Suggestions on tooling

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBore

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disclaimers:

I'm a newbie. OK, that about covers it.

I'm still researching ideas for a new/first lathe. Two of the top contenders are the Grizzly G9972Z and the Weiss WM280V-F (love the power cross feed and low end of 50 RPM). Any comments or experiences would be appreciated and taken to heart.

I've decided to go ahead and look for some tooling. I just received the Phase II catalog (damn purdy pictures of toys) Some of the items I've been checking out so far would be clamping kit, live center, boring bar set, 3 & 4 jaw chuck, a collet chuck and collets, a key-less drill chuck, some parallels, 1-2-3 blocks, digital calipers, indicators with mag base and flex arm, and a protractor. Too late for Santa, I think, since I know my wife doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about. Actually, I don't know what I'm talking about. I know that some of the items listed could come with the lathe that I end up buying but I've listed them to be sure I don't forget in case they are not included with "the deal of the century" that I go with.

So the mission, should you accept it, is to offer opinions and suggestions on the two lathes, stuff I need to add/subtract to my list, and what are the opinions on Phase II's stuff. I've Googled the snot out of them and mainly, by far, have read a lot of positives.

If you think I ask annoying questions now, just wait. I'm just getting warmed up. When I get my lathe...........

Thanks in advance. It is appreciated. Just think back to when you were a newb....I gots the fever!

Ed

Ed, Where did you find the Weiss WM280V-F on the USA. ??? Paulg

I was given this contact information from the Canadian guys:

Company: Rex Machine Industries
Address: 6339 Posada Ct. Palmdale, CA 93552
Contact person: Rick LaLonde
Tel: (001)661-526-6624
Email: [email protected]

I was also given the manuals for a couple of their machines via a PDF attachment. I e-mailed California last night and haven't heard back yet.

I thought of another item that I need to add to my list. Taps & dies. I have heard that American or non Asian are better. Is that true. How does one tell if one is better than another? By reputation or is there something to look for or ask? What would be a reasonable price to pay?

Ed

are you planning on getting a mill too? the collet chuck would be nice but not the most important thing to get starting out, i prefer dial calipers myself, dont forget to oder an adapter for your drill chuck if it doesnt already have the right taper, and i assume you intentionaly left out toolholders and tool blanks, center drills, you will probably want a good set of drill bits and yes the american drills and taps are the way to go even for the home shop the chinese ones are nothing but a frustration id look to spend about $100US on a 1/16-1/2 by 64ths drill bits and say $20??? for a 3 tap set in the 1/4" range.

Most of the Phase II stuff I've used is pretty good for home use. If you aren't getting a mill right away, skip the clamping set and parallels and all for now.

The lathe should come with 3 & 4-jaw chucks, faceplate, centers of some sort, toolpost, and a tailstock chuck. After that you need toolbits and some material to practice on.

Plus some way to measure, so calipers. Digital has some downsides but a lot more upside to me.

Then taps, dies and drills (including center drills) if you want to make parts that fit together or have holes in them. I've had good luck with non-bottom-of-the-barrel imports, but the USA stuff is nicer if you can afford it. A few boring bars-- I've had a cheap import set last far longer than I ever expected them to.

Fishtail threading gauge if you plan to do any of that soon.

Get the rest as needed/desired. Get on Enco & MSC's lists-- most everything you could want in those catalogs.

Welcome BB, A fne looking 'reindeer' in the picture but who is that ugly mug with the funny cap? :big: :big: AFA machines and tooling goes the old adage is to "Buy the highest quality you can afford" in that going cheap will only lead to frustration and or failure in the long run. Lathes, I would recommend one that has "V" ways and not flats but others will differ in that opinion I'm certain. A good micrometer and dial caliper will go a long way towards getting things 'right' but the biggest thing is to read as much as you possibly can to get a better understanding of what it is you are trying to accomplish. Throwing money at this hobby is not the total answer, but knowing what one can and can't get away with in terms of machining will go a long way. As with any other sport/hobby/activity it can get very expensive in a hurry but it doesn't have to be that way if you take small steps. There are several outlets in which to purchase tooling, Enco is but one and they offer decent tooling at reasonable prices. Don't buy anything until you are sure of how to use it and IF you will be using it. I've spoken to many newbies in this hobby after they had purchased numerous items and they were crying the blues because they did not have any money to spend on their projects and really had no idea of how to use what they did run out and buy. A vicious circle to be sure but it doesn't have to be that way if one only takes the time up front to do the research on how/what a tool is used for and if it will be needed on a regular basis. Drill bits obviously are a must as is a good vise. The list can go on forever if you let it. Start out with the bare bones and work your way up from that point. Don't be afraid to ask for opinions or advice here as you will get good responses. Spend wisely and you won't be disappointed. Once again, welcome.

BC1
Jim

You might want a magnifier headset so you can see those teensy tiny, itty bitty cuts you'll be making. HF sells one that has four different lenses for under $10.

I have the Warco version of the 280VF and am very happy with it. Not quite the quality finish of my previous Emco that was Austrian made but it will still produce very good results.

The lowest mine will go down to is an indicated 46rpm, though at the slower speeds the torque can drop off when working larger diameter like 9" cast iron flywheels so you have to keep under a 20thou depth of cut for londitudanal turning and 30thou for cross cuts which have a finer feed rate.

Pete on here has a Weiss machine with the milling head, got it through a Canadian importer.

It will probably come with 3&4 jaw chucks, at least mine did. I would add the following
10" faceplate
Fixed steady
traveling steady
Live tailstock ctr
Keyless chuck & arbor
Quick change toolpost
Cutting tools
Dti & stand
Micrometer & callipers
Centre drills, countersink and set of twist drills
Tailstock die holder

Jason

Don't let the fever get the best of you,I would wait till I got the machine and see what it comes with so you don't end up with stuff you don"t need.I agree with buy the best you can afford,we have all fallen for cheap and watch it break the first time you use it and then go buy the one you should have bought in the first place.Do not go cheap on taps and dies,nothing more frustrating than a broken tap.

Latest posts

Back