The future of the "engine kit"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Steve,

I haven't logged in a long time but felt the need when I saw this.

I and many others I know would be VERY interested if you planned on offering these kits.

I am both a mach3 and cambam user so I would love to purchase the raw files. Even if it was just the gcode it would be good enough for me.

I purchased the engine plans from you and have some rudy engines and have purchased other plans in the past from other vendors and always wondered if there was something like this availiable.

I plan on running your sample this weekend and will post results.

Thanks for offering up something new that could be of great value to many! Do you have a price point in mind? I would say I personally would be willing to spend $$ for plans and code.

For me getting such a kit along with pre-sized stock as an option would be a big plus.

The other issue is that there are lots of non-US members who are "metric" and less likely to have imperial tooling. I believe it's impractical for Steve to rebuild an test every part using metric tools, but it would be a good idea to publish in advance a list of all tools needed for the complete engine in advance. Then builders could decide whether to embark on the engine needing to purchase these tools. Alternatively, one "partner" could take the CB files, modify them to use metric tools and build the engine to verify, and then supply the metric g-code. Probably metric stock sizes would be needed as well.

Hi Steve,.

I haven't logged in a long time but felt the need when I saw this.

I and many others I know would be VERY interested if you planned on offering these kits.

I am both a mach3 and cambam user so I would love to purchase the raw files. Even if it was just the gcode it would be good enough for me.

I purchased the engine plans from you and have some rudy engines and have purchased other plans in the past from other vendors and always wondered if there was something like this availiable.

I plan on running your sample this weekend and will post results.

Thanks for offering up something new that could be of great value to many! Do you have a price point in mind? I would say I personally would be willing to spend $$ for plans and code.

Thanks John. The main focus is to evaluate the information provided with the code and the information contained in the code. I need to know if you have everything you need ahead of time to successfully complete the part.

For me getting such a kit along with pre-sized stock as an option would be a big plus.

The stock option will never happen. It eliminates the ability to ship through email. Also who wants to pay 25 bucks for a 5 dollar piece of aluminum after the machining and shipping is considered.

My 1/16 end mills just showed up. I hope to start milling the head over the weekend. Will let you know how it goes.....

I ran the code,
The write up is well done.
The code was flawless
I hade to make one change, and that was to put an optional stop (m1) where the tool changers were.
If I didn't my machine would just keep going, and that wouldn't have turned out so good.
Steve I would defently be into an engine kit of this sort.
Even though I s am still working on the demon ( on and off it Is going slow)

Chris

I hade to make one change, and that was to put an optional stop (m1) where the tool changers were.
If I didn't my machine would just keep going, and that wouldn't have turned out so good.

Are you suing Mach3? There is a config setting for tool change and the default option is to ignore tool change. The other choice, that you would likely want, is stop and wait for the start button to be pressed.

Are you suing Mach3? There is a config setting for tool change and the default option is to ignore tool change. The other choice, that you would likely want, is stop and wait for the start button to be pressed.

Yep, why in the h#&& do they do that?

I ran side a or step one today and it went off without a hitch, except for forgetting to tell mach not to ignore the tool change. :fan:
My limited spindle speed really hurts as well as no cooling system (time to upgrade).
With my limited spindle speed (2200 rpm) i ran the drilling and 1/8" end mill at 50% and the 1/16" at 60%. which worked out well ;)
I will try and do the next steps soon.

So Steve, any thoughts of what engine to kit up yet :)
It is looking like you got our interest and willingness.

Chris

It would probably be the 1/3rd Scale tecumseh. I was thinking about supplying the code for the case, head, and side cover with a set of drawings for about 50 bucks. I also thought about a code set for some of the parts for the Demon. It will be a while before anything happens as I have a mountain of work to do getting a running prototype.

It would probably be the 1/3rd Scale tecumseh. I was thinking about supplying the code for the case, head, and side cover with a set of drawings for about 50 bucks. I also thought about a code set for some of the parts for the Demon. It will be a while before anything happens as I have a mountain of work to do getting a running prototype.

I'm down for both. When your ready

Chris

Are you ready yet:)

Back