Rivett lathe, what to do with it?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith5700

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I've just aquired this Rivett lathe. I know a bit of it's history as I bought it as a basket case, about 25 years ago for a mate, but he's never done anything with it, and gave it to me today.
It was working when I bought it, but was stripped for delivery, and never touched since.

I can see 3 options....

Sell it as it is
Restore it and sell it, or
Restore it and use it.

I have room in the garage to set it up, if it's worth using.

So, I realise they are precision lathes, assuming it's not worn out, but it could also be worth some money too, ie. hundreds of pounds rather than 10's of pounds.

What would you do with it?
I'm in the UK.
Cheers, Keith.

001-6_zps22299058.jpg

002-8_zps7ea73afe.jpg

003-3_zps3ced2d21.jpg

Hi I would like a chance at it if you get rid ofit . Would never be able to aford the shipping Throu Looks like a nice find Fix it and use it . Dale

Last edited:
The best thing to do IMHO, is clean paint assemble until complete. Then use it or sell it. There is a bit of a cult following of Rivetts, so sale of a running unit should yield the best return. Sell it as is is 100% profit for you, but not a large amount of money in any event.

If you don't know what to do send it to me, and I'll handle its disposal. LOL

Yes it would be nice to restore it and use it, but I'm not sure if I want to spend 200 hours of engine building time on it.
If I was assured it would be more accurate than my current lathe then I might be tempted to have a go.
I've just been looking over it and there's some really nice engineering going on there.

There's another box of bits with it:-

004-2_zps1d2ee620.jpg

I've heard that the date of manufacture is on the back of the brass Rivett nametag. Change gears sure make alot of home shop guys uninterested in a lathe like this. But its worth more than a few Quid as is.

restore it and use it. I have seen them in museums being abused by kids . Solid old machines.
Tin

Clean it up and try it contact Tony at lathes.co.uk he is the best source of information for the best options .I would restore it but I love making tools .

I know that if it were mine I would restore it just for the challenge and satisfaction of the project. Rebuilding it could be as interesting as building another model.

Another vote here for restore. A machine worthy of restoration.
Even if you never use it, ask yourself whether someone who bought it as-is would restore it with the same attention to detail as you?
Having followed your engine build with awe, I highly doubt it.

With regard to it chewing up engine building time... are there not moments when you are looking for something to do but you don't want to work on the engine?
There's no rush, one bit at a time as an occasional welcome diversion.

Hell, I would love to do it myself if I wasn't half a world away! Need to get away from this chinese machine I have.
Infact, a couple of ML7's have come up for sale recently quite nearby. Both are well priced.
One needs a restoration, the other, A tri-leva with long bed and gearbox, has already been restored.
If I wasn't so scared of imperial machines it would be a done deal already.

Last edited:
Here is a web site for a couple of friends of mine here in the States that are big Rivett fans. If you can find the serial number there is a list of serial number dates.

http://www.rivettlathe.com/

Dave

Last edited:
Many thanks for your replies.
After doing a bit of research on rivettlathe.com I reckon the serial no. puts it at 1922 vintage, although the brass plate has a signature and 18 scribed on, so that part could have been assembled earlier. Either way it's coming up for 100 years old.

The bed has a bit of wear in the usual place, but I measured it at less than a thou at the worst point
The bed is a bit dinged, but I think it has been used roughly, rather than excessively.

I think it deserves another chance, so I'm going to restore it to working condition and use it. The level of engineering which has gone into it is excellent. It seems to have the reputation of being one of the best small lathes ever made. As opposed to my Union lathe, which is probably one of the worst!
I'm looking forward to not having to lean on the tailstock to get drills to run on centre!

I'll post pics when it's done, but don't hold your breath.

Thanks again.

I think Iwas a bit premature with the amount of wear.
The top surface is good but the dovetails which are on the front show more wear.
Measuring between dowel pins between the dovetails there is a difference of 6 thou between the worst bit and an unworn bit.
I need to research if this wear can be taken out manually, I can't afford to have it ground. It looks a bit awkward to scrape so maybe some sort of former could be used with wet and dry paper?

It would fit on my Bridgeport but there's probably 3 thou of wear on that bed, if I was to use the full stroke.

Or maybe it would be better to just save it until I have funds to have it ground?

Any suggestions welcome.

clean it up before worrying too much about wear. a chip, piece of crud or a sliver of rust can measure a few thou . it may not be as bad as you think .
Tin

A quick progress report. I want to get the lathe into a state where it's useable and then see if the Rivett is as good as everything I've read recently says it is.
I managed to get the 6 thou wear down to 1 thou' so it will be ok for trying out. It's less wear than my other lathe anyway.
If I like it when I've used it I may save up to have the bed ground. Or learn how to scrape.

I'm still amazed at the level of engineering gone into the lathe.

I've had to make 2 x leadscrew nuts and the main carriage pinion, and 2 internal gears.
The rest of it looks good. The headstock plain bearings are perfect.
The only missing bits seem to be the gear covers for the headstock, and some 4NS collets.

I now need to make a bench and get some drive system rigged up.

OOOhhh It looks sooo much nicer now!!!!
good work
Tin

Keith,

Amazing restoration - it certainly doesn't look as though it's approaching its 100th birthday!

Considering its age and your statement you believe it was abused rather than used, I'd have to say it looks pretty darned good.

Excellent work and thanks for keeping another piece of old iron in use. I bet once you use that lathe a bit you wouldn't even consider selling it.

All the best,
Mike

Have to agree, very nice indeed.
I'd be very happy with a lathe like that to replace my 7x14

It is a beauty. I look at such projects and get a little green with envy.

But I'm at a loss to see how the compound can travel the length of the dovetail. Could you explain? Pictures would be best.

Just color me stupid.
Bill

Latest posts

Back