Another Aussie

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

als54

Reaction score
Hi Alan here, new to this site, a retired Plumber with too many interests but model steam has hooked me so
I'm just sorting things out to start at my first steam project, I have a untidy but reasonable workshop shed with a dusty lathe and
mill. In the past I have built a hotrod from ground up, rebuilt a F100 body off resto mod, built smokers from old LPG tanks loads of wood
working projects and just thought I might snoop around here and gather some info, or maybe help out with some.
Oh and I have ordered a Retrol HM-01 model hit and miss engine so I have one of my own to stand and stare at :) .
So thanks for excepting my membership request and I hope I get to know a few of you on the forums.

Hi Alan
John here from Kings Langley Blacktown area. You should visit Sydney Society of Model Engineers at Luddernam last Sunday each month check out our website.
Will have a great time.
Cheers
John

Hi Alan here, new to this site, a retired Plumber with too many interests but model steam has hooked me so
I'm just sorting things out to start at my first steam project, I have a untidy but reasonable workshop shed with a dusty lathe and
mill. In the past I have built a hotrod from ground up, rebuilt a F100 body off resto mod, built smokers from old LPG tanks loads of wood
working projects and just thought I might snoop around here and gather some info, or maybe help out with some.
Oh and I have ordered a Retrol HM-01 model hit and miss engine so I have one of my own to stand and stare at :) .
So thanks for excepting my membership request and I hope I get to know a few of you on the forums.
Welcome to the group

Dave

I'm just sorting things out to start at my first steam project,
Just a quick heads up......building of any steam engine in Aus o.k. but the running (on steam) comes under rather intensive legal requirements.
Many have given it away for that reason.

Welcome als54, good to see another Aussie in the Membership.
This Forum is the the font of knowledge provided by a lot of smart people.
Looking forward to your project progress.
Cheers from Adelaide.

I adjusted my post so you could read it "down under".

Image1.jpg

Best call it a "beam engine" then to avoid any unpleasantries.

Well you can call it whatever you like, but fact remains if it blows up for whatever reason, or, if someone observes it under steam power without the relevant documents, it can/will be costly.
That IS a fact so might be a good idea to keep your half smart comments to yourself in future.

Hello Alan and welcome. Would you mind posting a link to the Retrol HM-01 that you purchased? I would also be interested in your thoughts on it when you receive it. Thanks, Ross.

Well you can call it whatever you like, but fact remains if it blows up for whatever reason, or, if someone observes it under steam power without the relevant documents, it can/will be costly.
That IS a fact so might be a good idea to keep your half smart comments to yourself in future.
Perhaps you need to quit acting like a high school hall monitor.

You are aware that this is a hobby forum, and humor is allowed ?

Last edited:
A little lite on the humor side I see.

Welcome, Steam here but one day a hit and miss.

Welcome to the forum als54.
I run all my small, "steam" engines on compressed air. In fact some will happily run on an air-brush compressor (the really small cylinder volume ones).
Steam regulations are to my understanding undergoing yet another review and I'm sure there is a minimum boiler size where you have fewer regs.
Have fun with the hobby.
John B

Latest posts

Back