workshop music

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SAM in LA said:
I am hoping that all of the sub bass noise will sterilize those idiots.

SAM

Wow. Wouldn't that be some sweet justice!
Yeah, count me in as crabby when it comes to that kind of noise...

Dean

Regrettably the "music" these numbskulls play at raised volumes will not sterilize them. All it will do is make them deaf, so they have to play it even louder to hear it. :mad:
On the bright side, however, they might not hear the truck bearing down on them as they cross the road and squish them. ;D
ned

Well, with all this talk of the young folk and all their loud stereos I think you need the perspective of a former young folk.

I was that punk kid with the loud music, ya that's right, I used to love the look I got when I would crank it up and some old guy would give me the stink eye.

Of course now its hard to express teenage angst when your 29.

Don't forget what it is like to be young, aggravating your elders is almost a required part of teenage life. It just so happens that you are the old guy now, and as the old saying goes "What goes around comes around"

OK now having said that, I must confess to a little hatred towards these punk kids and their loud music, it is a little lame, but who am I to judge them, I was them, and in a certain way, you were too, with your darn Elvis and his moving of the hips, NOW THATS RACEY. Its just a different time, thats all.

You have to admit there is something funny about $3,000 worth of bass and factory midrange speakers. :big:

Kel

I recently stuck a portable radio on my light circuit. Not so much for the music (mostly the pretend-local 'we play anything' station), but it helps keep track of time a little better. The sound doesn't carry over machines, but there's lots of not-machining time in my shop.

kcmillin said:
You have to admit there is something funny about $3,000 worth of bass and factory midrange speakers.

Especially in a $1500 car.

I guess things have changed too much for me. We didn't give our elders a hard time or show disrespect
when I was a teen. The older people didn't like our hair, or our clothes, but we kids didn't antagonize
them purposefully as kids do today.
Mostly, if an older person said something to us, we said yessir, or nosir.

Deanofid said:
Especially in a $1500 car.

I guess things have changed too much for me. We didn't give our elders a hard time or show disrespect
when I was a teen. The older people didn't like our hair, or our clothes, but we kids didn't antagonize
Mostly, if an older person said something to us, we said yessir, or nosir.
Ah, but now we can mortify teens in ways otherwise unavailable as well... walk out in your black socks and sandals and tell the kids "hey, that's pretty cool, I've got one just like it at home.." :D :D :D

Deanofid said:
We didn't give our elders a hard time or show disrespect

We never wanted to disrespect anybody, I am not proud of any of my shenanigans, but it was all in good fun, ya know, to get a rise out of somebody, make a joke, it was never sinister or evil. Every 16, 17 year old kid thinks they know everything about anything. I guess each generation the bar gets raised a little higher, the same old tricks don't work on the people who invented them.

Since I am in the lower middle age range I will leave it there, I have German and Norwegian in my blood, I can be a little stubborn and defensive. I just want to say I have the deepest respect for everyone here.

Now Kids these days, I tell ya. :big:

Kel

I usually have some noise on in the background but not loud enough to hear over the mill or lathe. Generally some easy listening radio station like God FM, as the guys at work call it.

Every 16, 17 year old kid thinks they know everything about anything.
That reminds me of some excellent business advice. 'Employ a teenager, while they still know everything'.

Mid-lifer heading back to his box now.
Cheers,
Phil

Back when my daughter was 16-17, I put this sign on her bedroom door whilst she was at school.

LOUISE
Are you tired of being harassed by your stupid parents?

Leave Home!

Get a job!

DO IT NOW while you still know EVERYTHING!!!​

Things did slow down for a couple of weeks ::) ::)

In the nineties, SoundStream was the preeminent car amplifier manufacturer out of Folsom, CA. The world record for loudest car stereo was usually held by someone using SoundStream amps.

In the nineties, I was one of two people who designed the line of SoundStream car amps. I'll say right now, I'm sorry.

In the nineties, I needed a job.

In the nineties, I was in my forties.

In the nineties, my son was a teenager, with teenage buddies, who were into car stereos.

In the nineties, I was God to some of my son's friends. They would come over, ask me to look at their installations and help them fix it or advise them. Oh, could I get them a deal on a SoundStream amp?

I would go out in the yard and help them to blast their brains out, and yes, even their car windows sometimes. In my black socks and sandals.

I never had anything other than a factory radio in any of my cars.

-T

Troutsqueezer said:
In the nineties, SoundStream was the preeminent car amplifier manufacturer out of Folsom, CA. The world record for loudest car stereo was usually held by someone using SoundStream amps.

In the nineties, I was one of two people who designed the line of SoundStream car amps. I'll say right now, I'm sorry.

In the nineties, I needed a job.

In the nineties, I was in my forties.

In the nineties, my son was a teenager, with teenage buddies, who were into car stereos.

In the nineties, I was God to some of my son's friends. They would come over, ask me to look at their installations and help them fix it or advise them. Oh, could I get them a deal on a SoundStream amp?

I would go out in the yard and help them to blast their brains out, and yes, even their car windows sometimes. In my black socks and sandals.

I never had anything other than a factory radio in any of my cars.

-T

Zee,

I forgive you.

A man has got to eat.

SAM

Sam, Zee does rhyme with T and T stands for Trouble, yes, there's Trouble right here in River City my friends. :big:

I'm sure Zee would have done the same were he in my shoes.

Don't worry, I have those "senior moments" myself. ;D

-Trout

Troutsqueezer said:
Sam, Zee does rhyme with T and T stands for Trouble, yes, there's Trouble right here in River City my friends. :big:

I'm sure Zee would have done the same were he in my shoes.

Don't worry, I have those "senior moments" myself. ;D

-Trout

Trout,

Sorry about that. It seems that my senior moments are turning into minutes.

I probaby need to slow down a bit.

SAM

I get enough blame for the faults and issues I create myself. Happy to share mine but I'd rather not take anyone else's. ;D

I tried loud music in the car but it was too unnerving. I don't like it in other cars either. I especially don't like being disturbed while in my own home to hear car music going by or for my own car music to be overwhelmed at intersections. It's just rude.

Back in the day I wanted louder music but didn't want to be noticed. So I hooked up headphones to the dash of my 65 beetle. (I don't think that was legal at the time.)

I had an 8-track. The problem was, the car was a 6V system so I installed a converter. The problem with that was there wasn't enough juice for the solenoid when it came time to change tracks. You just heard a 'klunk' and the same track would start. The solution was to drill a hole in the side of the 8-track, insert a pencil, and lash it to the solenoid. Whenever I heard the 'klunk', I pushed the pencil. (I'm thinking I've talked about this before...sorry about that.)

A related issue was the horn. Once the converter was in, instead of a nice 'beep beep beep', I got a 'bip bip bip'. If I was moving less than 15mph, I got nothing. I used to pretend I was in a WWI aircraft and the horn was my machine gun. 'bip bip bip bip....bip bip bip bip'. A bird turd on the windshield was my sight. :big: :big: No kidding! (Well I was a bit more of an idiot back then. That and a lack of dates...)

For the inspection stations, I 'bipped bipped' driving in so I could prove the horn 'worked'.

I miss that car.

Back in 1969 or 70 I was 6' on my way to 6'2" and weighed all of 130 lb. The back seat was no problem.
Now I'm headed back to 6' from the other way and weigh 240. There's no reliving certain memories. :big:

I listen to 50's to early 70's rock, any folk music from any part of the world, some operas (Carmen is a favorite), classical, some jazz, and various soundtracks from the movies (Cider House Rules, Last of the Mohicans, The Sting...). No rap.

We have a very diverse collection of music. With 3 sons now in their 30's that liked different styles we ended up with music that includes big band, 50's, 60's, 70's rock, country and western, punk (but not Oi!), some hip hop (but no gansta), ska, blues, jazz, folk, and some I can't think of right now. For us it just needs to well written and performed. We love having XM satellite in the car because we can listen to so many different genres.

Ahhh...shop music...... I love the 60s and 70s with a sprinkling of 80's... in the shop I like .....silence....apart from machinery...I find anything else distracting... as I said I love my music..but tend to focus on it..

Its not old fart.... its simply the way my monodivisional brain works.... 8)

my mini mill is close to my computer, when I work on the mill sometimes i put music, thins like blind faith or guess who, and some metal too

in the other way, my lathe is on the garaje and i don´t have a radio or speakers there, so no music on the lathe, just the cutting noise...

Can't do a thing in the shop without the back-ground noise of the radio... usually CBC 2, which depending on time of day is opera, classical, jazz, or world-beat. I used to listen to a local 70's-80's rock station, since they've been absorbed by mega-huge radio corp the ratio of adverts to music has swung so far to the advert side of things that I just can't stand it. I often tune the car radio to Vermont Public Radio to keep up on what's happening in the Great Republic To The South.

I used to play music in my workshop, but after the day at work, coming home and having the kids all screaming around the house I've started to enjoy the silence in my workshop when I haven't got any machinery running

Milli-Vanilli ..... :hDe:

Nothing but the blues !!

I hook up my iPod to my stereo that's in the room and run one of the iTunes Genius generated playlists. So I get a variety of genres :) Thm:

Mike

Back