My First Engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodster

Reaction score
Ok, so as i said in my welcome post, here are a few pics of some amateurish engines i knocked up when i was a CNC turner back in my teens/early 20s. All parts were made ad-hoc on a rather battered boxford lathe and a drill press. No milling, no vertical slide on lathe, just simple lathe with 3 & 4 jaw chucks and a drill press. All made from scrap and bar ends and most with sawn finish!
20121216_111506_zpsbda01c22.jpg

In line 4 cylinder air powered with simple rotary valve on end of crank. Did i mention they were amateurish??
20121216_111416_zps213fc489.jpg

Simple wobbler.
20121216_111253_zps683af5dd.jpg

Slightly more involved wobbler with piston valve on an eccentric.
All engines were made up as i went along while i had a cut going on the YAM CNC lathe.

Thoughts/comments welcome!

Woodster.

These are certainly solid, how well do they run? Are you planning on making some newer models Woodster?

cheers, Ian

They all run well from a hand bicycle pump (briefly) as i don't have a compressor, but when built they all ran superb off of a compressor, especially the in-line 4.
What's next? Well i'm toying with the idea of a 2 stroke 60deg V8, using the pistons in a closed cylinder for induction & compression. Just waiting for the wifes redundancy cheque to turn up so i can get a small lathe and mill. Hopefully at the end of the month.

They all run well from a hand bicycle pump (briefly) as i don't have a compressor, but when built they all ran superb off of a compressor, especially the in-line 4.
What's next? Well i'm toying with the idea of a 2 stroke 60deg V8, using the pistons in a closed cylinder for induction & compression. Just waiting for the wifes redundancy cheque to turn up so i can get a small lathe and mill. Hopefully at the end of the month.
So, let's see, I turn in my redundant wives and get a check? Wow.
Cool engines, please make some more.

Latest posts

Back