V12 Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's nice. Can you elaborate on your pinning method. Are they tapered & pressed in with Locktite for example? Did you also have some sort of assembly jig for all the components so they held in position for drilling? The counterweights look black, or is that the lighting?

No jig was used. The crankshaft is put together in thee pairs. Each pair is made-up of two individual webs and a middle double web with the correct 120deg offset. Each pair is assembled, loctite 609, and pinned with a harden straight 1/8 dowel. Each of the three pairs are then put together with the proper throw using a digital angle gauge and pins. That's probably clear as mud. Hard to explain.:confused:

The material used for the webs is 1144 stressproof steel which has a dark gray outside color.

Im waiting on material for the connecting rods. Today I made the frame legs from .375 drill rod and mounted them in place. Also turned and parted 30 piston rings (1.001 od x .945 id x .038 wide). Snapped them and set the gap spring tension. To do this I lay it on a fire brick with a spacer in the gap and heat to cherry red. They are now ready to be fitted the the pistons. Hope I made enough.

P1010006.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010005.jpg

I finish one connecting rod assembly today. I mounted it on the crank with the pistons in the cylinders and cranked it over a couple hundred rpms. It all worked as it should. Five more sets to go. :)

P1010001.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010006.jpg

damn, thats alot of rings... about 18 more than I would want to make. :)

Finished all the connecting rods last night. All the pistons, rings, and rods are installed in the frame. Put one end of the crank in the lathe chuck and the other in the tail stock and ran it for about 45 mins to break in the rings.

Still turns over pretty tough, but thats a lot of ring drag. What is the best lubricant to use when breaking in new rings??? Any suggestions.

Here is a video of the engine mounted in my lathe to break in the rings.[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkEFB8J50lg[/ame]

I would like to make 1/4-32 spark plugs for this engine. Never made any before. Anyone have a good receipt ??

Last edited:
I would like to make 1/4-32 spark plugs for this engine. Never made any before. Anyone have a good receipt ??

i have made a v8 engine with RIMFIRE spark plug and work very very good..
go go spark plug power.. :)

The last four engines I'v built have been single cylinder hit & miss type. It's time to get back to something a little more challenging. A twelve cylinger, 60 deg V I think will be a good test of my patients. What I have in mind is not a racer type, but a early industrial type. Slow rpms, strong looking, with a lot of moving parts to watch.

My building style is a little unorthodox. I have the plan in my head and design and build on the fly. I will put up a few pictures and drawings as soon as I figure out how. I think I need a place to store my images so they can be downloaded to this site ?

Work begins tomorrow.

Hey,
Wise Idea, Gr8 keep it up.
We all are looking forward to see your V12. Plz post the pics of the machining and also the Drawings(Plz) So that we could replicate it.
Eagerly Waiting to see the miniature beast roaring.
Cheers
Deep

Worked on the heads today. Drilled, counter drilled, and tapped the spark plug holes (1/4-32).

I found gbritnell's post on making spark plugs. So will be using his method to build a dozen for this engine.

P1010015.jpg

P1010016.jpg

The spark plugs are 2/3 complete. I am going to set them aside to finish later. Its time to move on to the cam shaft. I have attached a short video to explain the cams and cam shaft assembly.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzJOy3uxMag[/ame]

P1010002.jpg

Latest posts

Back