V12 Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DickInOhio

Reaction score
The last four engines I'v built have been single cylinder hit & miss type. It's time to get back to something a little more challenging. A twelve cylinger, 60 deg V I think will be a good test of my patients. What I have in mind is not a racer type, but a early industrial type. Slow rpms, strong looking, with a lot of moving parts to watch.

My building style is a little unorthodox. I have the plan in my head and design and build on the fly. I will put up a few pictures and drawings as soon as I figure out how. I think I need a place to store my images so they can be downloaded to this site ?

Work begins tomorrow.

Hello Dick in Ohio...

If this new concept turns out as well as the engines that you already have built, like the Flat-6 Boxer style engines that are posted on You Tube, the V12 should be magnificent sight to behold.

I have fastened my seat-belt, and looking forward to the ride.

Best of luck with the coming build.

Frank

This is a cross section of the engine I will be building. Its not complete, just the starting place. This is a 1" bore, 1.25" stroke, 60 deg V, IC Engine. It is an open frame design similar to my inline six, which is a Randall Cox design.

snip v12.jpg

Last edited:
A fe w pics of todays progress:Turned the cylinders and cast iron liners. Cylinders are ready of boring to except the liners. My be I'll get that done tomorrow.

12462696323_2b35ed3229.jpg

12462526235_433380482c.jpg

12462692243_840fdd4a90.jpg

12465045324_31e644929a.jpg

12464705633_0c3efceb5a.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dick. I'm intrigued by the liner & cylinder geometry. Is the intent to push the liner lip down so its top surface is exactly flush & coincident with top of cylinder shell? Is that for more contact area to the head or something? Would you face them together once joined in order to achieve this?

SNAG-0021.jpg

The liner will extend .010" above the cylinder for a better seal with the head. I don't use head gaskets on my engines.

Hi Dick, I haven't come across that method of attaching 2 conrods together, I've led a very sheltered life. I'm following along keenly.

Paul.

Hi Dick, I haven't come across that method of attaching 2 conrods together, I've led a very sheltered life. I'm following along keenly.

Paul.
Hi Paul, Ive never used this method either. We'll see how it goes. Saw this on the web and thought it looked interesting.

drysdale-godzilla-vtwin-connecting-rods.jpg

Today I honed the cylinder liners. The way I did this was to fill my work sink with about 6" of water. Then while holding the cylinder in my hand under water, I ran a 1" BRM Flex-Hone back and forth through it with an cordless drill. The hone is a 240 grit. It takes about 30 seconds to produce a nice clean bore. I then coat the liners with wd40.

I got the pistons about half done. Enough for today.

I have seen this type of rod setup but having built a radial I just wonder how the timing events are going to be with different length rods?
gbritnell

Last edited:
I have seen this type of rod setup but having built a radial I just wonder how the timing events are going to be with different length rods?
gbritnell

The distance from the crankshaft connecting point to the piston end connecting points are the same when all are connected. A little confusing, but thats how I see it. Thanks for your comment.

gbritnell is right.
If you attach the small linked rod somewere off the center of the master rod, the linked point is not on a circle, but on a oval path.
Thus the pistons on the linked rods have different strokes and the timing is different, too.
The piston reaches top dead center when the axis of the linked rod is directed to the instantaneous center of rotation of the master rod.
To get a grab on this you need basic knowledge of engineering mechanics because the movement is quite complex, so if this confuses you and you're not in for performance, just ignore it.

Hi Dick-

It gets more interesting each time you post something. This engine reminds me of the 1917 'Liberty' V12 Aero Engines.

**********************************************************************************************

Is there an advantage to using the crank and the connecting rod configuration that's pictured here? Just curious why this configuration as opposed to the conventional, more common, crank/fork and blade con-rod hook up?

Frank

gbritnell is right.
If you attach the small linked rod somewere off the center of the master rod, the linked point is not on a circle, but on a oval path.
Thus the pistons on the linked rods have different strokes and the timing is different, too.
The piston reaches top dead center when the axis of the linked rod is directed to the instantaneous center of rotation of the master rod.
To get a grab on this you need basic knowledge of engineering mechanics because the movement is quite complex, so if this confuses you and you're not in for performance, just ignore it.

gbritnell I need to thank you for calling attention to this connecting rod design. I never gave any thought to the motion of the rods. I was only thinking about them reaching tdc at the correct time. I need to give this more thought. :confused: Till, thank you for the explanation.

Hi Dick-

It gets more interesting each time you post something. This engine reminds me of the 1917 'Liberty' V12 Aero Engines.

**********************************************************************************************

Is there an advantage to using the crank and the connecting rod configuration that's pictured here? Just curious why this configuration as opposed to the conventional, more common, crank/fork and blade con-rod hook up?

Frank

Hi BronxFigs,

I'm not familiar with the Liberty. I'll have to check it out. I guess there is no advantage at all. I was just looking to try something different. Fork and blade would be a good alternative.

We have been talking about engines like this the last few days in my "Materials in industry" class. According to my teacher, this design shortened the block to help in-air control. I'm not sure how he "knows" buts it's a thought, I'm not sure if I believe it.

GJ

Sent from my iPhone using Model Engines

Back