Stirling Beam Engine Finished

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemoc

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an engine of my own design. It's my first beam engine. Got it running last week and mounted it on the base today. Runs at about 800 rpm. Hopefully I will have a video of it up soon.

Craig

DSC_0481.jpg

That's very slick Craig. Was there any CNC involved?

Stirling's have a lot of character.

Best,

BW

Lovely looking engine Craig.

Do you have any build pics? th_wwp

Regards
Gordy

Very nice looking engine work.
Good mechanical design, to get everything running smoothly.

What is very impressive is the artistical way of making the structure like a sculpture, not just boxey, but you took the time to do roundovers, and fillets, and the variety of shapes in the main components. That's what realy caught my attention, when I seen the picture, first.

Yes, very nice looking and very clean / eye pleasing design. Good photo also. :bow:

Craig,

Nice design and nice runner. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Beautiful engine Craig

The flywheel has a very nautical look to it, sort of thing you can imagine standing at steering a fancy yacht :)

Personally not too sure about the slot headed screws but suppose they do go with the contemporary design - anyway I can hardly criticise as I've never made anything and can only hope to produce something half as good one day.

Congrats again

Cheers

Jim

Hi eveyone, Thanks for the compliments. There was no CNC work. Not even any plans on this project. I started building parts and did some calculations on scrap paper as I went along. I did make a bunch of mistakes but am pleased with the results. I did take some pics as I was building, here are a few.

Craig

DSC_0437.jpg

DSC_0443.jpg

DSC_0449.jpg

DSC_0450.jpg

DSC_0453.jpg

DSC_0457.jpg

DSC_0458.jpg

Very Cool Engine! :bow: Now that is an elegant piece. :bow: Interesting how you made the displacer, are the ends pressed fit to the sleeve? What material for the power piston? Thanks for the photos and vid.

DB

Hey DB, Yes the ends of the displacer are pressed in, I added a little JB weld to insure an air tight seal. The power piston is graphite. Nice and easy to work with. The first time for me. I don't have a lot of run time on this engine yet, but it doesn't seem to be wearing much.

Craig

Always nice to see standard configuration Stirlings with their builders personality imparted. The four column beam support and diagnal flywheel standard very trick!

Beautiful work Craig. Great lines to it as well...traditional with a modern flair. Well done. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Bill

Craig, lovely design and workmanship :bow:

Congratulations Craig! That's a very impressive engine and excellent Photos!

Latest posts

Back