Show Us Your Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yard sale 109, real cheap
109lathe2.jpg

South Bend, 25-A built in 1925, 9" Swing, just got it home, its now on the shop floor trying to get adjusted to the home with several lathes, I think they like him, Lathe Nut
southbendlathe1.jpg

lathe nut
Just hope the other lathes give him the respect due
to the old feller.
BR

I think that is a 9" Junior you have there? I have one just like it;o) Mine is 48" between centers.

Wes

I just got a new puppy. Does your new lathe howl all night for attention, or does it go to bed when it's time?

Hi to Everyone ,
I am new here and thought i would start by showing you all my Little Lathe .
Various040.jpg

It is a WARD 3DS Capstan Lathe which i recently bought from a Valve manufacturer that shut down it also came with these chucks
Various049.jpg

Various050.jpg

and all these tools
Various046.jpg

Various047.jpg

I am still cleaning all the brass swarf out of her so i will post up new photos once she is clean ;D

cheers James

BobWarfield , he will get the respect, hope to get my shop added on to with the AC before spring and a restore will happen to him.
Powder keg, I am in need of a few parts for it, like the thread dial few others but I will be looking, let's see a pic of yours, Lathe Nut

Welcome to HMEM James!

That lathe looks bullet proof.
Keep us posted on the progress.

Rick

James,

Welcome to our forum
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

I bought this one today, $ 300.00 It was under power, just well oiled, its a Sebastien, quick change box, 20 inch swing, 13 foot bed, not able to get it home yard to wet, got it in a friends shop close where I bought the late, James, I like that little chunky late, wonder what the out come would be if we mate them ????????, my wife was proud of me, "Another Late", her Christmas present, right, Merry Christmas all, Late Nut
sebastinelathe1.jpg

Do we dare ask what you intend to turn with a 13' bed? Heck, you could turn driveshafts with that puppy!

Best regards,

Kludge

Round stuff :big:

Sorry, Kludge!

Merry Christmas all!

Kevin

Thanks for the Welcome Rick,Bob and Lathe nut . This looks like a great place to learn things .

Lathe nut it would be interesting to cross breed the Ward and Sebastian .

my Ward lathe is run by a Two speed 415V three phase motor its has twelve gears it also has power feed and will cut metric and imperial threads Swing over bed is 14.5 inches and between centres is 27.5 inches . i would like to get a original power bar feed for it but i have yet to find one . I cant get Three phase 415 v where i am so i will be changing the motor for a single speed 240/415v motor so i can run it using a VSD/VFD . I will also try fitting a DRO to it at some stage .

cheers James

I don't even know what I am going to turn, I always wanted a large lathe, never thought I would get one of this size, I did find out tonight that the fellow that ran if for 40 years said that it came from Houma Louisiana, he said that it made parts he thought for the Higgins boats, it does have the brass tag "Meets War Standard Production" on, I ran it through all the gear, will go down to 15 RPM'S and I think the high is 660, just got to get the thread dial, going to get some on cutting that dude, soon as it get dry going to haul it, will post the pic's of that, take care all, got to go Santa at the door, Lathe Nut

joeby said:
Round stuff :big:

Sorry, Kludge!

Ya think? :D

Kevin, if I couldn't take what I dish out, I'm on the wrong forum. :D

Lathe Nut: If it was used at Higgins then they may well have been turning prop shafts with it. Higgins made PT boats during the war (Some sources claim the made the best ones.) so you may well have a piece of history on your hands.

BEst regards,

Kludge

I was always reminded that you can make small stuff on a big lathe; but you can't make big stuff on a small lathe. True to a point I'd say. It can be rather clumsy to make little parts on a machine that size; but you could make 4-40 screws out of 6" stock all day if you'd like.

Learnin' experience ahead though. That chuck will seem to be flyin' at 660 RPM!

Kevin

Plushy / James.

Those chucks are Taylor chucks with inclined scrolls so they reach further out as they open.
good chucks, very expensive and usually very accurate.
Used to have one on a real old beat up Harrison L6 but the chuck was repeatable to a thou, pity the machine wasn't.

John_S.

John,

If memory serves me right Dean Smith and Grace used that type of chuck and IMHO they were great lathes.

Best Regards
Bob

Kevin nice lathes, real nice, Kludge, that is right the Higgins were built in the New Orleans area, down here we still use shallow water boats, it was said that the fellow went to the Army, Navy and said that they did not know how to make a light shallow water boat, guess he was right, there was at that shop a Niles lathe, 48" chuck with a 50 foot bed, taper attachment the length of the bed, said it was used to make canon barrels for battle ships.
any who I was in the shop to day, took a picture of the two 7X10 HF lathes. one I have had bought in 1997 and the other a few months ago at a yard sale got it 25 dollars, notice the red cover and had to change out the printed board, I leave the four jaw chuck on it, the fellow I bought it from had got if from someone else with a lot of tooling he said parts were not available, forgot to tell him there were, my gain, Lathe Nut
PhotoofBoth1.jpg

Latest posts

Back