workshop music

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robwilk

Reaction score
I was thinking whilst i was looking through my CDs for some music to put on whilst out in work shop, the only difference between workshops apart from the layout and a few different tools is probably the choice of music on the radio/cd player.
So i thought i would ask.
Being a 80s child my personal choice is some of the classic 80s bands like U2, Simple Minds, Bryan Adams, Bon Jovi things like that .
So what are you listening too ?
Rob....

I listen mostly to classical music, orchestra's and whatnot. My second choice is Jazz and Blues from the 20's through the 60's, but I will also go back to my teen years, the 90's and listen to some alternative bands. Sometimes I am in the mood for rock and punk from the 60's 70's and 80's. I cover variety of music, but mostly Classical and Jazz.

Other Times I choose to have the pleasant ambient sound of one of my engines running in the background. No music compares to the tick tick plop plop of one of your creations.

Kel

Sorry Guys,

I find music or a radio playing whilst I am working in any location a most annoying distraction.

We live in a new estate and the builders of houses around us all start and finish the day with a boom box and spend the time in between shouting at each other over the distorted output.

This is one area where I definitely fit the "GRUMPY OLD MEN" category. :eek: :eek:

Each to their own.

Best Regards
Bob

Absoloute 80s on digi radio for me ,used to be the ipod ,but it died in suspicious circumstances ..................

I run the full range from 20's jazz, 30's and 40's big bands, 50's rock plus old and new country. I'm good for rock and pop all the way into the early 90's but you lose me at heavy metal and rap. I'd rather hear a cat screeching in a food blender than listen to most heavy metal. As for Rap.... I seldom appreciate good poetry so I'm not about to listen to bad repetitive poetry, even with a pounding beat...LOL I'm also an avid talk radio listener.

Steve

I used to be into heavy metal but with the current price of scrap I can't afford it..........

John S.

50s and 60s rock and roll. Gospel and Contemporary Christian music. NO RAP! Christian or otherwise.

Ron

Blues, older classic Country/Western, Big Band, Some Jazz, Lighter Rock, Classical. Absolutely no Rap or 'windshield wiper' music or the current drivel that the stations pass off as top 10. I set the Ipod up top scroll and it will play for days straight before I hear the same tune.

BC1
Jim

I've got 5,000 mp3s stored on my Netbook computer which is hooked up to a sound system in my shed. It plays all types of music and I don't mean rap nor heavy metal, neither of which takes any talent to produce and is not actually music.

Other times, I have a Truncating Bearcat scanner setup out there and I listen to law enforcement channels, ambulance channels, Folsom Prison jibber jabber and the sort. I'm high on a hill overlooking the Sacramento Valley so I can pick up calls from a wide area. They are pretty entertaining sometimes. Here's the most common transmission: "RP (reporting person) says a white male, white tee shirt, blue jeans is bothering customers and disturbing the peace". Second most popular: "Code 3 (High Priority), red Honda Civic, weaving in and out of traffic, cutting off other vehicles, heading East on I-80).

Lastly, when not in the mood for music or scanner noise, it's Hannity, Rush or the local Gardening show.

Jerry Reed, Johnny Cash, George Strait, and various other Grand Ol Opry alumni

one of my favorite
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7GyLr7Cz2g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7GyLr7Cz2g[/ame]

;D

Often NPR or a Christian station. NPR just for a voice, and the bad news, and to find out what the hard left is up to.
The Christian station for the Good News.
Around 3pm, I usually turn on a 60's to 70's station to hear music from my school days. Never rap,
which I find repulsive both in content and sound. Never hard screaming wailing rock, which is just noise
to me.
Sometimes, classic country, but rarely the "new" country, which, for me, sounds more and more like pop with a twang.
I have some Randy Travis and some Paul McCartney. Some Alison Kraus and some Kate Bush. Lynyrd
Skynyrd, Allman Bros., Stacy Kent, Bing Crosby, Keb Mo, Mel Torme, Lou Rawls. Not picky, but it has
to be what I like. Probably just like most people.

Dean

I have a reciever, two speakers, and a large woofer for a center channel in the garage. It's all old stuff but it works. Recently I remembered that I had MP3 files on I have on my cell phone and I played them through the receiver. Generally I play choose between two Christian radio stations or my cell phone.

Bands, mostly contemporary Christian music. I actually enjoy most of the stuff my kids listen to as well (Paramore is one). Bands I like: KJ52, Skillet, Jars of Clay, Toby Mac, Phil Keagy, Degarmo & Key, Petra, News Boys, Bleach, Kutless, to name a few.

You can listen to music in your workshop, don't you have any machinery?
Ned

Ned Ludd said:
You can listen to music in your workshop, don't you have any machinery?
Ned

If you want to hear/feel the music while machining, just get yourself one of those car stereos that the kids and a portion of the older population have. They will rattle your teeth before you see them coming. I am hoping that all of the sub bass noise will sterilize those idiots.

Sorry. Just one of my pet peeves.

SAM

SAM in LA said:
If you want to hear/feel the music while machining, just get yourself one of those car stereos that the kids and a portion of the older population have.[/quote.

Maybe if i got one of those the rest of the street wont hear me swearing next time i snap a drill . :big:

Rob...

robwilk said:
SAM in LA said:
If you want to hear/feel the music while machining, just get yourself one of those car stereos that the kids and a portion of the older population have.[/quote.

Maybe if i got one of those the rest of the street wont hear me swearing next time i snap a drill . :big:

Rob...

Rob,

Good point. Rof}

SAM

SAM in LA said:
If you want to hear/feel the music while machining, just get yourself one of those car stereos that the kids and a portion of the older population have. They will rattle your teeth before you see them coming. I am hoping that all of the sub bass noise will sterilize those idiots.

Sorry. Just one of my pet peeves.

SAM

Sam, I'm with ya there buddy and I have a long history in this area. But first, I should mention that with car amplifiers, the input voltages to power the amps are typically set to 14.4 VDC. At that voltage, the input current needed to bring the amplifier up to relatively high output power levels is much much higher than if the amplifier were powered by 120VAC. This means you might spend more for the high current DC power supply to use with the car amp than you would for the car amp itself.

Most of my work history centers around high end audio. From when I was 13 and built my first tube amp at home to around Y2K, I was heavily involved in amplifier and speaker design for home, stage and cars. The latter only because it provided me with a paycheck. And you're right, most of them are idiots deaf.

-Trout

I am hoping that all of the sub bass noise will sterilize those idiots.
I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels like that!!! - Onya Sam! - I've felt the need to trow a brick through a large speaker on more than one occasion!

I like good music, and am fortunate (or unfortunate as the case may be) to hear well above 16 kHz... MP3s suck as all the good high frequencies are distorted by compression; CRT TVs and computer monitors kick up one hell of a racket at high frequencies and even switched mode power supplies does! Quality sound over quantity sound does the trick for me.

In the shop, well, the humming of motors, the sound of good chips getting turned or milled off workpieces, the sound of well adjusted gear trains running together, and the background hum of the fluorescent lighting is all the music I need :) Add the smells of machine and cutting oil, all combined makes for a certain "atmosphere" that makes it a pleasure to be in the shop ;D - no music needed!

Regards, Arnold

Trout, you posted while I was posting - glad to see you agree as well ;D - Give me a valve amp any day!

I like almost all kinds of music with a leaning toward acoustic instrumentals and classical (Note: heavy metal, thrash, or rap, hip-hop, Barry Manilow, and Neil Sedaka, etc, do not qualify as music!) Years ago, after experimenting with various types of music at work (as an architect - which often required days of uninterrupted concentration) and in my workshop I discovered a curious phenomenon - when I listened to classical music I not only worked better and smarter but I also worked faster with less mistakes. No matter how much I might like other types of music everything but classical disrupted my concentration to some extent. I came to think of it as music that runs parallel to my brain waves and not perpindicular to them. Your mileage of course will vary.

Latest posts

Back