Ignore this topic

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Reaction score
In the past I have built a couple of Jerry Howell's Sterling Engines and a small upright steam engine, now the Poppin is going to be my next project. Yes these small engines are addictive. Is there a substitute for cast iron for the clyinder? I don't know where to get a small piece of cast that isn't so hard that it can machined. This is the last engine that I have finished recently

FinishedMotor.jpg

Oh, I have a 9x20 lathe and a 6x26 knee mill

Jack in St. Louis

Hmm the thought of making spares has never occurred to me. we have had to make a couple of replacements for parts that broke. I have made extras a couple of times for future engines in other words make several fly wheels or crank disks while the set up and material are there. then when making a similar engine you have a couple fewer parts to make.
Tin

I built this last year, it was a challenge to make but watching it run while sitting on cup of hot coffee makes it all worthwhile. These little projects are
cerainly addictive.

FirstHotAirEngine.jpg

I am a retired printer who started building things a few years ago when I was given an old lathe (1885 Barnes) if I knew then what I know now I would passed and ran away fast, but NO i took it home and now I have a Harbour Frieght, 9x20 lathe, 6x26 Grizzly knee mill, 4x6 crappy saw and a bunch of tooling, enough to make several model sterlings, a couple of steam engines, yes, it's an addiction not a hobby. I recently received a new Grizzly mill and for Father's Day my kids got me a 3 axis DRO. I just love the bolt hole pattern feature.

steam019.jpg

That's my latest steam engine sitting on the mill table, the Coke can is for size reference only, I would never leave a soda can on the mill while working.
Jack in St. Louis

Jack are you aware of Enco's free shipping on orders of $50.00 or more and under 85 lbs. You can use the July free shipping code WBJY7 on your order and get free shipping. I use it all the time and saves a bunch! They change the code each month.
Mel

Just joined the group. I have been making model for 1 1/2 years. I have completed nine so far. I am working on the mine eng. that is showen on this web site. I have been a woodworker for 40 years and was looking for a new past time when I found eng making.

I just placed an order with ENCO and I did use the Free Shipping Code that you gave me, Thanks for the Heads Up by saving on the shipping I was able to buy a few more goodies, We can't have enough tooling Can We? :lol:

Thanks;

Jack in St. Louis

I have the red version from Horrible freight, I have had it for about 3 years now so I have most of the bugs out of it by now.

I have been able to make some prety nice little engines and things, plus a whole of chips with it.

P5310003.jpg

Jack in St. Louis :D

I started the other day with some scraps from under the bench, ordered some cast iron from Enco last night after several hours of turning big pieces of metal in to little pieces, I have this:

Poppin001.jpg

Poppin002.jpg

Poppin003.jpg

I think we should all build one of these as a homework assignment and post them here.

I'm having fun making a mess on the floor. Don't worry about the four little holes, I put in the radius unstead of diameter on the DRO bolt hole circle thingy. :lol:

Wareagle, I had to chuckle a little when I read your post on shop lighting. You are correct about having equipment and lighting on separate breakers. What I thought was funny is that if it's dark outside---- I'm normally in bed . But then you’re probably a lot younger for sure more dedicated to your hobby.
The thing that almost got me in my shop was my drill press. 12" piece of flat bar, drilling a 1/2 hole about inch from the end, not secured in a vise, caught and took out the front of my shirt, big scrap on the big end of my belly! I looked down hoping not to see my guts spilling out. Now I use a vise for all drilling. :oops:
Mel

This is "Miser" Sterling I purchased the plans from Jerry Howell in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

http://www.jerry-howell.com/

This should take you to his website, his plans are very clear, well drawn and very easy to follow. They are very reasonably priced, I have built 2 of his engines and get a lot of compliments on his designs.

This is another one of my small Sterlings that I recently finished, it took me about 4 months to make but I took my time and I am very happy with the final results.

BackSideofEngine.jpg

Mr. Rhoades, that is just what I've been looking for. I done a little research and came up with a artical that I think is the same engine @ this web site. http://www.geocities.com/~rrice2/my_engines/farmengn/hayseed.htm
It shows a lot of how it runs. Is it the same engine? I think I also found the place to order the back issues of the magazine with the plans. The magazine is out of business except for selling back issues. Are the plans detailed enough for a low skilled person like me to work from?
Thanks for any info you might be willing to share.
Mel

I'm using a Grizzly 9x20 lathe with a modified 4 bolt compound clamp. I was able to measure the taper as roughly 0.0005" over the cylinder length of 2.625". I estimated it by making a 2 pistons that would just fit in either end. I think the gibs are adjusted properly, but for this amount of taper maybe they need to be really snugged up?

I did mean five ten thousandths of an inch, 0.0005". I drill up to 0.75", then switch to an indexable boring bar to finish at 1.125". :D

I agree about the capabilities of this bench lathe. I just finished J. Early's version of the 4 bolt compound clamp described on the yahoo 9x20 forum and it made a huge difference in reducing chatter when parting and taking heavy cuts. My next modification will be to the toolpost holder.

Chuck, it’s obvious that you are way ahead of me and probably most of the rest of us, Please share some of your knowledge with us. Any little trick and short cut will be welcomed. We need encouragement, wisdom, and drawings, oh and did I mention HELP
Mel

I made my living as a printer for about 38 years and I always have been fixing and building things. I have restored player pianos, flew RC planes, and restored antique cars mostly model T's and model A FORD's. When I retired a few years ago I wanted something to do so I fixed up and old lathe so that I would have something to play with. Well, it lead to a 9x20 lathe, mini-mill, 4x6 band saw, a mig welder, A/O torch oufit and I started playing in the basement. About 18 months ago my wife came down with Lou Gehrigs Disease so I had to stop playing and take care of her, well she lost her battle with the disease this past February so in order to keep busy I pretty much spend most days and nights in my little shop which now has grown to half of the basement. I just bought a new Grizzly 6x26 knee mill with DRO and I love it. I will probaly replace the H-F 9x20 lathe with something bigger but I don't know which lathe yet. I love showing off my work to anybody that will look at it, watching a sterling running on top of a cup of coffee makes one feel good.
FinishedEngine.jpg

FirstHotAirEngine.jpg

The practice you just mentioned is useful to cut an oval hammer handle, and was featured in a book "Things to Make in Your Home Shop", 1924.
Thinking outside the box. I like it.

I made a fixture like your talking about to cut worm gears. I've been looking for the article that I used for the plans and can't find it. I will look some more tomorrow. any ways I'm posting some photos the parts and pieces and a action shot. I used a 1/2 ' X 12 tap to start the cutting process and then used the Hob I made to finish the gear, The hob is made from 1/2X 12 pitch acme rod. I never got around to harden it, only used it on aluminum. It works real well.
Mel
gearturningfixture003Small.jpg

gearturningfixture006Small.jpg

gearturningfixture011Small.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back