Team Build 8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Path, have you done up the spreadsheet of spoke for parts? I'm still on the fence about joining the build.
The only metric tap I have is M6, to match the majority of screws on my lathe and mill, and no die for M6. The smallest imperial tap and die I have is 6-32.
I have some nice turning shafting salvaged from old inkjet printers. I can turn shafts and such and am looking at the cylinder covers as a possibility as I have some 1 1/2"brass bar ends for those.

Chuck

Chuck,

Yes, I've working on it most the day and about to post it (once I figure that out)!

In your last post you did say that you were bowing out. So I don't have you listed
for any parts. The ones you did mention have been taken. So once I do get the list up let's see what the team members pick and go from there.

Pat H.

Team members ...
We now 8 team members (with the addition of chrispare) .... with the possibility of a ninth member chucketn.

So how many engines do we build?

From what I have read it's usually the number of team member plus 1.
The extra one goes to shows then auctioned off with the proceeds contributed to a worthy cause. Or something along those lines. I think that's great and would support that effort. However, I don't have the connections nor the means to pull that together. Someone on the team would need to take on that assignment. Volunteer?

About the grouping and the Excel spreadsheet.

So far the groupings are coming along together pretty good.

I would have like to see the Piston and Cylinder assembly made by the same builder. Looking at page 16 the cylinder assembly .... everything needs to be as concentric as possible so that no binding takes place. With two different builders that may not be so easy. Solution ... would chrispare and dalem9 take a look and see if you could build say 5 assemblies each? If not ... that's okay. Just a thought. Other suggestions are welcomed. :):)

If not ... chris ...then would you take on Item 23,25, 29? delem9 could you pick up a few more items left over (say page 12)?

Ninefinger ...I see that you have signed up for the Eccentric Strap (item 17), it would be great if you would include the Eccentric (item 14)?

Joe_d ... now the time choose ... page 7 item 8-11 and/or page 12 item 18-21 or maybe page 15.

rhitee93 can up pick a few additional items on page 15 or maybe page 7, 12.

After this go around will take another look ... if anyone wants to swap anything ... post it and see what the other team members can/will do.

Now I'm going to try and post the Excel spreadsheet ....

Pat H.

Here's the Excel stuff ... :D

View attachment Team Build 8 details.xlsx

Hey it worked !!

Now for some notes ...
I assigned the Item Number starting with page 3 (item 1), next page going from top
left to right then bottom left to right (most cases) on each page.
Assemblies were not counted (see page 16 for example).

Hardware will come later.

If you have any suggestions on format let me know ... can and will make changes.

Later,

Pat H.

Last edited:
Pat I can make the piston to. and also the ends to .Sorry for the mix . I can make 5 of the entire cyl asemble if you want me to . Dale

Last edited:
I am not set for any milling as of yet so the cylinder would be a bit much to handle right now, but since there must be a o-ring it shouldnt be a problem being done by seperate people?
as for me doing the other parts, it shouldnt be a problem.

Pat,

No problem - I can do the eccentric as well (part #8014). I'll wait and see how the rest shapes up and if needed I can chip in with a few more of the bits not spoken for yet.

Mike

I would like to participate in the team build, if it is still possible. If not, please say so, and I'll understand. I had an attack of "I'm not good enough..." Can't improve without a challenge, right?
I downloaded the spread sheet and see that pages 7, 12, and 15 are not assigned. Is that correct?
Also figured out after scratching my head a while, that pages 7,18, and 19 were missing from the origional downloaded plan. Got that sorted out.
Need a suggestion for a reasonably priced tap and die set for 2-56. My local sources don't cary anything that small.

Chuck

Do a search for MSC supply they have lots of machine tools and material. They ship next day to most areas.

Dave

Let's make it easy, since you have the side frames, just put me down for all of page 15.

Pat I will say that I will make 10 of page 9 and the cyl. heads and glands on page13 , if I can get this done I will make more . I am going to try to get this started today . The cyl. will be of bronze and the heads and glands of brass if this is o.k. . I hope this helps in your planing . Thanks Dale

Okay here is an update ...

chucketn ... welcome aboard. ;) Glad you decided to join us.
Although page 15 has been assigned, page 7 and 12 are up for grabs. In my opinion,
page 7 is the less critical of the two. So let me know ... would like to close it out.

chrispare ... okay we'll give it a try. :) I have moved item 23 to dalem9 as it makes sense to make it with the cylinder head.

ninefinger ... thanks for taking on the Eccentric now those will match perfect. :cool:

rhitee93 ... okay page 15 is yours. ;) Is it okay that item 26 (Valve Link Bellcrank) and item 36 (Steam Chest Cover) are still yours?

dalem9 ... Looks like you are all set ... the material selection is perfect.
wink.gif

joe d ... where are you? :p

I will update the Excel spreadsheet after I hear back on the above.

Pat H.

I'm good with all of page 15, as well as Items 26 and 36. (Bell crank and steam chest cover)

chuchetn

Wait ... joe d has an input still ... your good for page 7 and if he declines page 12 ... then that can be yours also.
But are you sure? ... that would be lot of parts?

rhitee93 ... thanks.

Pat H.

Are we at liberty to modify the parts design to simplify? Or would the proper protocall be to suggest the modification to the team and get a vote on it?
For example, the crankshaft connecting rod assembly on page 7 would be easier to make if the left end of the connecting rod was threaded 10-32 or 8-32 and the connecting rod bearing mad a little longer and tapped to fit on the end of the connecting rod. What is the purpose of the keeper plate, other than another detail? I don't have silver soldering capability.
This is something I would do if I were building on my own.

Chuck

Back