Another Aussie

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Alan, And "welcome to the forum".
I am an original Englishman (Pommy) from what you may call Blighty? I appreciate we have different languages, and humour, so please excuse mine if I hit the "wrong button". It sometimes happens on this forum as there are so many using various versions of "English" (Some make me cringe, but we must share the same planet, so I try to be forgiving of "those that mis-use the King's English through no fault of their own. Simply "distance for many generations").
Like language, "rules and regulations" vary globally. So while we have "British Standards", there are many erstwhile bodies who have written their own, or simply plagiarised others' Regs. for their own use.
I.E. The Australian regulations for pressure vessels. Very like the American Society of Mechanical Engineers' (ASME) version. Can be found on-line.... but you may pay a fortune for them.
I correspondence with others on this forum, I have worked-out a few things. These rules may help you get a perspective on managing steam vessels.
  • In many "western-style" countries, any insurance claim is quickly refuted by clever companies, to avoid them paying out any money. So if a steam boiler should leak a little, and someone gets a burn or scald from the Hot boiler or steam, then claims against the "user/operator" of that boiler, then the insurance company will immediately say "show us the documentation and proof of safe operation" - of which a boiler certificate is also expected.
  • Your local club will contain experts (some of whom may really be expert?) and insurance, and rules whereby you can get covered by that insurance. I.E. pay them a membership fee, get them to test and certify the boiler, and teach you the safe practices that they manage to allow the insurance to cover operation of steam boilers.
Works for me! Like relationships with a person. It is good to be close to someone and it is not a legal requirement for every partnership to be certified. But if things go wrong (inevitable, as human bodies are not reliable) then without a certificate, life is more difficult to resolve. And people get close to their models, including "Old boilers"... So certification is a help if things go wrong.
But club membership also has the benefit that I enjoy sharing "model making and steaming" with like minded wierdos.... - a bit like corresponding in this forum?
Enjoy our company, you sound like another of our kind... (of wierdo?)
I am not fully familiar with Australian Regs, but I have done calculations on the strength of boilers (mostly to ASME) to help people design their own variations of boilers. (Usually a variation arises because the material is different to the original design - e.g. metric versus imperial sizes and thicknesses). So ask and I shall try to help?
regards,
K2

Hello Alan and welcome. Would you mind posting a link to the Retrol HM-01 that you purchased? I would also be interested in your thoughts on it when you receive it. Thanks, Ross.
Hi Ross, Still haven't received the HM-oi yet but here is a youtube link about the building of the kit, there are other videos on how to improve it's performance as well..

Hi K2, I bought a copy of the AMBSC code part 3 as my engine has a 63mm dia boiler putting me in the sub-miniature sizing, trouble is, at the end of it it says that stays maybe required as per stay design in Part 1 of the code, and me being a cheap ar&e, I only bought part 3. So now it looks like I am up for another part and postage, when will I ever learn :(. I will look through all your links as with all the other offers of help from others. sorry for late reply, been out in the shed filing away and drilling.

regards
als54

Latest posts

Back