Colchester Chipmaster

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L98fiero

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea what a Colchester Chipmaster is worth? I'm asking for someone else and after a quick look at it, the ways look very good, it has no chucks, the variator is not just not functional but totally missing and was replaces with a 575V 3 phase motor with a VFD. I didn't check the serial number so don't know what year or version it is. not being familiar with the lathes, I don't know if there is a difference between versions but this one looks like it has a D1-3 spindle nose. The machine is located north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

I have a Chippie with the original drive. It's a bit worn but having a DRO means it can still turn out accurate work. It is inherently noisy due to the toothed belts in the drivetrain. I run mine from a VFD to convert single to three phase. I am on 60-Hz power but I mostly leave the VFD frequency at 50 Hz so the speeds correspond to the nameplate. Sometimes I lower the frequency when winding springs.

I have a Monarch 10EE and it takes the same D1-3 spindle tooling as the Chippie. That is a great feature for me. I usually keep a 3-jaw chuck on the Chippie and use collets on the 10EE. I use the Chippie for rougher work, work that won't fit the biggest collet (1-3/8"), and work that needs the Chippie's clutch, like winding springs and running threads to a shoulder.

A 575-V motor is a pain in the US. I do run an Aciera F5 mill with 575-V motors. For that I built an open delta 240-575V 3-phase transformer system. It was nothing that money and time couldn't fix.🙄

As for value, it all depends on condition. It's not for sale, but I'd be happy to get $3500 for my Chippie including the VFD, DRO, an Aloris toolpost clone with one tool block, a faceplate, and perhaps an old chuck. I would not be surprised if the best I could do on a quick sale was $2500.

I have a Chippie with the original drive. It's a bit worn but having a DRO means it can still turn out accurate work. It is inherently noisy due to the toothed belts in the drivetrain. I run mine from a VFD to convert single to three phase. I am on 60-Hz power but I mostly leave the VFD frequency at 50 Hz so the speeds correspond to the nameplate. Sometimes I lower the frequency when winding springs.

I have a Monarch 10EE and it takes the same D1-3 spindle tooling as the Chippie. That is a great feature for me. I usually keep a 3-jaw chuck on the Chippie and use collets on the 10EE. I use the Chippie for rougher work, work that won't fit the biggest collet (1-3/8"), and work that needs the Chippie's clutch, like winding springs and running threads to a shoulder.

A 575-V motor is a pain in the US. I do run an Aciera F5 mill with 575-V motors. For that I built an open delta 240-575V 3-phase transformer system. It was nothing that money and time couldn't fix.🙄

As for value, it all depends on condition. It's not for sale, but I'd be happy to get $3500 for my Chippie including the VFD, DRO, an Aloris toolpost clone with one tool block, a faceplate, and perhaps an old chuck. I would not be surprised if the best I could do on a quick sale was $2500.
What general area are you in?

Back