Started the EZ_ENGINE build.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok this is what I did for the piston side to measure for the rod.

1. I dropped the piston to the bottom of the hole and measure with my digital caliper from the top of the hole to the bottom of the piston. I came up with .407

2. I then subtracted the .063 from the .407 and got .344

3. I then measured from the bottom of the cylinder to the center of the screw hole in the crank (crank was facing towards the cylinder). And got 1.550

4. Now I added .125 (which is the bottom of the piston to the center of the piston screw hole) to 1.550 and got 1.675

5. so if I did this right that means center to center on the rod screw holes should be (for my setup) 1.675

6. now all I do is add .250 to 1.675 to get my total length of my rod. 1.925

Does this sound right? Am I on the right track? Having fun learning here anyway... ;D

Hmmm. Without going through all the math step by step it sounds about right to me. To verify your math just cut out some stiff card stock to the size and length you came up with and see if it looks about right before cutting the metal. Measure twice, cut once.

Aren't you glad we are not building rocket engines?? :big:

I know it would have been easier to just give the size of the connecting pieces in the plans. But this is the one place you can account for accumulated errors in the rest of the build. It won't matter if several holes are slightly off if you make this part to fit rather than make it to spec.

well i guess I should have done the card stock test first! :mad: I measured with the crank screw hole close to the cylinder. It should have been the other way! :'( Oh well I need to make bushings and can still use the rod to get the bushing right. ::)

Black85vette,

I got it together and running. Got it to run on lung power too! ;D
Im going to make some parts on my cnc mill when I get it all setup again. But for now this is as far as im going to go with it. I need to regroup and clean my shop, lathe etc..

Here is a movie. And thanks for all your help black85vette :bow:

ALRIGHT!!! Now thats a runner. Good job. th_wav

Ron

woohoo1

Great job. It runs really smooth. You must have gotten all the clearances right and kept the fiction down for it to run like that. The little touches on the flywheel and crank look good and add a lot to the engine. Thanks for sharing the build with us. Someone else will have the same questions as you did and now they are answered. Thm:

OK. I am nuts? Looks like your engine is reversed in the video. Piston and valve are on the opposite sides. ??? ???

black85vette said:
OK. I am nuts? Looks like your engine is reversed in the video. Piston and valve are on the opposite sides. ??? ???

Now that you mentioned that, It must be my video. Looks like everything is mirrored. Weird. Probably something I did wrong on my end recording the video. I had to have my 10 year old show me how to record a video on the IMAC. I had never done that before. I remember when I was a kid my dad always had me set his digital watch for him. He could never figure it out! I must be getting the same way!!! AHHHHH... :big:

Here is picture I just took showing it is not reversed. Sitting on my dirty cnc taig mill. ;D

DSC_0001-5.jpg

DSC_0002-3.jpg

Thanks again everybody for all your help. I can't wait to do another one now.. Yes I am hooked

Balck85vette,

Actually Now that I watched the video again. It looks right. I think it is the was you are looking at it. ;)

Hooray! Man, you need a little air compressor, though. Yer gonna blow a gasket when you build a bigger engine.

Nice job. Nice runner!

Dean

Great Build. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

I remember seeing the video while I was vacation. Didn't have a chance to reply then.

Nice flywheel.
Great job on the engine.
And running on lung power says a lot about the quality of work that went into it.

Congratulations.

But...where was the smile of satisfaction?

zeeprogrammer said:
I remember seeing the video while I was vacation. Didn't have a chance to reply then.

Nice flywheel.
Great job on the engine.
And running on lung power says a lot about the quality of work that went into it.

Congratulations.

But...where was the smile of satisfaction?

I am happy. BUT I think I can make it better and I want to make it better. Im just in the process of reorganizing my little shop (11x22) along with setting up my cnc milling machine. Also trying to learn a new software to run it (Mach3). Along with juggling my family and work life. AHHHHH. Does not seem like enough time in the day.. :( But I am slowly gaining and hopefully by January I will be able to sit down in the shop and finally get to making some more engines. I can hardly wait... ;D

Latest posts

Back