New Here. Hello!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smpstech

Reaction score
Hello all,

Found this forum about a week ago. I am currently a Mechanical Engineer in training and am very interested in engine design. About a year ago, the idea of a miniature engine fascinated me so much I decided to take a whack at designing one myself. At the time I was learning some 2D cad stuff in college, mostly Autodesk AutoCAD 2012. I designed a very crude 900cc direct acting over head cam 4 cylinder engine with 9:1 compression. I had been enamored with engine design for a while before that and it was a completely indigenous design. It was, lets say, an interesting design. The lobe separation angle was set at 90 degrees, the compression ratio was completely accidental that it came out to exactly 9:1, etc... but aside from the cam design issues I think it would have ran.

For my Autodesk Inventor 2013 class I took up actually designing an engine that would be something I could actually make. This time, I was armed with a lot more knowledge, and have came up with a design for a 12.5cc two cylinder, four stroke engine that I have designed to be quite machinable. I am currently still working on getting the design perfected and will probably be asking for design help in the near future. I have about 3 or 4 months to get the design finalized before I have access to my college's machine tool lab. Most of the parts will be made on CNC.

Hi Smpstech and welcome to HMEM. That's quite a project you are taking on there. Please keep us posted.

Hello smpstech,

Welcome to this forum. Your posting brought back a memory of one of my early cars, a 1976 Datsun B210 with a 1600 cc engine. Your comments:

miniature engine
and
a very crude 900cc

made me realize how far we've gone in almost 40 years.

Keep us in the loop for your engine plans

Phil

Hello smpstech,

Welcome to this forum. Your posting brought back a memory of one of my early cars, a 1976 Datsun B210 with a 1600 cc engine. Your comments:

and

made me realize how far we've gone in almost 40 years.

Keep us in the loop for your engine plans

Phil

Ha, yeah. I had the intention to make something that would be a desktop runner, just started drawing with dimensions that just felt right. It was my first time I was really given free reign in 2D CAD software and I wound up making a motorcycle (though more of an economy car) engine. Live and learn, I guess.

I will hopefully be finishing up the bulk of the engine design this weekend, but I'm going to start a thread and start looking for advice.

Latest posts

Back