Team Build 8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I am interested in this build . I have a mill and lathe and rotary table so I can make some of the more conplex parts . Dalem9

Hi

My vote is for Gerry's beam engine, I've wanted to build one ever since
he posted the plans here.

Joe

Hi After having read this whole post ,I am with the idea of a steam engine. A beam engine is also o.k. with me . Also a way to solve the expense of the brough parts is to have everyone buy their own . Just a thought .Dale

I also vote for Gerry's Beam Engine. Probably running on air rather than steam but doesn't matter to me. :):)

I would like to put in at this time a request that I make the side frames. Machining upwards to 8 sets would be difficult to accomplish manually so this would be perfect for CNC. I still would be willing to make other parts depending what was needed ... CNC or not.

The drawings that I have downloaded do not give all the dimensions (non critical ones are missing), so I will be looking for those elsewhere.
Also, these drawing also do not provide a base ... so that will have looked in to.
Other items may be missing so a good drawing review is needed.

I will using Solidworks for my drawing then convert to g-code.

Pat H.

Elmers # 29 has been on my list to build for a while if that helps

Dave

If we are doing Gerry's Beam. I got the Rocking Beam and pivot and Beam end Bushings. I am also willing to make the base's in Corian.

Dave

Tha plans I have don't have numbered parts. The parts are on sheet #4

Dave

Hi All I am going to be brave here and say that I will make the cylinder , cylinder base and the cylinder head.I should add if this is the engine that is chosen , If this is o.k. with all. Dale

Last edited:
How many are committed to the build?

Hi Sorry to say it but I have to back out befor I start. A very good friend asked me to do a project for him today that will require most of my time. So someone else can grab my spot.
Jack B

I'm in that makes 4 so far with path.

Dave

I'm in as well. If we make Gerry's beam, I will do the flywheels,
crankshafts and most likley several other parts. There are approx.
60 separate parts, with multiples of some. Even with ten team members
that's a lot of parts per person. I suggest a few major parts and several smaller parts each. These would be linkages, pins, spacers, etc.
Are we using the metric plans or imperial? The metric plans do not
include a base, not sure about the imperial. We can also discuss fasteners
and if we want to supply them individually.
Based on prior team builds, communication is a good thing. Talking with
others about mating parts, fits and tolerances will pay off during assembly.
This will be a very ambitious project, and as a hobby, good results rather
than speed will make it more enjoyable.

Regards to all,
Maverick

Let's see if we can settle on an engine ... I propose Gerry's Beam Engine using imperial units. Anyone else?

Plans are available in the download section ... link:
OldBoatGuys_Engine_Plan.pdf

If you don't use this link be sure to download the version with the word ".... Plan" (it has 19 pages),
not ".... Plans" (it has 16 pages, missing 3 pages).

don-tucker has a build thread at:
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f31/gerrys-beam-engine-8763/ to follow along.

So far we have 5 members could use a few more ....

Pat H.

Last edited:
I'm in.

With the access I have to a water jet, the frames would be simple for me to do, as would a number of other parts.

Im With you on Gerry's Beam. Im willing to make more part if needed.

Dave

I would like to eventually build Gerry's Beam, but there are so many parts I don't have a clue how to make. Don't yet have taps smaller than 4-40, no laser cutter, etc., etc. Have thought a lot about building this engine with a wood frame, as my skills aren't up to machining the frames as designed.
Will you be using the original plans or redesigning parts to make them simpler?
But I will follow along with the build.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back