tiny four cycle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So another part to the scrap bin.
With the size engine you are building your scrap bin can be the size of a match box.

Been following your post closely as I am in the process of building an engine with 3/8" dia. piston and 1/2" stroke. Been wondering how I am going to get 2 valves & a spark plug in that small area. Your post has given me a lot of hope now.

You mentioned using a 8-32 cap screw for the spark plug but later said it was made from alum body, teflon insulator, & drill blank electrode. Did I miss something there? Have you tested the plug? Looks like you are going with a surface gap. Sure would like more details on how you made it. It is considerably smaller than Geo Britnell's plug.

Sorry about the plug, I forgot that I left that as a dead end.
I was going to use a stainless cap head screw.
After looking at it it just looked cheap, so I started on one out of Al hex, and accidentally drilled all the way through for the electrode.
So I decided to make it a surface gap plug. I dont think it will be hot enough but I havent tested it yet.
I made a coil but it dosent have enough kick, I found a small transformer that I think will work.

I havent drilled the ports in the head for the carb and exhaust but they are going to be at 90's from the spark plug end of the head.
-B-

by the way, dont laugh at my pic (well not hard) I dont have any drawings of it on computer yet.

DSC02062.JPG

I got the crankshaft done, but I cant find my camera.
I need to start keeping it in the small parts can, so I know where it is.
I will post some pics when I find it.
It shouldnt be hard to find, it is only the color of all of the swarf piles I have accumulated
-B-

Hey look I found my camera, it was in my bedroom.
I dont remember puting it there.

Here are some pics of the crank shaft.
The threads were a P I T A to cut, I guess I hardened it when turning down the shaft.

I am working on the rod and piston now.
I will take progress pics unlike the cs.
-B-

DSC02128.JPG

DSC02129.JPG

DSC02130.JPG

DSC02131.JPG

Back again, I cant leave this thing alone.
I had to modify the crank case to accept the rod, I made a temporary rod out of brass to check for this very problem.
After a quick fix Im back on track.
I not sure what I am going to make the rod out of, probably stainless.

here are a few more pics.
-B-

DSC02132.JPG

DSC02132.JPG

DSC02134.JPG

DSC02137.JPG

DSC02139.JPG

I havent had much garage time, but I have been playing with Alibre.
I will eventually have a cad drawing of the engine that may never run.
-B-

cc.GIF

Back