Team Build 8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in. Made bases for a prior team build, but not sure I ever got all the parts from the other folks. Have both conventional and CNC machinery available to me.

Brian

Brian,

Great glad you are on board!

What do you have in mind to build?

Pat H.

I have been ogling Jan's creations for years, really liking his glass cylinder creations as of late. They may be a little complicated for a team build, but I'm up for the challenge myself. Guess that's my vote then

Brian

Hi : I have been following the thread and if it is OK I will add my two cents. Retiring in 1993 I bring 60 years of machining to the table. Looking at Jan's engine that some of us just got plans for in my opinion it wouldn't be a good choice for a team build. I think it is just to complicated. On the other hand I believe it's a great project for a personal build.
I think a team build should have some challenge but be fun so no one would feel pressured. If I have a vote it would be for a steam engine maybe such as a walking beam engine. Thank's for letting me spout off. Jack B
I work with old machinery you can see my shop in "The Shop" section. I posted it on 10-11-2011 and it's on about page 4. The title is "Jack's Shop and Museum".

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f15/jacks-shop-museum-15273/

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to be part of a team build BUT... I'm new to machining and don't have much skill, and I live in Western Australia so postage costs could be an issue. Maybe it'd be better if I wait for the next Aussie/NZ team build.

Jack,
Glad to have your opinion here. I would certainly agree had I not worked with some of these fellows on team build 6. That being said , the skill
levels of ALL team members must taken into account and an appropriate
project chosen. Part of the fun is kicking around ideas for the build and
your idea of a walking beam is a good one. The available plans vary from
beginning to advanced level so there's sure to something suitable.
Hope to have you on the team, your skills would much appreciated.

Regards,
Maverick

Jack,
Appreciate your input. And thanks for showing us your shop.

Yes, it would be a challenge. As noted there are concerns (probable be more), but with Jan's notes and with his and others help we can do it.

Can you give us some insight as why it would be too difficult? Because so far I just don't see it.

I haven't build an IC engine yet, so to me this would be great start.
The MK3 is a one cylinder ... that should be easier than say a 4.
No valves ... that's nice.
Vapor carburetor ... okay that could be an issue. Or better yet a challenge. Easy to make but could be difficult to adjust ... still worth a try! :)
Gears ... haven't made any before but maybe someone on the team has, if not then I would learn.
Spark ... yes that would be really different. But it is well documented.

Think about it some more and join us, we could use your well earned experience. No pressure ....:D

Pat H.

Gail in NM , Thank you for putting that link on my post to my shop. I didn't know how to do it.

Hi Pat : I admire people who like to try new things, so I will go along with anything the group decides on. I don't have a metric dial in my shop so I will be busy changing millimeters to inches. What ever we decide on I will help any way I can Jack

Hi Maverick, Dale & Pat: Today I took a closer look at the Jan Ridder engine we have been interested in building.
Here are some things that will have to be bought that I think we have to think about,
Ball Bearings
Graphite to make the piston. By the way if my math is correct it has to be turned to size within Max .00078 in thousands of an inch. Check Explanary Notes #2
We would have to buy a glass cylinder. Jan put a red warning on the print that it could burst anytime so safety glasses would have to be on when operating the engine.
We need to buy a timing belt.
There is also a glass or plastic cylinder needed for the gas tank.

My vote would be no as a team project. I think we should explore some other projects. Jack

It looks like we need 3 or 4 more team members. Although a few
potential projects have been discussed, a final choice can't be made until
everyone's skill level and capability are considered. So don't be scared,
team builds are fun and you end up with an engine.
Your input will help determine the pace and "flavor" of the build.

Maverick

Hi all I've been out of town for the last three weeks so I have a lot of chaching up to do . Thanks for all the intrest. Dalem9

Life has kept me away from the forums for a few weeks, but I'd be in for a team build. I would vote for something on the simpler side just to give the group a better chance of success. I like a lot of Jan's designs, and am part way through his horizontal stirling. however, I think something like an Elmer's #29 might be better for a group build.

Either way, I'm with ya :)

Hi

I've been holding off on this one to give some of the newer guys a chance to get in, as I've played in 4 of the team builds so far (one of which died out...)

Well, you new guys have had your chance... Count Me In!

I must say that I am in agreement with those who are looking for something a bit
less daunting than Jan's fine engines... they are really good, but I fear that they would be a bit to much for the team build concept.

I would sure like to go for something in a beam engine.

Cheers, Joe

Okay ... it appears that the group wants to move away from the Atkinson engine. :(

I do agree with difficulty factor, as I have said ... we could overcome those issues.
Having said that, there is one issue that does makes the MK3 not a good team build ... cost. Brian Rupnow on a similar engine spent over $150 just for the bearings, about $60 for the belt and sprockets. Other material cost and mailing could be rather expensive. Image making 8 bases and shipping them out. I'm sure some costs could be equally divided between members ... but could be major issue to overcome.

So let's move on ... :)

Elmer #29 looks good ...
Walking Beam .... can we get a specific model?
Other engines that were mentioned ... can we get a specific model?

With a model we can look it over and decided which one to take on...

Now who is still interested in this team build and what do you suggest (please be specific)?

Thanks,

Pat H

Im lurking and may be willing to jump in. What are the engines that are being kicked around.

Dave

Well, the Elmer #24 is a beam engine. It is a bit plain, but perhaps part of the challenge could be to bling it up a bit.

...and I still with ya for whatever gets picked.

Another good choice is Gerry's beam engine. There are a few builds here
and plans in the download section. A few of Elmer's engines have been
mentioned, like #24 and #29. These would be fine as well. I guess we
come up with a short list and choose from them.

Maverick

I'm in for the build. I would like to make some simple parts due to work. I also have tons of corian for bases. I vote for some type of beam engine.

Dave

I would like to be part of the team build. Elmer's 24 or 29 or anything like them would be OK with me. Jack

Some of the possible choices mentioned and their relative difficulty
(parts count and complexity)

Elmer's #24 Beam - Low

Elmer's #29 Mine - Moderate

Gerry's Beam - Highest

Also Brian Rupnow's larger beam engine - Low

There are normally members with a wide range of machining experience
on these teams, and these choices will have suitable parts for each.
Any of these will be fun and be a very nice addition to your collection.

Maverick

Back