Started the EZ_ENGINE build.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well started the valve today. Decided to make it out of brass. This is as far as Ive got so far (had to get ready for work).

DSC_0001-3.jpg

black85vette said:
You let work get in the way of making engines ??? ??? ???
Ha! Got to pay bills so I can keep playing..LOL

OK I finished the valve finally. Just call me slow but steady. Hahaha.

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

I should have done the cylinder piston this same way so i had something to hang onto on the milling machine, so I could mill the flat. Not sure how im going to mill the cylinder piston without making some sort of jig to hold it in the mill. Any ideas Black85vette?

Nice work on the valve. In fact everything is looking good.

As for the piston, I don't have a problem with putting it in a vise if you wrap it in some soda can cut into a strip. Just don't go too tight. A V block or groove in the chuck jaw would be nice to keep it straight. Just make light cuts slowly if you can't get a solid hold on it.

Thanks Black85vette,

Yup that worked fine. I wrapped it in a piece of brass shim stock and put it in the vise. Took it slow and everything went just fine. Now I need to find material for the flywheel. I have aluminum but was thinking brass would be much heavier. Not sure yet on what im going to do there.

Piston Done.

DSC_0001-5.jpg

Another nice looking part. The flywheel can look nice in several materials. Weight is not a big issue because you can always go a little thicker with lighter materials. I did my EZ flywheel very plain but have done several others with hubs, spokes, or holes just for looks. You might want to try something you have not yet done to get some new skills / experience. I like to pick engines that will teach me something in the process and I have plenty to learn.

I expect we will be seeing a runner soon.

black85vette said:
Another nice looking part. The flywheel can look nice in several materials. Weight is not a big issue because you can always go a little thicker with lighter materials. I did my EZ flywheel very plain but have done several others with hubs, spokes, or holes just for looks. You might want to try something you have not yet done to get some new skills / experience. I like to pick engines that will teach me something in the process and I have plenty to learn.

I expect we will be seeing a runner soon.

Ya this is very rewarding and also keeps me busy doing something. Doing something is better then wishing you did something! I have a lot to learn about metal working. I mostly do wood working (stuff for the house,etc..). I bought a 7x12 mini lathe a few years ago and did a bunch of improvements to it one winter. Also have a Taig cnc mill I put together a few years ago. Problem with that is, I forgot how to use it. LOL Also it was running turbocnc and that is DOS. so now im thinking about going to Mach3 and see if I can set the mill back up with that. And learn how to run it again. MY dad has a mini mill. So I use that when I need to. I really need to Reorganize my very small 12x22 shop. That may happen after I complete this engine.

There are a number of people here with CNC experience. You can always jump over to the Q&A section if you have something you need to ask. I have no CNC experience at all. Barely have any mill experience.

My shop space is small also. Just a corner of the garage. Not a lot of room but the nice thing is that almost anything I need is just about a step or two away. The drawback is that not all tools can be out all the time. Some things come out, get used then go back under the cabinet. It is partly why I have been enjoying building small engines. They take up so little room. My Vette on the other hand takes up more space than my entire shop! ;D

Black85vette,

Not to get off track here but I saw in another thread you made Elmers #33 engine. :bow: Very nice!! Did you get that from free plan or was it in a book? Id love to build that someday looks fairly easy or not to overly complicated.

FOUND IT!! Just found it on on elmer's free plans page. Going to print off the plans and read through it.. And more photos of yours?

Started the flywheel. All I had was a piece if 4x4 aluminum. I cut that as close to 3 inch as I could with a hacksaw. Wow that was not fun. Good work out for the arms.LOL.

DSC_0002-5.jpg

Got it turned down to size.

DSC_0003-2.jpg

Excellent woodknack.
I wasn't too sure about the method (not ever having done it)...so it's great to see your post.

Flywheel is looking good. Good way to make one. Hacksaw had to be tiring.

Yes I did the #33 Horizontal. It was beyond my ability as I started. The body of the engine was tough for me to make. I only had my 7x10 lathe and a milling attachment for it. The holes for the steam chest made me crazy. They are tiny and SO close together. I did the layout and drilling manually on a drill press and no XY table. Also made some minor changes. He had packing nuts on the valve and the head. I skipped both and just kept my fit snug. Lining up the cylinder, piston, head and crosshead so that there was no binding over the entire cycle was a challenge to me because my accuracy just was not that good. Finally the scale was pretty small and the screws smaller than I like. While it was a big challenge, it was also my best effort so far. It is a very nice design and makes a good looking engine.

Well the flywheel is giving me a challenge! All I had big enough for it was aluminum. So I decided to bore out the center of the 3" aluminum blank and insert a piece off 1-1/2 brass. So while boring out the hole I noticed every time I engaged the auto feed on the carriage, it cuts smooth and when it bores through I disengage it and then the bit digs in the aluminum. Wow. :eek: I see that the gib under the front of the carriage is loose. But to tighten it looks hard to get at. Its a 7x12 mini lathe. Does anyone know if I have to take the front part of the carriage off to tighten the gib?

Yes you do, and it is a fiddly job of getting just the right compromise of tightness between the large cap screw and the small adjusting screws. The gib should be parallel
With the bottom of the ways and snug. It is real easy to get the gibs slanted slightly. DAHIKT. If you do then the adjustment won't last long.
You should also do the gib on the opposite side at the same time to keep everything on an even keel.

Here ia good site that explains it better than I can. Scroll down to "Adjusting the Saddle"
http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/Tuning/tuning.htm#adjust_gibs

Ron

Are you sure that is the issue? Tracking down chatter and other problems can sometimes be tricky. Is there a way you can clamp or lock the carriage and use the compound? If the problem is still there it is not the carriage. Could be related to the feed. Try the cut by hand. Try eliminating as many variables as possible before taking on a big adjustment.

black85vette said:
Are you sure that is the issue? Tracking down chatter and other problems can sometimes be tricky. Is there a way you can clamp or lock the carriage and use the compound? If the problem is still there it is not the carriage. Could be related to the feed. Try the cut by hand. Try eliminating as many variables as possible before taking on a big adjustment.

That is the problem im sure. I can actually lift the carriage up and down and the allen cap screws are loose(But I cant get to them).When I engage the carriage with the auto feed the carriage actually lifts up a hair while running do to it pushing against the lead screw. When I disengage it, it drops down and digs into what I just cut. I guess I know what I will be doing today.

Ok got the lathe all straightened out. Here are a couple pictures of the flywheel. Has brass in the middle.

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

OK, now that is really cool and it will look great on the engine. :bow: Now I will have to steal er.... borrow that idea for one of my builds. It is always nice to add your own touch and personalize a project. How did you fix the brass into the flywheel?

Latest posts

Back