V12 Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dick-

Thanks for the sprocket/chain source and for the part numbers.

Frank

I caught a cold this week thats really kicked my butt. However I managed to get the distributor almost completed.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyvhiZWm850[/ame]

P1010002.jpg

Last edited:
Brilliant distributor design Dick, I love how it keeps all the plug leads so short.

Regards.

Steve.

Nice job on the distributor! How long did you agonize over the hole positions before you actually started drilling?

I was surfing through your youtube videos last night. You've got some really nice engines. I love your take on the Hoglett. I've never seen one idle that slowly. Got a nice lope to it.

Chuck

Dick,

I'm enjoying your build and I'm looking forward to seeing this V12 run Nice job on the build thread.

Will you be showing your models at NAMES this year?

Regards,

Chuck

Nice job on the distributor! How long did you agonize over the hole positions before you actually started drilling?

I was surfing through your youtube videos last night. You've got some really nice engines. I love your take on the Hoglett. I've never seen one idle that slowly. Got a nice lope to it.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck for your kind words. I got the distributor installed today. It worked out pretty well. I gave it a lot of thought before I started cuttin and drillin.

Dick,

I'm enjoying your build and I'm looking forward to seeing this V12 run Nice job on the build thread.

Will you be showing your models at NAMES this year?

Regards,

Chuck
I've never been to NAMES. I only started showing my engines last year. I stick close to home most of the time, so I guess the answer is probably not.

Hi Dick
Nice work!
How did you press your crankshaft together in right angles and get it straight?
I have to do a new one to my inline six, it doesnt stay in place anymore.
Ove

Hi Dick
It is looking great !
On the distributor , are you worried that the poly on poly may gall from friction ? Are you going to lube it ?
If you are going to lube it I would suggest "Super Lube " It has very good dielectric properties. You can get it most anywhere. My local True Value carries it.

Just thinking out loud.

pACE3-5758517dt.jpg

Scott

Hi Dick
It is looking great !
On the distributor , are you worried that the poly on poly may gall from friction ? Are you going to lube it ?
If you are going to lube it I would suggest "Super Lube " It has very good dielectric properties. You can get it most anywhere. My local True Value carries it.

Just thinking out loud.

pACE3-5758517dt.jpg

Scott
Hi Scott, yes I did have some concern about gall so I machined a little extra clearance on the center tube. I have a tube of the super lube. Good stuff. Thanks for your comment.

Hi Dick
Nice work!
How did you press your crankshaft together in right angles and get it straight?
I have to do a new one to my inline six, it doesnt stay in place anymore.
Ove
Hi Cam, You really have to tighten down on those clamping bolts on that crank. I had trouble with mine twisting once. My fix was locktite and a long handle on the allen wrench.

The secret to building a strait crank is make sure you are drilling strait holes. The crank on my V12 is pressed, loctited and pinned.

Ok. I was hoping to see your work at NAMES.

Zanesville is practically in your backyard. It is a small show, but a good one.

Regards,

Chuck

I may show at Zanesville this year. I was down there in 2011 just to look around. I'll have some of my engines at the Mansfield fairgrounds this saturday at the train show.

Finished the spark plugs yesterday and the flywheel yesterday. Experimental intake manifold completed today. Need a gas tank yet. Should run this week !! Dose anyone know of a sourse for small spark plug caps that won't break the bank ??

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

Last edited:
Man, Dick, that is one snappy looking engine! I am more than just a little impressed! That's a beauty.

I've heard of people using 90 degree plastic vacuum hose fittings from an auto parts store for spark plug caps. I also think someone on this board or modelenginemaker.com cast some caps out of RTV silicone, but I can't find it...

Chuck

Thanks for the info on the plug caps Chuck. I think that's just what I'm looking for.

Well it spoke yesterday evening. I cranked it over with my electric drill and it ran for about 2 seconds and quit. :confused: It lost spark and I haven't found the cause yet. I think maybe the hall effect transistor.

Back