The future of the "engine kit"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I understand, I do have some imperial cutters.

If you are going to post a program for something small to start with I would like to try it, I am keen to learn more about CNC

Can I ask what CAD CAM programs you use

Thank you
Michael

CamBam I will post the code for mach3

Ok Gents! Here is what is going to happen. In the next day or two i will post files to make the Techumseh cylinder head. If you want to give it a whirl, please do. For your efforts you get a cool keychain and conversation piece. What I need to know is.

Did you have enough information to make the part?
Did you have the information well in advance? (no surprises about needed tooling Etc.)
Proper setup information.

That kind of stuff.

I'm going to do it the way I have it in my head and post it. After that, let me have it. I have thick skin so don't worry about hurt feelings just let me know what you think. Comments, questions, positive or negative are all welcome. Keep in mind that this is not intended to teach someone how to operate a CNC machine so that information will not be in the instructions BUT if you are a new operator post up your questions. No matter how dumb you think it is, the bottom line is that we are here to see what others are doing and to learn from it. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Last edited:
I don't know if I'll have time to do this, but I'll try. Either way I think this is great and I'm excited to see feedback. I think it's PERFECTLY legit to make it how it works for you (key work - Works, not a guess) and make that available. People will want other things and options, but that's not the idea of the game. The ideas are great for tooling notes and all that. Seems like it will be a good time!

Although I'm still busy sourcing parts to build my cnc mill (parts hard to get in SA for a reasonable price) I think this is a great idea. And as I see it. The intent is not to create cnc for dummies but rather to create something that can save you a lot of time. Because it would create a platform to start from which would take a item that would take weeks even mounths to create and give you something that would do the same by changing it a little for you're cnc and do that same part in less than half the time. And for people who don't have a lot of spare time. This would help them to finish their build much faster

Bar stock engines, may be the way, to go, as the as less kits, are for sell, today, compared, to 10-15 years ago. I have purchased 43 different kits, over the years, and looking at the list, found 19, of the kits are no longer made.
I have made some of Jerry Howell kits, and found they have very good drawings, and directions. Finding where to get some of the parts needed, to make the kit, has been a problem, like with the gears, for the V twin. As Jerry is gone, we need some body to take his place!
Ken K

I would be very happy to run a test for you on your engine head. I have a home build CNC (Modified Harrison horizontal mill and Mach 3) in Metric so could check conversion from Imperial as well. Keep going,and start a thread in a forum for each part or file for everybody to go to for answers. If anybody has a problem and finds a solution, then post it so that no back up required. I would be very happy to run somebody else's g code on Mach 3 ,especially if you run it through a simulator, but careful looking at the tool path screen in Mach 3 will give a very good idea if there are any problems with a particular machine/ driver/code combination problem.

Buchanan

I would love to try it also. I have a rf45 clone I converted to CNC and use mach3. I think you may have the start on a pretty good idea for a business.

thanks for your efforts.

I would be very happy to run a test for you on your engine head. I have a home build CNC (Modified Harrison horizontal mill and Mach 3) in Metric so could check conversion from Imperial as well. Keep going,and start a thread in a forum for each part or file for everybody to go to for answers. If anybody has a problem and finds a solution, then post it so that no back up required. I would be very happy to run somebody else's g code on Mach 3 ,especially if you run it through a simulator, but careful looking at the tool path screen in Mach 3 will give a very good idea if there are any problems with a particular machine/ driver/code combination problem.

Buchanan

I'm not simulating anything, I'm actually cutting another head. I ran the top today and got the directions typed up. I will run the bottom tomorrow and finalize everything. If all goes smoothly I should have the files posted tomorrow. If I hit a snag it will be the day after but who knows. I'm not going to send out code that I physically didn't run all the way through.

I am sorry Steve
I meant "if i ran it through a simulator" not you. Bad South African English!I look froward to what you produce.

Thanks

Buchanan

Houston, we have a problem!

The site wouldn't allow .TAP files to be attached so I changed the extensions to .DOC. After you have the files on your computer change the extensions back to .tap and all will be good.

The worst part will be step 1. The cutter speed and steps are conservative but I had a 1/16 inch cutter survive for well over an hour without breakage or problems of any kind.

What I need to know is, like i posted above, do you have all the information you need and without surprises. I don't want someone to get in the middle of a run and need something they didn't have warning prior to turning on the machine. I want to focus on is, can the part be made with the information contained on the instruction sheet? I am assuming the person knows how to setup and run a machine but if you need help to understand something, post your questions as well.

View attachment CylinderHeadInstructions.pdf

View attachment Step1HeadTop.doc

View attachment Step2HeadFixture.doc

View attachment Step3HeadBottom2D.doc

View attachment Step4HeadBottom3D.doc

Last edited:
I will be trying this out an the weekend for sure.
Actually when I get home I'm going to load up the code and se if I get any difficulty. :)

The pdf write up is well done Steve, I have worked with experienced cnc programmers that couldn't tell you how and wher to set up like that

Very well done!

Chris

I have to order some 1/16 end mills. I will run it next week when they get here. The documentation looks good though.

I've been looking for an excuse to clear off the CNC and check it all out again. It might just have to be this! Well done, I really like the writeup!

Steve, are you really running the spindle at 1000 RPM?

Latest posts

Back