Ignore this topic

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Squirrel, I wish I could say it felt easy. Took me way longer than I would have liked, but I learned a lot of new tricks, so I regard that as valuable.

Cheers,

BW

Good morning, I'd like to get in on the build if there is still room. I'm new here but I have some experience in model building (simple ones) :) . I have a lathe and a mill.
Dick

Added you to the rollcall, Dick.

Eric

Edited due to lack of sleep! :big:

Man...

I was going on 36 hours with no sleep...

Now I know where your mind is. :big:

Eric

OK I just want to stay involved now that I'm in. ;D I read this entire thread and the Combers sounds great. I'll go with doubling and if the consensus is for both that is fine too. When do we start? Who going to distribute the parts/prints to the participants? When done do we ship one to each person or all to one location? Now your getting the questions! ;D
Dick

Dick L. said:
OK I just want to stay involved now that I'm in. ;D I read this entire thread and the Coomers sounds great. I'll go with doubling and if the consensus is for both that is fine too. When do we start? Who going to distribute the parts/prints to the participants? When done do we ship one to each person or all to one location? Now your getting the questions! ;D
Dick

We will be doing the parts assignments this week. Depending on your location will depend on shipping. We have set up a system for shipping with people who are not in the US.

I will explain more later :)

Eric

The only reservation I have with 2 teams is I don't want anyone building parts that they aren't comfortable with. Other than that, It would probably be OK. I just want everyone to have fun:eek:)

Wes

I don't want 2 teams for basically the same reasons Wes pointed out. If it comes down to it, we will just build a to scale version and not mess with up scaling it.

Eric

Could we get a recap of who all is participating in this build. I think I was in way at the beginning, basically too lazy to sort back through the thread. I am looking forward to the ride.

Brian

Hey guys:
Started to put the parts together that I have. I will say I am very impressed. I did have to clean a little metal polish out of the block and the holes in the metal base need the countersinking deepened a little and pilot holes need to be drilled in the wood base. The fit and finish on these parts are awesome you guys rock.
The crankshaft to block fit is perfect as is the piston cylinder fit. This engine is going to be a great runner as well as eye candy.
I still need to finish the reversing valve parts and and we are still waiting on columns and fittings.

EOCTB08-3.jpg

EOCTB08-1.jpg

Cant wait till we can get all the parts together and put some air to it.
Tin

i for one would be real happy to have a connecting rod that looked like that :eek: 8) ;D

are they going to be cnc'd ?

chuck

Well, I finally got a chance to start on the cylinders today. Work has really been interfering with my real life lately.

Anyway, material arrived a couple weeks ago. I started cutting some blocks and facing them off to square corners and parallel sides.

I started facing them in the 4-jaw on the lathe but the first one came out slightly crooked so I just chucked them up on the mill. It still had plenty of meat on it, so no scrap yet.
tn_cyl-1.jpg

8 little bundles of brass. These things sure are tiny! I'll have to get a close up with something for reference.
tn_cyl-2.jpg

The nice thing about these cylinders is they are nice and symmetrical. Once you get set up, drill one hole then flip it to drill the other.
tn_cyl-3.jpg

That's it for now. More tomorrow.

I was figuring out the remaining steps I have to do on the bearings and when I got to the oil cup holes I realized that on the large one that houses the valve spool I will short circuit the flow if I drill thru for the oil cup. I can maybe do a blind hole bottom tapped with a thread or two. The other way around would be to move one or the other off center. (oil cups or valve cuts and ports) Any thoughts on this?
Dick

Finally got to spend a bit of time in the shop yesterday morning. The weather here was absolutely beautiful, so before getting the yard in order I stole about an hour to get things moving along on the project. It's not much, just drilled some more holes.

This hole is at a 15 degree angle so I used the angle block I made earlier to set it up. The entry point is at the edge of the cylinder. Once that was located I used a 1/16 inch end mill to make a flat spot for the drill then poked a hole in the brass. This hole needs to meet up with the hole in the face so it was a bit fiddly to find it, but once found I could set the depth stop. Then it was simply a matter of turning the block over to drill the other side. With the vise stop and angle block each piece was easy to drill.
tn_cyl-4.jpg

Hard dives (& CD drives) use a brushless motor. Same basic idea as those nice brushless servo motors we all wish we could have a set of. A brushless motor would make a nice spindle drive motor, and in fact, modern cnc machines use brushless motors for axis and spindle drives. Machine at the new job has a 12,000 RPM direct drive spindle. Most of teh others are slower speed...

Brushless motors and contollers have excellent speed and position control with good torque characteristics from low speed to high speed. 0 - 5000 RPM in a relatively inexpensive package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back