Swifty's build of Howell V4

Help Support HMEM:

dsage

Reaction score
As shown if you extend the face of the one cylinder bank out (perhaps with a flat plate or something) it's giving you the measurement to the corner of the other bank. This will be important when you fit the intake manifold on the top of the block. If it's not correct the monifold won't fit properly.
I guess if you do everything else correct this measurement will be automatic. But it can / should be used as a double check and probably should be laid out on the end of the block as a guide to be sure you hit it right on doing the other machining.
Not sure about his orientation suggestion. Whatever way you choose to get everything at the correct angles is the right way.

Last edited:

bluejets

Reaction score
Bit of a silly question but is this the same as having the top face at the top and rotate the table 45* for one bank and then back 90* for the second?
Ian
There may have been some concern with backlash.

johnstij

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me the size of the O rings at the bottom of the cylinders.
In fact is there a list of all the O ring sizes used any where.
Thank you
Ian

lantain1982

Reaction score
Hi Ian, The "O" rings for the bottom of the cylinder bores are 1/16th section by 1" ID.
I have the complete "O" chart as supplied in the Howell kit if you require
any more info.
Bill.

johnstij

Reaction score
Hi Bill.
Thanks for your reply.
Is it possible for you to send me the list ? Also is there a list of bearings used?
I'm not sure how you sent a personal message to a member on this forum.
Ian

johnstij

Reaction score
My cams (Medium).JPG
My cams 2 (Medium).JPG
Hello.I'm making progress in building the Jerry Howell V4 from the plans I purchased.I'm at the cam shaft stage and have managed to confuse my self ( nothing unusual about that !) I have made the cam pairs as the plans> ie "handed" for cylinders 1,2 and 3,4 and assembled them on the shafts as per Jerry's method and they look the same as his.. My question is are both Cam shafts (cylinders 1 & 3 and cylinders 2 & 4) identical because I've seen photos on the internet which would suggest they are "handed" ? Attached is a photo of my Cam shafts. I would appreciate your comments/advise on this.
>
> Regards Ian

Last edited:

Lister4

Reaction score
View attachment 112297 View attachment 112298 Hello.I'm making progress in building the Jerry Howell V4 from the plans I purchased.I'm at the cam shaft stage and have managed to confuse my self ( nothing unusual about that !) I have made the cam pairs as the plans> ie "handed" for cylinders 1,2 and 3,4 and assembled them on the shafts as per Jerry's method and they look the same as his.. My question is are both Cam shafts (cylinders 1 & 3 and cylinders 2 & 4) identical because I've seen photos on the internet which would suggest they are "handed" ? Attached is a photo of my Cam shafts. I would appreciate your comments/advise on this.
>
> Regards Ian
The 3 and 4 cams are supposed to be reversed on the shafts from what the 1 and 2 are.
Regards,
Bob

johnstij

Reaction score
Hi Bob
Thanks for your reply, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by reversed ?
Ian

Lister4

Reaction score
The cam pairs are mounted so the exhaust lobes are facing the ends of the shaft.
Hope this helps!
Regards,
Bob

johnstij

Reaction score
Thanks for that Bob, I understand that the exhaust lobes face the ends of the shaft. It's the orientation of the two cam pairs on each shafts I'm not sure about. As you can see on my photos both cam shafts are the same, is this correct?
Ian

Lister4

Reaction score
Hi Ian,
Yes both shafts are the same. Do you have the cam gear timing info? If not, it is available on the Howell V4 web site.
Regards,
Bob

johnstij

Reaction score
Hi Bob.
Thanks for that conformation I can sleep easy tonight :)

Regards Ian

Group Builder