Rivett lathe, what to do with it?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Bill. That compound slide had me scratching my head at first. It was almost like the slide was being moved by a magnet underneath!
The photo should explain how it works.

While I'm on, does anyone know what is meant to fit on the end of the cross slide?
The original Rivett assembly drawing shows a gib strip affair, but shows it with a bolt passing through the strip and into the actual lathe bed, so it looks like a drawing error. I can't find any photos or anything of this particular feature.

Cheers.

Looks like a beautiful old machine and a beautiful job of tidying it up. Old lathes are fun. I inherited my Dad's 1936 Drummond in similar condition, about a thou of wear on the bed. They must have use some good hard cast iron in those days. It cuts dead to size and gives a beautiful finish, unlike my brother's new Chinese lathe which he curses every time he tries to use it.

Nice restoration job....well done.Thm:

I'm with Tin on this. See how well it machines a piece of stock...make some measurements...then decide on whether to tackle the grinding/scraping route.

Depends on what your ultimate goal is....use it to make stuff, or restore it to original specs.

Cheers,
Phil

Well now I'm back on the V8 I've lost interest in the Rivett. Also I have some stuff I'd like to buy, and the only thing I've got which is worth anything is this lathe. So I reckon I'm going to sell it.
This post isn't the for sale bit, but I would like to know what it's worth, in the UK.
I would hate to let it go for, say, £500, and then a week later have someone say they would have paid double that.
Or it may not even be worth £500.

I will put it up on here first, and then Ebay it later if no-one wants it.
Cheers.

There are a few different models on eBay asking good prices, maybe you should check them out to get an idea of the value of yours.

Paul.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rivett-608-Lathe-w-lots-of-Accessories-/181157088753

Well there is one link above Virginia USA looks like yours before you restored it asking $ 2000 usd.

Remember it is easier to adjust price down than up .

I would think a good american lathe in the UK would bring a premium.

I would hate to let it go for, say, £500, and then a week later have someone say they would have paid double that.
Or it may not even be worth £500.

As we say in the US Air force Aim High
.Tin

Latest posts

Back