Ignore this topic

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kf2qd said:
Hard dives (& CD drives) use a brushless motor.

Hmmm ... for a really small lathe spindle, one that spins up to 7200 rpm (fairly common these days) geared/belted down to around 1800-2400 rpm (easy numbers - 4:1 & 3:1) although I've seen some for model airplanes that can spin a really wicked prop that would probably have oodles (Doncha just love highly technical terms? :)) of torque.

Brushless motors and contollers have excellent speed and position control with good torque characteristics from low speed to high speed. 0 - 5000 RPM in a relatively inexpensive package.

Okay, so brushless motors in a neat closed loop with the spindle seems like the winner here.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Kludge (WH7HG, ex-K3MXO)

Got the tools so what are you gonna build?

I need the addresses of the following two members:

te_gui
bretk

Guys, I need your addresses and for you to confirm you are still involved.

Thanks!

Eric

Why would anybody call this a Swedish Endmill?

FinSwedish.jpg

Because the other ones are Finnish! :D

Finish.jpg

Hello Shred:

If you go to: http://www.wentztech.com/metalworking/DieFiler/DieFiler.html you will find a manual for your die filer scanned in PDF format.

I also recently bought one of these machines and found this information on the PM Board in the Manuals Section. If you go to the Practical Machinist website you can find this there in addition there is a thread with some more information on these die filers referenced there. Hope this helps.

I think you will be glad you brought it home as they are a beautifully made die filer.

Regards,
Mike

Well in case you have not figured it out by now this has turned into a build blog.
I realized I need some more wire etc to build this to my liking and rely want to push forward. So decided to do a temp wire up to get things going. For now am just concentrating on getting the x-y axis going with the factory lead screws. will probaly order the ball screws in the next week or two.
Not sure if I am being lazy or wise but plan on getting the cnc going to finish the main Z axis mounting plate.
so today's progress:
power supply wired
gecko wired
e-stop box drilled e-stop button wired
x-axis motor wired

I kept the face plate of the old XT power supply so plan on using the input power plug the switch and the fan but will hook them up later. I am glad I have had to solder up a few DB9 connectors at work in the past few months the practice has come in handy.
Tin

Another question that came to my mind was "Why was steam power so prevalent for so long?".

My answer: Every historic successful engine that I know of uses a pressure difference to create mechanical motion. It is very simple to build moderately high sustained pressures just by boiling water. All one needs is a closed container and a fire. Maybe later the thermodynamic advantages of steam over air became important but in the beginning I think it was just because it was so simple to develop pressure with steam.

Or do I have it all wrong?

earl...

Dig through this site - backyardmetalcasting.com . There is a lot of good info available, and many of the guys seem to achieve good results with little expenditure.

If I'm doing a machining operation for the first time, or its a 'one chance only', I usually do a dummy run on pieces of scrap.

I'm not playing, I'm experimenting. ;D

I believe that you want to use the fine thread drywall screws and a decent cordless drill with the torque set right.

Phelonius,
Most if not all machine tool retailers give them out for free. Check with the one nearest you. The Marshalls store near me has them and they always have a lot of stuff on their bargain table.

Jack.

I've got it home now and checked it more carefully. The wheel is 7.242 inches or 184mm so using the formula Mod = OD /(N+2)
it seems that it is 2 Module gear. I presume the formula for the pitch of the worm is Mod * pi which gives 6.283mm pitch. How can I set this up on an imperial Myford Super 7 with QC box? 4.043 TPI

Richard1 said:
...it seems that it is 2 Module gear. I presume the formula for the pitch of the worm is Mod * pi which gives 6.283mm pitch. How can I set this up on an imperial Myford Super 7 with QC box? 4.043 TPI?

Buy a proper lathe that uses change wheels instead of a gearbox? :)

Because the pitch you are cutting is greater than that of the leadscrew, you may have to (back) drive the spindle via the leadscrew instead of the more normal spindle-drives-leadscrew arrangement.

Not much help for a gearbox model, but at http://metal.duncanamps.com/software.php you can find software that will give you change gear combinations for any pitch.

Alternatively, set the gearbox for 4tpi and use change gears that give you a ratio of 4.043/4.000 . http://www.mcs.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/R.Knott/Fibonacci/cfCALC.html will give you 94/93 as a good approximation.

----------

Added 24h later: Also, if you buy Martin Cleeve's superb book, 'Screwcutting in the lathe' ISBN 0852428383, pages 56-57 will provide every bit of information you will ever need. Drop me a PM and we can arrange some method by which you will receive the pages cited...

While not wanting to detract from the single pointing focus of this thread.

If you are having trouble getting a die to start straight, you need one of these chuck held die holders. This one uses 32mm hex that I had on hand, the body is 60mm long and is bored to a depth of 50mm. Spindle is 16mm.

Leave the chuck just loose enough that you can turn the holder by hand or spanner.

tailstockdieholder.jpg

edit. Added first line. Where's my manners!

Hello all!
I have been a silent member for awhile,
Been machining for about 4 years, specilizing in turning good metal into scrap.
Just thought I would say Hi!
KD7FHG

KD7FHG

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

At the end of a shift one of the older machinists was at odds with an inspector.

Machinist:
You know I saw a job posting where you could really excel.
That big grocery wholesaler is looking for someone capable of
sorting the fly s#!t out of the black pepper.

Inspector:
Well they I hear they are also looking for certified butchers.
With the years of documentation I have you'd be a shoe in!

At that point I decided to wait until I got home to wash up and exited the
locker room.
Rof}

Rick

Before you get rid of it i would love to see some pictures of a pegboard lathe. Never heard of one before so it would fill in one of those places in my memory that just needs to have some info/knowledge of questionable value stuffed in it. (otherwise known as curiosity)

For its size it has to run extremely fast to get that kind of power output. And how do you tie onto that engine to use the power without twisting the housing off.

Interresting. I think I can figure out some of the logic to the pegboard from the picture. An interresting solution to an automatic machine. Did it have adjustable stops on the ram like a turret lathe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back