tiny four cycle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spedy,
I drew most of the plans before I started, some of the pieces I am waiting till I get to them so I can find out how much room I have.
They are on my drawing board, after I finish I will put them in cad I have autocad and alibre, I'm not sure which one I will use, I believe I can import to both.
but yes I will post a copy of them when they are complete.
I am using a 7x12 lathe and a Grizzly 12 inch swing mini mill.
I am using probably the smallest of both so I'm sure your equipment will be fine.

Thanks rob,
right now im grilling chicken, tending to my daughter and working on my .5" spark plug.
The day just keeps getting better.

I have almost completed the head less the valves.
I couldnt wait so I mounted it to see what it would look like.
My design has a few flaws and of course need to be corrected.
The valves are going to ve very close to the cylinder wall so I will have to move them in the drawing.
By moving the valves I have to change the rocker arm mount, by changing that ...?... :wall: :shrug: :redface2:
here are some pics as of now, I had to turn down the 2-56 screws to fit the counter sink.

DSC02018.JPG

DSC02019.JPG

DSC02020.JPG

DSC02021.JPG

DSC02021.JPG

Its been a few days (weeks?) but the progress is just as slow, I hav made the valve guides three times and finally got a pair I like.
I have been dealing with a lot of personal issues so I havent had much garage time.
I'm sure everone knows what thats like.
here is a pic of the first one pressed in.
hopefully I will get the valves done this weekend and to start on the cam and housing.
I did get a chance to rebuild my lathe and it runs like new again.

DSC02055.JPG

DSC02056.JPG

I got a little more done today.
finished the valve guides and pressed them in.
also made a spark plug to scale, not sure if it will be "hot" enough
I couldnt resist adding details even though they wont be seen.
-B-

DSC02063.JPG

DSC02063.JPG

DSC02061.JPG

DSC02061.JPG

DSC02058.JPG

DSC02067.JPG

Hi Krown Kustoms - I really like the tiny spark plug that you made. Could you please elaborate a little more on it's construction and perhaps a photo of it's different parts. Thanks - Billmc

Ah, wow, that little sparkplug is interesting. That alone makes me want to build an IC engine.

After about a foot of .25 steel rod I came up with two .600 x .130 valves.

That will be all tonight, my eyes burn and my patients has been tested.

I have made some small parts but this engine has alot of really small parts, its definitely pushing my limits.
-B-

DSC02069.JPG

DSC02069.JPG

DSC02070.JPG

DSC02074.JPG

Maybe we shouldn't use coins for scale...or anything for scale. :)
Geesh those are small.
Nice work.
Spark plugs...aren't they like diamonds to a girlfriend/wife/partner?

I didn't think much about them until I saw people making them on this forum.
Guess that makes me a....

well... I showed my proud achievement of a .060 turned shaft on the valve without bending, and my tiny spark plug to my wife and she said well what is it and those are nice dear. :mad:

I wish she liked spark plugs instead of diamonds, I would still have my 500hp corvette.
-B-

Those valves are tiny :eek: :bow:
Boy oh boy, I have sooooo much to learn :-[

Yes, nuts is one of the names I get allot when I show someone the drawings.
sometimes I feel nuts when Im working that close to the chuck, like when I had to face the valves. The shafts were almost too small for the chuck to hold them.

Cobra, I would have thought the Whittle had even smaller valves.
I have been following your build, that is a good looking engine.

I am still not sure how well it will run, it is my first ic.
I have another started but it got put away for a while. It is a inline twin 2 stroke.

-B-

Krown Kustoms,
You know, now that I think of it, 2 valves have to fit in a .406 dia cyl. plus 1/4-32 glow plug. The head drawing don't look bad either but thats about 4:1 The drawing has the valve at about 10:1 scale. I haven't been paying attention scratch.gif
But then again, I'm so poor, I can't even pay attention :big:

Tony

PS getting back to work on the V8 tonight and I'll have a good look at the head and valves

KK
Oh man I love your tiny small valves. Question: are you going to use Hall sensor ignition for that engine. Well when I think it over.
I will not be surprised if you come up with some tiny small breaker-point Thm: ;D

CS

KK,
Small stuff is fun, isn't it. Looks good.

Tony,
0.406 = 0.460 ? You are probably grinning saying "I made you look !!" ;D ;D
Gail in NM

Gail,
Sorry for making you look! I was looking over the plans last night trying to figure out what material in the box of bits was going to be the cyl's crank, cam...... I was picking up numbers in my head and OOPPS! I'm at work now and can't look (I should keep a plan copy here).

Tony

CS A friend has a bunch of Model A's (sorry, anyone who restores them calls them an A Model), I took a look at the points and I think I will scale down one and see how it works. I made a coil and it has a pretty good bite to it :mad:
I just hope the spark plug will hold up I may need to build one with a bigger gap.

I also know someone who built a Wall Water Witch and used the points from an A Model. You can move the points to adjust the timing and works well as a throttle.

-B-
p.s. is music wire the same thing as piano wire? There is a local music shop I was going to check. ???

Back