Swifty's build of Howell V4

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Straight after the previous post, I thought that I better get rid of those machining marks, So I grabbed one of my "emery sticks", and using double sided tape, I stuck on some new 80 grit paper.

And, with about 5 minutes work, the marks were gone.

Paul.

Reactions: gus
New 4 cylinder Engine to look at. See attached.

IMG_3501.jpg

I fixed the plugs into the sides of the block, with a bit of a clean up of the excess Devcon, it's not too bad.

Next was to make 2 water inlets that screw on to the plugs in the side of the block, I machined each piece on the end of a short length of brass bar, then parted them off in the lathe. A piece of brass made into a tube and silvered soldered in completes these parts, except for some polishing later.

Here they are in position.

Paul.

Paul,
I just read through your build log. Looks good, I'll be following along now.
Art

Hi Art, thanks for your comments. I'm not moving at a great pace on his build, always seems that something interferes with my machining time.

Paul.

Here's today's work, an engine breather. There are actually 4 pieces in the photo, each piece that you can see has another piece loctited into it. There is still one more piece to make for this, that's an .011"thick shim disc that acts as a one way valve. The disc goes between the parts when they are screwed together. I deviated slightly from the drawing, the thread that you can see is called up as 3/8"x 32, I only had a 3/8"x 40 tap, so that had to do. I made a very small thread cutting tool for the external thread, and wound the chuck by hand to cut the thread.

Paul.

Always wanted to make a flat 4, I might have to consider it.

Paul.

Hi Paul.

I knew it. Would very hard not to build this engine.The flat four looks very challenging. The Cylinders are detached from block. So cylinder scrap would not lead to scrapping entire integral engine block. Will follow every flat four engine article in Model Engineer Mag.My mind is still on the V-2.
Did I stir up hornets nest???;)

Last edited:
Hi Paul.

I knew it. Would very hard not to build this engine.The flat four looks very challenging. The Cylinders are detached from block. So cylinder scrap would not lead to scrapping entire integral engine block. Will follow every flat four engine article in Model Engineer Mag.My mind is still on the V-2.
Did I stir up hornets nest???;)

I've probably looked at the flat 4 for the last 2 years, but I thought that I better get a couple of IC engines done before I tackled that one. If I buy the drawings, at least they will be in metric, makes screw sizes much easier, although I must say that I'm getting use to using imperial measurements again.

I'm still keen to design my own engine, now that I understand a bit more about them, I'll have to look into doing it.

Paul.

I completed the final bits on the breather today, the drawing calls up "plastic" for the .011" shim disc that's inside the breather, I recall someone posting that brass is a better material. Having no brass shim, I decided to turn up a disc, that was easy. There is a pip on the disc where it was parted off, but I'm leaving it on as it doesn't interfere with anything, I made a spare as well for when the first one gets lost.

Next I made up a quick bending jig for the brass breather tubes that are attached, the tubes are connected to the air filter by plastic hoses. The tubes are loctited in, you can see where I missed a bit of loctite on clean up.

Next I had to machine a 7/16"dia. hole in the block for the breather, I bored the hole to size, as I don't have a reamer this size. For anyone thinking about making this engine, there is something not quite right with some sizes on the drawing for the breather and hole depth in the block. The bottom of the breather may interfere with the cams, but it may only require a larger chamfer on the bottom.

And here is the breather in place.

Paul.

Paul.
I have had the book a while. I'm sure it uses pistons and valves from a honda motorcycle. Also gives you the option to machine them.
Robbie

To be honest there isnt that much to it. Especially compared to the howell v4.

Latest posts

Back