Harbor Frieght 1440 Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need some help if someone can, this Harbor Freight lathe, 1440 was wondering if anyone knew who made it made it for them, I called them wanted to get the screw on plates that tell the speed and threading chart, Metri and Stanard threads, they tell me parts are not a viable, until I can find something would someone know what type of oil goes in the head stock, light oil or heavy, thanks for help in advance, Joe

I would look on ebay for same size lathe and try find a look a like.

I need some help if someone can, this Harbor Freight lathe, 1440 was wondering if anyone knew who made it made it for them, I called them wanted to get the screw on plates that tell the speed and threading chart, Metri and Stanard threads, they tell me parts are not a viable, until I can find something would someone know what type of oil goes in the head stock, light oil or heavy, thanks for help in advance, Joe
I did not know Harbor Freight had a lathe that big. I will have to check that out.

SmithDoor, did check that out no look but do have it on watch notification.​

k2steve, back when I bought this one that had up to 20" if I remember correctly.​

djc, that is the exact lathe, I was not able to download it for some reason, but will try it again, that is something I thought of but at this time I don't know anyone with one, yes that would be a permanent fix to the answer of the ink or weak paint that is on there, thanks​

I will say this about the machine it is super accurate, keeps its tolerance very well and will cut like a beast, mine has the three phase motor, I have several other lathes and use them also but if is my favorite one, I have been having it 17-18 years and the only thing on repairs that I have done is to adjust the limit switch on the foot brake lever, thanks again for the help and guidance, Joe

I was not able to download it for some reason, but will try it again, that is something I thought of but at this time I don't know anyone with one

Scribd is a membership site. Go the the Scribd URL and copy it. Then search Google for 'scribd downloader'. Paste the URL into the downloader.

Alternatively, now you know the Birmingham model number, see if you can locate the manual in a free download place.

In the short term, you could print out the charts and laminate them. That would also allow you to see if the way you have formatted them/layed them out is ergonomic for your use. Another possible option might be somewhere that does trophy engraving. You could chemically etch the plate in the same way that people used to make printed circuit boards. Someone with a Cricut could make the mask for you.

Hi, here in the uk I believe it's sold under the trade name WARCO

Latest posts

Back