Ignore this topic

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alphawolf45 said:
Initially I was under the impression that a team build would be of an engine that was larger and more complex than an average working guy would want to tackle in his own limited spare time..but Thats not right at all is it?.......But dont'cha think That engine is just too simple?

Please read my reply above.

Another option is too find a larger engine to build. Or even a more complex one. That is why I am asking for suggestions for the build.

I wouldn't mind doing something like one Hamilton Upshur's engines. Or Dulcos or whomever... But as a team member, be prepared because some designs we may have to each buy the plans.

There are some good free ones out there. Jan Ridders has the Linford 2 Stroke Which I would love to build.

Would a more complex IC motor be our speed? I am more than willing to try.

Eric

I prefer a stand alone engine that doesn't need a compressor and haven't tried building a boiler for lack of soldering experience. I would love to build an IC. My hoglet has been on hold for a while.
But as a team member, be prepared because some designs we may have to each buy the plans.
I was wondering about this, are Elmers engines not copyright since Modeltec went under? Are his books still available.

kustomkb said:
... was wondering about this, are Elmers engines not copyright since Modeltec went under? Are his books still available.

The copyright owner has created several Yahoo groups dedicated to Elmer's engines. I don't have the links handy, but when you join the group (it is free) you have access to download the plans. So while they are still copyrighted, the owner is giving back to the model community by offering them for free.

Eric

BTW... I have changed the poll.

One of the great things about the team build is the input from the team.

The philosophy of the team build was originally my idea. I wanted people to get involved with one another that goes beyond the board. I wanted people who are new to machining to be able to jump in and learn. I figured it was a good way for newbs and masters to work together and learn new things. Nothing improves your work like making the same piece 10 times in a row.

My opinion is this. The team build works on proven builds with only minor modifications (like the Elmer's OC). We allow for artistic creativity (with the team's approval).

Eric, that is the way to do a team build.
A team should consist of people of all capabilities, going at the pace of the slowest and least experienced of the team. Not let it turn into a team of elitists and 'I wants'.

This is a site for learning , friendliness and help, not a challenge to all except the experienced.

BTW, the suggestion of using my plans would be of no use for a team build, as the build relies upon making things to fit, before going onto the next bit. It is designed to be built by a beginner, but allowing for a lot to go wrong along the way, and by a bit of dodging and fiddling, almost guaranteed to have a complicated looking, running engine at the end of it.

John

Eric,
I agree with your team build philosophy as outlined in reply #35.

I am up for almost anything the team would like to build, simple or complex. About the only limitations I would like is that the project not be so complex that it will take more than 6 or 8 months to finish and that there be parts involved such that all skill levels can participate.

All of us have personal situations that change. For some, interests change also and they might not want to continue or be tied down with a very long project.

Remember, this is all for fun. When it quits being fun then it's time to quit doing it.

Gail in NM,USA

Eric,

I really like that Linford 2 stroke! :eek: ;D I have never built an IC engine, and always wanted one, like a Duclos Odds and Ends. I would be willing to try. And with this list's braintrust, I am sure we could accomplish most anything.

I would also be happy with our original choice, so either way count me in ;)

Whatever we do, it sure would be neat to have a display of our team builds at next year's NAMES show!

-Bret

A few newbie thoughts:

It seems to me that the complexity issue is irrelevant as long as there are enough "simple" parts for us beginners and that there are enough experts to do the hard bits.

That said, if there are too many parts then the odds of one or more not fitting are increased, as is the chance that the engine may not operate when assembled. Certainly the experienced guys could make it work, but any post-assembly tinkering may be beyond the capabilities of newbies.

The current build means everyone received all the parts and assembles the engine. An idea might be to have one or two of the experienced people receive parts first, put them together, and ensure that either the engine works, or some parts need rework, or at least what assembly tinkering might be needed.

I would really love to participate in the next build, but since I start my lathe class in 2 weeks I doubt my skill level will be up to par. I am looking forward to build # 3 though.

I emailed Jan for copies of the plans. As soon as I have them we can decide.

Is anyone going to drop out if we do an IC engine?

I think there is room for you Kvom. We can find something thats easy for you to do. The best way to learn is to start turnin handles. If you run into troubles, many here, will come to your rescue:eek:) Don't be afraid to try.

My feelings are we should get a couple simpler engines under our belt before we start doing complex engines. I know they are just pieces. But we shouldn't get the wagon in front of the horses.

I am noticing that this engine will be way better than if I had built it myself. The bearing blocks are so polished that I'm going to have to spend extra time polishing my pillars. I don't want to be outdone, so my pieces are going to be better than anyone elses, seems to be how this is going. I think the engines will reflect it also.

I looked, I have enough bronze shaft to build the flywheels double sized if we want to do the coomber engine:eek:) I'll donate it to the cause if we decide to go that way.

Hope you decide to join us kvom, Wes

Brass_Machine said:
I emailed Jan for copies of the plans. As soon as I have them we can decide.

Is anyone going to drop out if we do an IC engine?

I'm still in no matter what we build. A multi-cylinder inline steam or Hodgson Radial, I'm in till the end.

I'm in too, no matter which way we go, I've enjoyed the first build, learnt a lot.

Joe

Well, All 50 pieces are drilled and tapped. All I have left is to polish them up. (to match the bearing blocks) then wait for the bolts. They should be here this week though. These have been fun parts. I got to try out some things that I've been rolling around in my head. It's always good when your plans work out, mine don't all the time.

Soooo... we build the coomber for a 3 month build and then build on of Jan's IC's?

I think that is a good solution.

Eric

Are we voting? I'll be happy to do whatever the group wants:eek:)

Wes

Brass_Machine said:
Soooo... we build the coomber for a 3 month build and then build on of Jan's IC's?

I think that is a good solution.

Eric

Eric, you're a genius! Reset the vote machines....

Joe

You think it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks? Try teaching old men.
This is my first attempt at posting a video EVER.
It is the Coomber engine that I posted a photo of back a few pages in this thread. Some people had asked for a video back then.
Turn down your sound as the shop was not very quiet.

[youtube=425,350]f_KaGygrND0[/youtube]

I am also one of those folks up in the air as far as size. I have full size machinery available so size is not an issue. We are a large fabricated products company (forklift attachments) so scraps and off cuts are easy to come by, once we decide on a direction, then the scrounging can start. If I had my druthers I wouldn't build anything that used any smaller then a 1/4-20 bolt. I can power tap those all day long. I also have CNC mills and surface grinding equipment so lots of options here. I kind of like the IC idea as well, no air/steam supply required.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back