The future of the "engine kit"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going home for the tool change must be an option in Mach. At my tool changes my tool just pops up to the clearance height. Then you can move any where you want to change and setup the tool. After the change and cycle start is pressed my machine returns to the spot where it stopped for the change. Z will not move so after I set my tool to its height I need to raise the tool to a safe height so it won't crash on the return to last spot.

Ok I think I know the difference, I set everything to home before I started because I thought the code would send it there
So next Tim I will just load the code and I should be able to do the same as you do

What I do is locate the center of the stock and zero out X and Y. Then I load the tool and l locate the surface of the work piece and zero Z. I don't deal with home position switches or anything else. I just setup and go. I would imagine they have there place if you ran parts in a fixture day after day. Most of what we do are one off pieces so I just don't bother.

Oh yeah. If you start a part don't stop in the middle of the run. Trying to locate X and Y again on a half done piece is a little tough but not impossible. Your best chance at a great outcome is to see the program through from start to finish. The second side you will need to see all 3 programs through without stopping. Says so right in the directions. Hahaha hah!

Ron,
I would be in the dissenting crowd in the "make the CAD files available" debate. After spending on the order of 300-400+ hours on producing a professional set of drawings, and another 500+ on a prototype, handing over the CAD file to a buyer and then seeing it posted all over the Internet for free just isn't what I have in mind. It's a NO for me for either CAD or pdf.

Also, the serialized articles in ME, HSM, MEB (and the subsequent books that follow) most certainly still have their place.

Call me what you will, but that's how it is with me.

Thanks,
Todd.

Todd Snouffer
Littlelocos Model Engineering
www.littlelocos.com
www.facebook.com/littlelocos

I ...

I think you ought to work on this idea, we are past the days when a design was serialized in ME magazine and guys built from that. CAD files and gcode is the future, lead on!

On my mill for a tool change it stops at the clearance height, and like Steve I just raise the spindle for a change. I use a 1" gauge block to set Z0. Substituting a tool with a different diameter won't result in a good part since tool radius compensation isn't being used here. A 2mm tool is smaller than 1/8 and larger than 1/16, so feed rates would be off in either case.

Another thing to be aware of is tool stickout, which should be as little as possible.

Ron,
I would be in the dissenting crowd in the "make the CAD files available" debate. After spending on the order of 300-400+ hours on producing a professional set of drawings, and another 500+ on a prototype, handing over the CAD file to a buyer and then seeing it posted all over the Internet for free just isn't what I have in mind. It's a NO for me for either CAD or pdf.

Also, the serialized articles in ME, HSM, MEB (and the subsequent books that follow) most certainly still have their place.

Call me what you will, but that's how it is with me.

Thanks,
Todd.

Todd Snouffer
Littlelocos Model Engineering
www.littlelocos.com
www.facebook.com/littlelocos

There should be a way to code it to the bios serial number of the computer it is opened on so it cant be shared. Doing this would only allow the file to run on the computer that the file has been saved on and activated with an unlock code. Im not sure how this would work though once the file is loaded into mach 3 or what ever post processor, But im sure some super "Geek" out there knows how to do it
I really like the idea of selling the cad and cam files, I also understand the concerns of piracy. Just need to explore some options for protecting your investment :)

I think I just gave away a million dollar idea....LOL

For the CNC'd parts I see no need to supply cad files or printed/pdf drawings beyond general assembly drawings. Those, plus builders notes should suffice. For the non-cnc'd parts drawings would of course be necessary.

Last edited:
Here are a few photos of the final article and my mill.
The concept from the builders point of view is excellent. The ens result is looks really cool. Is there any chance that we will have the importunity to test a few more components for this little gem? if the security issues could be fixed this must work.

Buchanan

P1030257.JPG

P1030258.JPG

P1030259.JPG

Here are a few photos of the final article and my mill.
The concept from the builders point of view is excellent. The end result is looks really cool.

Buchanan

After going through the entire process,

Did you run into any problems with the directions?

Did you have advanced notice on material and tools so you could gather everything before you start?

I just want to make sure that everything was clearly presented.

Steve.

There were no problems at all. It was an absolute pleasure. I was not sure which tool to load first until I opened the G code and then every thing was clear. Feeds and speeds were good. The holding jig worked a treat, blank sizes were good. I did not realize that the final top face of the block was going to be the head gasket face so did not machine it to a fine finish. You might make the blank a few thou over thick and include a finishing cut on the sealing face. It would make the setting up of the blank less critical. But if I was making an actual engine I would most probably make a spare head or two as it is so easy and correct my surface finish then. I think you did an excellent job on the whole thing.
There was no uncertainty about whether the G code would work as it loaded fine and the tool path was clear on Mach 3. The preparatory instructions were perfect. The step 1 to 4 photos were good to as one knew what to expect. I would say it is far easier to make something this way compared to setting up a casting and if there was a disaster one can start again immediately as long as one had sufficient material for another blank.
Thank you for a very enjoyable trial.

Buchanan

Steve got top half done no problem it when real smooth the Taig had no problem speed and feeds were great If I cane do it with my limited CNC any body can. I do think a DXF print would be nice to have just to be able to see were your going.
GREAT JOB thanks

My mill is set up metric. But the G code is in imperial so no change is needed to make the part in imperial.

Buchanan

My Code Gave T1 Center drill T2 .116 32# drill then T3 28# drill .116
I believe this should have been T3 .140

My Code Gave T1 Center drill T2 .116 32# drill then T3 28# drill .116
I believe this should have been T3 .140

I was more focused on the directions aspect so I just made sure the information was correct at the tool changes. That is the kind of thing that would need to be cleaned up if I decide to put out a "CNC kit"

Bring the kit on but think DXF file would help maybe some one might want to change something but i would buy this is a great idea

Bring the kit on but think DXF file would help maybe some one might want to change something but i would buy this is a great idea

Its a little bit more complicated than that. The DXF files don't even look like the part. They represent the boundries of the tool paths. The crankcase will be 10 steps of both 2D and 2.5D programs that will take over 14 hours to cut. As a side gets cut and material gets removed and that affects how the next side is done. If not considered you will waste a lot of time cutting material that is not there (cutting air). All these programs will be run and tested to work one after another and be as effective as possible removing material and not cutting air. I'm not sure it would be a good idea to change anything as it might have an unseen ripple effect down the line.

Here is the DXF file for the left side. I don't think it would be a lot of help to you depending on what you would want to change.

Best bet is to run the code, start to finish, the way it is. It has been tested and refined and known to work. If the intent of the change is to save time it might just be faster to run the code than to spend a lot of time editing or re-camming to save half an hour.

Untitled.jpg

Steve I was thinking more like looking at print just to make a measurement and check measured results

I was thinking, as I searched around for an inexpensive source of 1/16 carbide ballnose endmills, that it would be nice to be able to regen the gcode changing the 1/16 cutter to a 1.5mm one (which I have). It would be easy for me to do this if I had the cambam source, but I recognize the problems inherent in supplying it.

It just isn't practical to produce 2 versions of the code with different tool choices. One could easily gen the code and simulate it, but testing it prior to release would be a huge undertaking, taking this project as an example.

The way the instructions have been produced should eliminate any problems with folks buying and then not being able to machine for lack of the right tooling.

The instructions really have been very well done.

Pardon my musing.....

Latest posts

Back