Howdy from Georgia

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeman

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new but it now says I have been logged on for a total of 3 days, 18 hours! Time flies when you're having fun! I have never found so many talented and friendly people before. I hope I can give back some help eventually. I worked in industrial electronics for 30 yr. & a few other jobs. Retired now and want to try my hand at some steam engines and hopefully something I could sell to help pay for this hobby. I have a 7X10 minilathe, K&T 2HL vertical mill, Hendy 14x30 lathe, small Rotex Horz. mill, a broken old Van Norman mill, a big punch press(it was cheap, had to buy it!) and a Sherline mill that I cnc'd. I'm a newbie machinist, have made a few simple things, and I guess mostly trained by guys like you on the Web. I hope to find info on wood fired flash (monotube) boilers, 1-3 hp or so, & how to control them. I want to make models, but being a country boy from Ga., I can't live without at least one thing that lives in the backyard and belches fire & steam! A whistle would be nice, too.
Thanks for letting me join!!

Jakeman

Hi Jakeman and welcome to HMEM. I see that you have been around for a couple of months but just now getting your first post in. You probably have seen most of the site by now so you know what goes on. If you have any questions just ask as there is always someone around to answer or at least give an opinion. It sounds like you have a good start on the equipment needed to start building. As you get the time perhaps you could share with the members some of your projects. We look forward to your enjoyment and participation in the HMEM forums. :bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Jakeman,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome to the forum Jakeman, you'll find plenty of steam things and whistles here :)
Stew

Welcome Jakeman

It sounds like you have the tools at hand, so now the search is on for a project. You should be able to find all the help you need here, whatever road you take.

Regards,
Bill

Welcome form another VanNorm Owner!
;D
Dave

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

Dsquire, You said "You probably have seen most of the site by now" But no, I am not even close! I have many more hours to enjoy here before I catch up. Most of my questions have been answered just by reading the many tips and builds here. This is really a great site. You guys have done a fantastic job, and the talent here is great.

Kvom, I'm near Athens, so not too far from Cummings. Maybe we can get together sometime.

Steamer, I have heard nothing but good things about Van Norman's. Mine is probably the smallest one they made, I think it is a model "one-half" Duplex. It's cute and the head swings to vertical or horizontal position. Sad to see it laying in pieces but I hope to put it back together some day, maybe as a cnc mill. Converting a fine old manual machine into cnc may make the old machinists that ran it shake their heads in disgust, so maybe I won't :)

Thanks again
Don

Hi Jakeman,

YUP VN's are good, rugged, simple machines that built a reputation for quality. I have a #12 which is about the physical size of a small table Bridgeport, but about 400 pounds heavier.

It will hog stock, and "Norm" is still pretty tight and square.

Check out tools4cheap for collets which are hard to find and expensive used. He has had a run of new ones made and their good.

Welcome!

Dave

steamer said:
YUP VN's are good, rugged, simple machines that built a reputation for quality. I have a #12 which is about the physical size of a small table Bridgeport, but about 400 pounds heavier.

In case you didn't know, somewhere on the net is a manual for the #12 mill you can download. If you need it, let me know & I'll track it down. Thanks for the tip about the tooling.
Don

No problem Jakeman,

I think I have that manual, but thanks for the heads up!

He's got shell mill holders now too. Wish he'd make up some hardend arbors.

Dave

Jake: welcome sounds like you have lots of fun toys. what have you built? Got pictures??
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
Jake: welcome sounds like you have lots of fun toys. what have you built? Got pictures??
Tin
Tin, I have built very few things, mostly I have been getting my machines in shape. Seems like my hobby for the last 10 yr. has been acquiring & fixing machinery! I will probably start with a wobbler and if I can figure out picture taking & posting I will definitely do so. It will be slow however, hard to find time, always something else to do! This is a great group and thanks again everyone for the welcome.

No worries mate Other than team build stuff I have not completed and engine in about 4 years I guess. Seem like not a lot of extra time and energy left after work with the current job. Those last few years most of the hobby time spent converting a couple machines to CNC learning Cad Cam etc. also do 3- 5 engine shows a year exhibiting what I made before the drought so to speak. And of course spend time here.
Need to get making chips again .
Tin

Welcome Jakeman (Don) from a fellow Van Norman owner. I have a #12 that I am working on. Wanted a 1/2 but they were few and far between. I also have a Burke #4 for smaller jobs.

Best to you,

Nelson
Part of the team at www.***************.com

Latest posts

Back