't get super top quality, but what you will get is very useable items for low cost.

I even bought some real cheapo carbide scribers. They turned out to be cut off 6" nails with a piece of pointed carbide brazed onto the end. Lousy to look at, but they do a great job. Cheap and cheerfull as we say in the UK. A few visitors to my shop got one as a gift and mine are used all the time.

Woodguy asked me about tungsten tooling that I use. I have bought and used some of the smaller tungsten cutters from Richon, and if you treat them correctly, they are just as good as more expensive ones from elsewhere. I very rarely break cutters as I treat them with great care when machining, no pushing them beyond what they are designed to do, and they stand up to the rigours of machining just like the more expensive ones I use, they usually go blunt rather than breaking, but that is a normal fact of life in the shop, and the tiny ones are just too small for me to resharpen. As to my larger ones, they are really top wack stuff, most costing well over a hundred bucks each, and you don't want to go down that route unless you have a specific purpose for them, like I did at one time. Stick with the cheaper ones, if looked after and not abused, they will serve you well, and allow you to get those special little jobs done that HSS won't touch.

Bogs

I've been using Richon for 5-6 years mostly for his diamond coated holesaws (used for work) but I do find milling cutters get onto the same order ;)

Like Bogs says they can be treated as disposable and are what I go at iron castings with and don't have to worry too much if I hit a hard spot and blunt them, far rather do that than use a £20 Dormer one. As most members here tend to work with alloy & brass they wil cope with that without issue.

I have also used their solid Carbide mills and they work very well. Also had a pack of 4mm drill bits from them they are fine for general work.

Last couple of orders have taken about 3 weeks rather than teh usual 7-10days but provided you remember that when ordering you won't be hanging around waiting for a cutter.

On the postage cost front, there was a recent thread about small keyway broach sets for about $80, I wa sabout to order one from Shars until I saw the postage rates, cheapest was $170 ::)

Jason

I got enthused upon reading this and put in an order. They arrived today and look good th_wav *beer* *beer*

Bogs, Thanks for the heads up :bow: :bow:

Well, I'll add my 2 cents here...

I'm VERY impressed by the way Peter treated me; Namibia wasn't on his shipping destination list, so I popped him an email and asked if they would be prepared to ship here, and about the shipping charges if so.

Within half an hour I received an email back stating that they will ship to Namibia - same cost as to South Africa, but to hold on a bit for them to add Namibia to their shipping list. 30 minutes later, I received another email to say that it was done, but to expect shipping here to take a bit longer than their normal shipping times, which I fully expected : )

I just placed an order for a selection of 32 metric ball nose, 4 flute HSS and some carbide cutters, and the cost, including shipping, is less than I'd normally have to fork out locally for 4 smallish HSS 4 flute cutters. Ball nose and Carbide is locally treated as if it's actually made of Unobtanium, and have to be ordered in at prices per each approximating the entire cost of my entire order!

Just wish Peter carried dovetail cutters and sub-2mm taps, dies and fasteners as well!

So, a check mark for customer service for Peter
Another check mark for price
'nuther for being able to supply "Unobtainium" cutters - even though they are HSS and carbide
There's more check marks reserved...
one for actually delivering to Namibia
one for if I get what I ordered
and last one for the quality - for the price I'm just expecting serviceable cutters; not extreme performance or quality, and they will be fairly compared to the more expensive South African made ones I get locally on those terms.

Now I'll happily wait for 3 to 4 weeks for that package to arrive ;D

Regards, Arnold

Arnold,

I bought the complete set of ball mills from them a fair while ago.

There is a difference in that the shanks are about twice as long as standard ones, they are great for reaching into dark hidden corners that you can't get a normal one to reach. I use them all the time, because I don't really like sharp internal corners if I can help it.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

John

and last one for the quality - for the price I'm just expecting serviceable cutters; not extreme performance or quality, and they will be fairly compared to the more expensive South African made ones I get locally on those terms.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised - good workaday quality in my experience and better than some I've paid considerably more for.

I've just done another order with 'em - 9 end mills, three tubes of diamond paste + postage ...... under $20Au.

John & Tel - Thanks Gents :) - makes me feel a LOT more optimistic!

Steve, thanks for the CTC link Thm: I'll get in touch with them when my budget's recovered ;D - I do need dovetail cutters for upcoming tooling projects, and at those prices it sure beats the heck out of making my own.

My apologies for taking this thread so far off the original intent :-[

Kind regards, Arnold

We are keeping this guy busy, I received an email today & he is out of the 3/8" 4 flute end mills. My order has been delayed for a while. Excellent communication about my order. (maybe I ordered too many)!

Nine days ago I placed an order on Richon Tools for some HSS cutters and some Diamond paste. It arrived today, the quality appears to be excellent, if they cut as well as they look they will be terrific!!

Thanks for the link Bogs!!

cheers
Bill Pudney
Adelaide, Australia

Nine days to Australia? That's pretty good!
Some packages takes more than nine days just to travel within the country here in Brazil!

I took an order 01/05, a set of metric ballmills. Let's see how much time it takes to arrive.

I was very surprised with Peter's endmill prices! 5% of what it costs here!

My order of the 11th arrived today - that's 8 days! ;D

Just received my order! For made-in-china stuff, I consider it as high quality, pretty well made endmills!
Next time I'll try to buy some diamond wheels and paste!

Tarik

Latest posts

Back