The future of the "engine kit"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get some feedback on an idea i have. Most engines we build are from drawings and sometimes casting kits. I was considering offering "CNC kits" that would be all the drawings and Gcode for an engine build. Also would include detailed instructions for setup of each operation. Unlike castings, the setup is easier because you would be starting with square blocks with edges to locate. Sometimes castings can be a little hard to figure out where to start.

The down side is that you would be stuck with the tool choices and feeds and speeds that would most likely be slow with smaller cutters so that small converted mills could be used. Also the code would be posted as Mach3 code because the vast majority of hobby operators use Mach3.

Would there be interest in something like this or am i the only one who would buy something like this.

Your thoughts please

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByModel Engines1436109801.543934.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 709
Hi Steve
Interesting idea. However as you noted, not everyone has the same machine so feeds and speeds would vary greatly as would the size of roughing cutters.
Also, I am very leery of running someone else's code ( No offense intended ) and would likely go through it line by line in my backplotter just to be sure. I think I might be more interested in nice clean solid models in a universal format such as iges or step so I could do the cam work myself making it more suited to my machine. And saving me all the CAD work.
I realize that not everyone has good cam skills and this may be an attractive solution to many, but for others maybe not so much.

Maybe offer it both ways ?

Just my thoughts.

Ps. The mini bike engine is looking real good ! :)

Scott

I like the idea
It would depend on price and if the code can be loaded and run without to many problems
I don't have a lot of experience with CNC, I did convert my mill and put together the electronics
It does run on Mach3
View attachment 77738
View attachment 77739

Love your set up Thm:Thm:
are you using one power supply per stepper driver board??
what Interface board are you using looks familiar :wall:

cheers
Luc

Hi Steve
great idea. However as you noted, not everyone has the same machine so feeds and speeds would vary widely. If codes were submitted with g41 then the offset would be easier to figure out.
Or use the smaller cutter possible then people with experience could change the value depending of the mill the have.

It's more fool proof to change Gcodes from a Sherline to a Monster then the inverse . :fan:

I would suggest the CAD files, with some setup and process documentation. If you look at Jerry Howells V4 he shows several pages of the steps in making the block. The first step is a rectangular block where he shows the holes to drill, progressively cutting away until the block is made. I think these steps with the CAD and include your G code, with documentation of the tools used. For some that may be ready to run.

I think you ought to work on this idea, we are past the days when a design was serialized in ME magazine and guys built from that. CAD files and gcode is the future, lead on!

I would suggest the CAD files, with some setup and process documentation. If you look at Jerry Howells V4 he shows several pages of the steps in making the block. The first step is a rectangular block where he shows the holes to drill, progressively cutting away until the block is made. I think these steps with the CAD and include your G code, with documentation of the tools used. For some that may be ready to run.

I think you ought to work on this idea, we are past the days when a design was serialized in ME magazine and guys built from that. CAD files and gcode is the future, lead on!

I'll email the document that would come with the code and see if you think im on the right track.

This may be a dumb suggestion since I have no Gcode experience, but in most program languages you can assign values to variables. Couldn't you substitute variables in the place of feed rate numbers?

This would allow global changes to movement commands just by reassigning a new value to a variable.

Just a thought.

Feed rate and spindle speed are fairly easy to deal with- most controls offer feedrate override so you can easily adjust it. For model parts like this there is little choice in tool size- it will mostly be dictated by the part size.

I encourage Steve to follow up on this idea- Id love to make that engine, but I am way to lazy to do all the CAD and CAM work, so getting the files ready to run for $50 is a bargain that I would buy.

Having CAD files in dxf or other formats would be great. Saving the time to re-draw for CAM or just being able to figure out things even for manual machining. The challenge would be what format would be the best. DXF usually works for most. For me the CAD would be the most useful. I really would not like to run code from another source on my CNC.

Brian

Hey Steve I think it's a great idea with a few bugs to work out.
I would be interested in testing and helping you out.
I have a fully homemade cnc that I have used your code on before ( although I believe I hade to chamge a few things but can't remember what)
Even just the cad work would possibly work if the format is compatible.
If I can be of any help just let me know.
[email protected]

Chris

Steve
Im a novice at cnc I am willing to help if I can
It may also help me learn more about milling with cnc
I had a mill that all Gcode was typed in, it was all done in Dos, rather slow process

Michael

Steve

It is an excellent idea. Try it on something simple like a flywheel and put it out there and then wait for the complaints/compliments.
Don't stop please.

Buchanan

Have to agree, a sample part would be a great idea as proof of concept. Might also be good for wetting the appetite as well.

Latest posts

Back