POWR-KRAFT (Logan) Lathe Info

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scootermcrad

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Great place! I did a little intro, but had some more questions regarding a lathe I just purchased. I was hoping to get some more info.

First off, to be very honest, I've never set up a lathe before. This is new stuff to me. I've only used one, and even that is not saying much. Anyway, I'm trying to change all that....

I bought this 10" POWR-KRAFT lathe (84-TLC-2139), which I'm told is essentially a Logan. 50" bed. Appears that it might be the equivalent of a Logan 821. Everything appears to be there to turn a part, but I don't know what a lot of it is. I would also like to clean it up and possibly repaint it before I get it put back together. So maybe someone can give me some recommendations on setup, paint, and maybe just some information about POWR-KRAFT in general.

Super excited to get this thing going! I have a lot to learn! I would appreciate any info you guys could provide!

So here it is before it was carefully taken apart to bring to my shop...

lathe2.jpg

lathe4.jpg

lathe5.jpg

lathe7.jpg

And how it sits, ready for clean up...

IMGP8049.jpg

IMGP8050.jpg

IMGP8053.jpg

IMGP8055.jpg

IMGP8051.jpg

IMGP8058.jpg

IMGP8063.jpg

Maybe someone can tell me what these items are. I'm assuming that the green block with the adjuster is a bottom clamp of some kind, but I have no idea.

IMGP8057.jpg

IMGP8065.jpg

Scooter,
Looks like you have a nice Logan in great condition. There are a few Logan, PowerKraft user groups. One hosted by Scott Logan is located here:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/lathe-list/

and contains a wealth of info on these lathes - direct from the manufacturers spec sheets. Provide a serial number to Scott on the forum and he can tell you the manufacturers date.

I recently acquired a Logan 825 and found this forum useful in helping me set things up correctly. I enjoy working with this lathe a lot. It is very well designed and is capable of very fine work.

I don't recognize the green object in your photo but perhaps someone else will chime in. Feel free to PM me with any questions about your lathe and I'll try to help you out.

Cheers,
Phil

Scooter,

It looks like you've got pretty much everything you need. A couple of observations.

1. You should be buy 4 carriage bolts with two nuts each to use as leveling bolts for the bed. These bolts are probably 5/8" or 1/2" diameter, whichever is the largest, that will fit through the holes in the bottom of each foot (head down). You will need some adjustment to take any twist out of the bed when you get it set up in your permanent location. You could do it with packing and shims, but bolts would be better.

2. The (green) tailstock looks like it might be off another lathe? Therefore you should check pretty carefully to make sure that the barrel center is the same height as the center of spindle in the headstock. Others might chime in here to tell you how to do it.

3. The bolts that hold the threading gear change box on don't look original to me, although that might not matter. However, it also looks like you are missing the middle bolt.

4. Can't really see in the tool box but you might need some tool bits for doing the cutting. I generally prefer carbide inserts and use TPG 321 like these: http://www.utsupply.com/Prod_Tables/tpg.htm but there are lots of other options.

5. The height gauge looks pretty much like a lost cause, but those are pretty inexpensive to replace :D

By the way, I have an 11.5" logan so I know a little bit about them...

Chuck

That's going to be a nice machine. I have a Logan 820 and I really like it.
I can't tell for sure but it looks like the spindle bearing retainer is missing on yours. The one right behind the chuck, if so you will have to get one along with the metal shield for the bearing.

Looks like a South Bend clone and if if this is the case You can improve it by putting it on a solid foundation.Espesially as it is a long bed thing.
My Boxford have 6 anchor points on bed underside and I put it on a piece of rock supported on all points.
The improvement in accuracy and surface quality relative to my first configuration(much like Yours) is real and the granite is not more than 150 kilogram.

Granit 022.jpg

Granit 025.jpg

Thanks for the input guys! Good stuff and some great observations! Definitely a re-badged Logan, based on all the part numbers on it. Even the legs say Logan right on them.

Yeah, the tail stock raised a flag with me as well. Definitely going to have to be careful with that one. The strange thing is the mis-matched colors of things all over the place. I don't know if someone just got crazy with a paint can, but usually mis-matched paint implies that there has been some exchange of parts at one point in it's past.

As for anything that might be missing, I have no idea. There is a tub that came with it that is just FULL of extra parts including an entire set of gears and I'm assuming related parts. Need to get a manual and get organized to see what's missing and what's been exchanged. The spindle plate mentioned may be sitting right in front of me, but I wouldn't know. HA!

Here's the tub, but there is also a whole 'nother tray of stuff and a tool box full of cutters.

IMGP8066.jpg

For cutters, I didn't show it, but I have a pretty good assortment of cutters that came with it. Must be a hundred different cutters and maybe even a couple boring bars. It appears a couple different tool holders as well. Quick change and post style?? (just guessing)

Great info! Keep it coming! I'm going to check out and join the Yahoo! users group for sure!

Just ran the SN. My mistake. It's stamped as a Montgomery Wards lathe and was apparently made in 1949. I LOVE old machine tools! :D

It's a Logan. Montgomery Wards sold Logan lathes under their Powercraft name. Sears Roebuck sold Atlas Lathes under their Craftsman name. Don't think Southbend ever sold their lathes under another name.

By the way, the piece with three bolt holes around the outside in the upper right corner of the parts bin picture is the front spindle bearing cover that DOZX mentioned.

Chuck

cfellows said:
It's a Logan. Montgomery Wards sold Logan lathes under their Powercraft name. Sears Roebuck sold Atlas Lathes under their Craftsman name. Don't think Southbend ever sold their lathes under another name.

By the way, the piece with three bolt holes around the outside in the upper right corner of the parts bin picture is the front spindle bearing cover that DOZX mentioned.

Chuck

Great! Thanks Chuck! I figured that might be the piece.

Not sure if the missing bolt is in there too. Might be. That would be good. I would like to keep it as original as possible and only make updates for performance, when needed.

Scooter,
Be aware that in your photo #1 (top) the backgear is not engaged and in photo #5 from the top it is engaged. A common problem occurs if the backgear shifter has ever been disassembled. If the shifter rod is pushed back into place the rack will not engage the eccentric rod properly. The result is that when backgear is placed in position any load placed upon it will cause it to disengage (don’t ask me how I know this).

The proper method for reinserting the shifter rack is described on the yahoo forum. This helped put me on the right track (no pun) ;).

Cheers,
Phil

Philjoe5 said:
Scooter,
Be aware that in your photo #1 (top) the backgear is not engaged and in photo #5 from the top it is engaged. A common problem occurs if the backgear shifter has ever been disassembled. If the shifter rod is pushed back into place the rack will not engage the eccentric rod properly. The result is that when backgear is placed in position any load placed upon it will cause it to disengage (don’t ask me how I know this).

The proper method for reinserting the shifter rack is described on the yahoo forum. This helped put me on the right track (no pun) ;).

Cheers,
Phil
Ah geesh.... I have no idea what I'm doing. I didn't even know that until I looked at the pictures. And even MORE embarrassing, I didn't even know what that DID! HAHA! I really need to get some reading in and a parts manual. I found some links for a parts manual. Does the parts manual include a USER'S manual, or is there one of those out there too.

Total rookie here, folks! Never used one of these. Now I know how a 90-year-old person feels when they look at the new touch-screen cell phone! HA! :D I don't know what any of these things do... YET!

Not to worry scooter. Six months ago I did not know what a Logan lathe looked like.

There are many resources available to make your learning curve a little less overwhelming. The Logan company still exists, though they are not making lathes these days. But they have replacement parts and machine manuals. They are located here:

http://store.lathe.com/

I've also gotten spare parts on eBay and manuals show up there too. Have fun with your lathe.

Cheers,
Phil

I think the tailstock is Logan. They have a pretty distinctive shape. It might not be orignal to your lathe though, so check it center-to-center with the spindle when you get it cleaned up.

It is possible your lathe may have been originally a change-gear model that was later upgraded to the QC gearbox. that would explain the gears in the tub as well as the odd and missing bolts on the QC box. Scott Logan can tell you when it was told and in what configuration. He might can tell you what city it shipped to.

All that dirty rusty tooling: Go buy a gallon or two of Evaporust at Harbor Freight or your local hardware or auto parts store. Wash all the dirty tooling with soapy water, drain, then immediately pile them into a clean plastic tub and cover with Evaporust.

Next day they will be rust-free and ready to wipe down. Save the liquid for the next batch.

Logans are good tools. Enjoy yourself with it, then make sure someone younger than you also learns to use it so you will have someone to pass it on to when you are done with it.

What SHOULD the bolts be? If the tail stock checks out to be "off", what can one do to make it workable? I bought it from a friend and he says he used it this way, so I'm inclined to believe him, but he admits he was no machinist either.

scootermcrad said:
What SHOULD the bolts be? If the tail stock checks out to be "off", what can one do to make it workable? I bought it from a friend and he says he used it this way, so I'm inclined to believe him, but he admits he was no machinist either.

The front to back alignment is adjustable by the set screws in the base. However, if the vertical alignment is off it will have to be raised (with shims) or lowered (perhaps by milling off some between the top and base) as the case may be.

Chuck

Here is a pic of the original bolts in mine.

P1070025.jpg

And one of my TS

P1070027.jpg

Am I missing something here?
Interesting that there is no friction knob on the apron for feed. May be do the the possible QC box upgrade or just a power craft thing. Maybe something to also ask Scott about. keep in mind that when you power feed with the half nut you want to be sure you know were everything is. You will only have to crash it once to learn this lesson.
DOZX what model and year is your Logan you have oil cups on the gear box I don't have them and do you have power cross feed ?
Dave

Dave
I noticed that as well. I think my rig was built in 1944. Here is a pic of my apron so scooter can check his out.

LOGANAPRON.jpg

Latest posts

Back