What steel to use..?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveRC

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick question, I have started to build a Upsher vertical and started to gather all the materials for this, I have almost everything I need and just a couple of bits left to get.

I am looking for the material to make the crank out of, now on the plans or in the text it says steel..... I get most, if fact all, my material off the bay, I find it's an easy source for the small bits I am after. But I usually come unstuck when looking for something like this, steel, listed on the bay is, stainless, bright, black, mild... I am sure it matters, so what should I be looking for...?

Also I will be making my own gears, I think it said in the text to also use steel, again, what should I be looking at..?

Thanks

Dave

Dave can you put what part of the world you are in into your profile or sig. There is not much point saying what you want in UK referrences if you are buying in the US and using their number system.

J

If its a built up crank then a free machining mild steel such as EN1A will be fine, the other option would be precision ground mild steel (not silversteel which also has a ground surface) as the bright drawn EN1A can be a couple of thou undersize. This is not usually an issue as the gap will be ideal for silver solder to flow into.

If you are cutting from solid flat stock then Black (hot Rolled) will distort less as you cut lumps out of it but can be a little harder to get a good finish on.

J

Thanks for that, yes I will be cutting it out of solid flat stock, I will have a look at the black stuff.....

Mild steel is usually cold-rolled (i.e., CRS) low-carbon. It's pretty easy to machine, but will distort from internal stresses when cut. So you normally need to do roughing cuts on both sides to relieve the stress and distortion before finish passes.

Latest posts

Back