Rudys Radial 5

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreeves

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I am making 2 more radial 5 engines as gifts for 2 very good friends. I will post pictures as the build goes on. I have started on the cylinders first got some work done but got a lot more to go about 2.5 hours in the 12 cylinders so far. I will post pictures later today. I got to get back to clearing the 16 inches of snow that fell yesterday :)

Got some photos of the work done so far

Clyinders cut to length.
CylBlanks.jpg

Drilling first hole
DrillingBlanks2.jpg

Second Hole with larger drill prior to reaming
DrillingBlanks.jpg

Reaming .500
Reaming500.jpg

Setup to cut the register for the Crankcase. I used two indicators to make cutting 12 cylinders much easier.
P1010073.jpg

P1010072.jpg

12 cylinders ready for more work
DSC00799.jpg

More to come

dreeves said:
More to come

Goodie! Goodie!

Guess you got the snow cleared. Me too. Happily the sun came out to work the driveway some.

2 more? Is there a build thread of ones you've done? Or a pic?

More done on the cylinders. I made a manderal to hold the part via the .500 dia hole to turn the outside to .938. I will also use it to turn the fins latter on. Got all 12 done in about 1 hour.

DSC00800.jpg

DSC00801.jpg

DSC00803-1.jpg

All Done for know
DSC00806-1.jpg

I will Buy .0005 over
DSC00804-1.jpg

I might have felt okay if you'd said 1 in an hour....but 12?
That and shoveling 16" today? You must have cheated. You have a snowblower don't you?

Yes I did cheat with a snow blower.

I got some more done on the cylinders today
First pictires are drilling the 6 exhaust holes

DSC00880.jpg

DSC00881.jpg

DSC00882.jpg

DSC00883.jpg

DSC00884.jpg

Next switched to another fixture to hold the cylinder

DSC00888.jpg

Indicating the Cylinder to center ( I only showed 3 views it was to hard to get the rear shot)

DSC00885.jpg

DSC00886.jpg

DSC00887.jpg

Drilling the cylinder head holes

DSC00889.jpg

DSC00890.jpg

DSC00891.jpg

Next is tapping the 48 holes in the 12 cylinders. Im making 2 extra just incase

Looking good!
Tapping hole and surface grinding are the 2 shop things I least favor.

Building for friends? You are a friend indeed!

Chuck

Got some work done on the Radial 5 build. I got the 12 cylinders tapped thats 48 holes.

Here is the holder I made to hold the cylinder for drilling and tapping the head holes
DSC00888-1.jpg

DSC01156.jpg

DSC00890-1.jpg

Here Im setup with a spring center and tap wrench to tap the 48 holes 2-56.
DSC01154.jpg

I will be starting on the crankcase soon and will post some pictures of that setup as well.

Well It has started to snow again so got started on the crankcase's for the two engines.

Here are is what I started with.
DSC01161.jpg

Cut each side 72 degrees apart in 3 steps of .050 and the last .038 deep.
DSC01165.jpg

Next I centered the crankcase on the bore and center drilled all 5 cylinder holes and then drilled the holes to .625 dia. I cheated on the .625 I used a 4 flute endmill to cut it.
DSC01166.jpg

All 5 holes to .625
DSC01171.jpg

DSC01168.jpg

Next Step was to drill and tap the holes for the cylinders thats another 40 holes. I hate to tap. :wall:
DSC01169.jpg

All holes drilled and tapped. ;D
DSC01172.jpg

Here are the 2 crankcases almost complete got 10 more holes to drill and tap in both.
DSC01174.jpg

DSC01176.jpg

More to come.

Thanks Dean.

Very nice stuff.
I managed to turn a half-inch length of aluminum yesterday ;D

I can't even manage the energy to build one of these for myself... and you're building 2 for friends. I envy your energy and your sense of philanthropy!

Chuck

PS... your machining skills aren't bad, either! :bow:

dreeves, keep the pics and descriptions coming. I am building my first radial five and a look at your fixtures can sure help.

You must get along pretty good with 2-56 taps. I have tapped 65 holes already on my first engine and I have a lot of parts to go yet.

I look at a photo of your first engine (a beauty) and it give me drive to keep going.

Thanks putputman. I have built one Radial 5 and one Radial 10. I had all the fixtures to build the engine so building 2 at the same time saves time on the setups. Thanks Chuck for the kind words. The two engines are going to one very long time friend and one who has done many good thing most recient for me. They will be suprised they dont know there are being built.

You're making excellent progress on your engines. I have never tried more than one at a time but with all the fixtures I'm sure it knocks the time down significantly.
gbritnell

Latest posts

Back