Selection of Steel to use

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is from the McMaster Catalog. What they call Low Carbon Steel is most likely 1018.

Tim

v3-steel-chart-j01-digitals.png
j01-metalshardnessp1-gis.png

Hi Richard,

I Second that request as well.

Great idea
May I recommend a copy of the Machinery's Handbook to you.

My copy of the 25th edition has some 40+ pages on the properties of 'standard steels' and then there are almost as many for 'tool steels' . . . .

You should be able to find something 2 or 3 editions behind current quite cheaply.
There are changes between editions but a lot of this kind of stuff - - - -well - - - its been there for LOTS of years!!!

(I found some older editions because they still included some things have are no longer included - - - things keep a changing!)

Greetings all,

I am looking at placing an order for materials for my personal inventory.

The supplier I am looking at using has a huge variety of steel to choose from.

1137, 11L37, 12L14, 1215, 11L41, 1144

I know their are people here with years of experience, so /I'm looking for advice.

My intension for all these metals are for the general purpose of mill work and lathe word for making small engine projects, and others.

I know many many people us the 12L14 because of its lead content and super easy of machining.

But, should I have other types on hand if I want to make add ons to the lathe and mill? or when shafts are needed? or for pistons? etc,etc
i.e. tooling for the lathe and mill (modified tap and die holders,)

Im willing to do one big purchase to get me started.

My framer once told me, better to be looking at it than looking for it.

Thanks in advance
KJ
I use only 1144 for rounds square bar stock and 12L14 for hex.
For high carbon I use O1 or W1 it also ground .
Keep simple.

There are a lot of material on market use for manufacturing engineer for a part. But if replace a part you use 1144 sometimes O1 or W1

Dave

Latest posts

Back