V12 Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a pretty cool method of getting the flats positioned correctly. Never would have thought of using the rotary table loose like that.

Also like that little clamp mounted in the vise. Does that have a v-groove milled in the bottom jaw?

Chuck

That's a pretty cool method of getting the flats positioned correctly. Never would have thought of using the rotary table loose like that.

Also like that little clamp mounted in the vise. Does that have a v-groove milled in the bottom jaw?

Chuck
Just thought of that method last night while trying to get to sleep (thats when you get the best ideas :D)
Yes there is a v-groove in the bottom and thats a Randall Cox gizmo that he mentions in his open 6 build.

2day i finished the cams and will be making the valve lifters next. Then it will be on to the valves and valve guides. Here is a short video on how I made the cams.
[ame]http://youtu.be/q7lqZK_8o2g[/ame]

Finished the lifters and half the valve guides today. Lifters a made of 1144 stress proof steel. Guides a brass, lucited and pressed in the head using the mill vise.

P1010001.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

Had to work on the lathe today. The cross slide digital scale for the dro had an issue. Got it repaired (I hope) and started work on the valves.

Been thinking about the distributor or distributors. If I use just one the rpms will be limited to about 2000 rpm due to the 12000 sparks per minuet limitation of the cdi unit.

Two carbs or three? I don't know yet.

Going to show my engines tomorrow at a train show in Dalton Ohio, so will wait for Monday to get back to work on this project.

Last edited:
Been thinking about the distributor or distributors. If I use just one the rpms will be limited to about 2000 rpm due to the 12000 sparks per minuet limitation of the cdi unit.

Roy Sholl has CDI units that he modifies to 30,000 SPM. Contact him and see if it is something that would work better for you.

S/S Machine & Engineering LLC
16940 County Road T
Fayette, OH 43521
ph. (419) 452-6042

email: [email protected]

Finished the rocker arm towers and a few valves today. Need to get some more 1144 steel to finish the valves. Cam shaft and cams are in place with the drive sprockets installed. Still trying to determin what type of distributor to use. I ordered one of Roy's 30K spm cdi units so I will be using one distributor. Won't be too long till it will look like something that can run.

P1010001.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010004.jpg

Sweet! Can't wait to hear what this thing will sound like. Gonna be one impressive looking (and hopefully sounding) engine.

Chuck

Finished turning the 24 valves. Made the exhaust pipes and the inlet nipples. Next I'll lap the valve seats and install them in the heads.

P1010001.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

Yikes, 24 valves. You're a better man than I am, Dick!

Chuck

Just watching the construction sequence. Another great tutorial.

Can you give the source for the 2:1 sprocket and chain?

Frank

Just watching the construction sequence. Another great tutorial.

Can you give the source for the 2:1 sprocket and chain?

Frank

Hi Frank, I got the sprockets from McMasters Carr. 11 tooth is #6793K3 and the 22 tooth #6793K15. The #25 chain from Amizon.com.

The valve train is installed and timed. Distributor brackets are made and installed. The distributor will be a long tube and rod design. It will be the length of the engine and mounted between the cylingers. The rod will be driven by the upper sprocket. It has the timed contacts mounted into the rod and contacting the center conductor. The tube slides over the rod and has the pick-ups for each cylinder mounted through the tube to make contact with the appropriate contact in the rod. A short plug wire will run from the pick-up to the plug. Sounds kind of confusing. I'll post some pics when I get the parts made.

A short video of the valve train in action:
[ame]http://youtu.be/9G_KrZVufbY[/ame]

Amazing work!

How fast is it turning in the video?

-Bill

Back