V12 Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A longer stroke, allowed by a longer block would have a larger rotational inertia, and the gyroscopic effect would be more. Planes in the past like the Sopwith Camel with a rotary engine had a big problem with this, making turning to the right an adventure. According to what I have read. I've never flown

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

Hi Dick in Ohio

Very interesting build I will be following your progress.

Slightly off topic...

I did notice in your picture of sawing your cylinders that you have a block at the back of the vise to keep it square when tight. Here is a little tip that will take about ten minutes to do and save you from finding the right size filler block. Just drill and tap your moveable jaw and put a length of threaded rod in it. see pic.

Scott

P1030140.JPG

Great idea Scott. thanks

Finished the pistons today. 1" x 1" with two ring grooves .038 wide x .050" deep.

P1010001.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

Last edited:
Did a little more sketching this weekend. Think I will go with over head cams.

V12-2.jpg

Did a little machining done today. Finished the two cylinder mounting plates. These will set on top of the four uprights. Im going to attempt to turn a one piece crankshaft from 1144 stress proof. That should be fun :confused:.

P1010001.jpg

I'm trying to imagine the timing sequence for that.

Hope it rewards you with that sweet Ferrari sound. I'm assuming you've seen the scale model Ferrari 308(?) the guy from Germany built? It has that sound.

Hope it rewards you with that sweet Ferrari sound. I'm assuming you've seen the scale model Ferrari 308(?) the guy from Germany built? It has that sound.

Well we can always dream, I'll take what ever sound it gives me.
Got the material for the crankshaft today (1144 stress proof). Gona change my mind and go with a built-up crank. Also going to go with pushrods and rocker arms for the valves.

P1010001.jpg

P1010002.jpg

Hi Dick,
Boy that thing is looking good. I just noticed in your avatar that you're from Loudonville, we're almost neighbors. I'm from Strongsville.

Hi Dick,
Boy that thing is looking good. I just noticed in your avatar that you're from Loudonville, we're almost neighbors. I'm from Strongsville.

Road trip! Probably more like snowmobile trip, with the exception of today through Friday. :( I would love to see George's workshop even though every thing he makes leaves me feeling quite inadequate. :rolleyes:

Hi Dick,

Don't think ive ever been to strongsville. Yep been in loudonville all my life. Anything farther than 20 miles is a pretty fur piece any more.

Born in Mansfield, lived in Lexington for a while. Still have some, but not much family down there. Not sure how much you know about Richland County. Dad ran Richland Blyeprint. Grandmother was a local "famous" artist. Margaret Swank.

Born in Mansfield, lived in Lexington for a while. Still have some, but not much family down there. Not sure how much you know about Richland County. Dad ran Richland Blyeprint. Grandmother was a local "famous" artist. Margaret Swank.

Small world. The name Swank rings a few bells.

There are a few of them around there. Mostly Belleville.

Dick I-O....

Will the V-12 drawings be made available for purchase? I hope.....

********************************************************************************************

Now, at this stage, the engine is starting to resemble the "Artus V-12" air-cooled Aero engine. Nice!

Frank

Dick I-O....

Will the V-12 drawings be made available for purchase? I hope.....

********************************************************************************************

Now, at this stage, the engine is starting to resemble the "Artus V-12" air-cooled Aero engine. Nice!

Frank

Bronx, I don't have drawings. I work from sketches and just kind of wing it.

Latest posts

Back