Home built pistol

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you knew your thred would offend ,why did you post it ?I find your reply offensive and I have never seen this type thimg in here before and I hope never again.

Ian.

Guys,

Different countries have different traditions and whilst we may not agree with them we should respect them. It was not that long ago that Oz had a more liberal attitude towards firearms, i.e. prior to Port Arthur and I'm not convinced that our current draconian laws have done anything positive. The police now carry firearms in every state, (I can remember when they did not), gangland shootings are a fairly regular event.

I for one would like the right to protect my family and property especially now that I am older and home invasions of Gerry and the Hat Tricks are on the rise.

Lastly, people in glass houses should not throw stones.

Best Regards
Bob

I enjoy model projects of any type.

AND, I am a firearms enthusiast.

There is no violence intended in knocking over a soup can or punching a hole
in a paper target with a tiny gun.

I don't build small guns but I do like the little ones.
This is the cartridge my most recent toy fires.
It's a .17HMR

17HMRjpg.jpg

The quarter and .177 pellet gun ammo are for scale.

I'm not out to kill ANYTHING with that!
It's a personal test of accuracy and control.
Very much like hitting that size on the first attempt in machining.

If you feel I'm out of line with those thoughts please feel free to correct me.

Rick

Rick, I had a hole lot of fun with my old .17hmr. They are very accurate weapons. As long as it ain't windy :big:

Kel

kcmillin said:
Rick, I had a hole lot of fun with my old .17hmr. They are very accurate weapons. As long as it ain't windy :big:

Kel

Wind wouldn't affect my hand gun accuracy.

I couldn't hit the wide side of a barn if I was locked up inside it! :D

It's kind of like golf, I'm not that good at it but I love trying!

Rick

One of the hardest parts of this build is fitting the barrel into the receiver. I bored the receiver to take a 3/4-16 tapped thread for a depth of 3/4". The rest of the bore was left at .690 diameter. The barrel was turned and threaded on the lathe to fit the receiver. The fit is near perfect...tight enough to require a wrench to turn it on, but smooth.

barrel and receiver1.jpg

barrel end view1.jpg

Very Nice!

Are the barrels hard to machine?

Kel

kcmillin said:
Very Nice!

Are the barrels hard to machine?

Kel

Not that hard at all. The barrel is 4140 steel. I used a carbide insert turning tool to take the barrel down from 1" to .750". Running the lathe as fast as it will turn I could take .020 cuts. I did the threads with one of the cheap brazed carbide tools that came with my lathe years ago.

Ian: this is the break room an area for off topic posts. the section where folks talk about making motorcycle parts.As well as other not model engine machining subjects. Folks post about struggles in life such as fires, floods, earthquakes personal injuries etc. . And some of the joys of life. like a new addition to the family whether it be a new child, grand child, machine for the shop, building a new house, whatever. This is an open forum.
So unless the posts 1) portray criminal activity 2) break the forum rules or guidelines for posts or 3) Start a potential volatile discussion on a sensitive subject such as politics or religion. I will not delete a post.

All:
a caveat: Firearms laws do differ greatly from country to county and even state to state and city to city in the US. Please check local laws before attempting to build any firearm related project. I do not want to have to read stories of someones shop getting raided.
Bottom line here is respect there are many countries represented on this forum and those counties represent many varied cultures and traditions . we do not have to like all those differences but we should respect them.

Villiage Press Machinist Workshop Magazine has a gun smithing section. I have seen model firearm at shows and featured on the Internet craftsmanship museum. Model firearms and gunsmithing is a part of the Model Engineering hobby as much as locomotives, steam boats, clocks, marble habitat sculptures, etc.

Tin

Well said Tin, more or less sums up what I was going to say.

looking forward to the completion of this . personal note i love everything that you all build here i wish i had a 1/4 of what u guys all know. so many different models all of them great built by great hands of knowledge.

Hi Charlie! Nice work!! I thought you might enjoy seeing my first and only attempt at making guns.

I bought the plans from a small classified ad in Mechanics Illustrated (I think) or some other publication in the late 60s. I still have the original envelope, plan, and the original ad that shows the plans were $1.00 PP. The plan came with a registration number that I later stamped on the butt of the gun as per instructions. Its supposedly registered in my name...some where?

The pistol is called a Childs Camper pistol. Childs was the name of the designer, and the plans were copyrighted. I started the project about 40 years ago, and got it about 90% finished using a hack saw, a couple of files, and a hand cranked drill! That's all Dad had! One of my Dads friend's made the knurled threaded rod and tapped the block that it screws into. I remember the project being an insane amount of work. Eventually the project came to a long term standstill. I got back to it about 15 years ago and finished it by making the wood grips, adding the front sight, and drilling the barrel for a .22 cal liner that I chambered for .22 short. I only fired it once just to try it out, but I was somewhat reluctant!

EDIT! Unbelievable! I just found this on the internet!

http://garagegunsmithing.com/forum/...c36d2c34a39dd1804f972b&mode=view/Childs 3.JPG

http://garagegunsmithing.com/forum/download/file.php?id=586&mode=view/Childs 1.JPG

http://garagegunsmithing.com/forum/download/file.php?id=585&mode=view/Childs 2.JPG

P1050686.jpg

P1050687.jpg

P1050689.jpg

P1050692.jpg

-MB

Great work MB. A truly hand made work of art

radfordc said:
Nice. I really like the grips. Is that walnut?

Charlie, yes its a walnut of some sort. When the Bell phone system was broken up I was told to return my phone or pay rent on it. They told me that I bought the wood box and not the phone inside it, and they would not credit me for the box. I came back the next day gave them the electronic guts, kept the box, and went elsewhere to buy a phone. I allays admired the wood and lemon oiled it regularly. And I remember thinking how nice a set of pistol grips made from the wood would look.

I got the opportunity to find out, and if I remember correctly those grips cost $79! :D

-MB

This is a set of plans I have come close to buying, but then I would have to buy a bigger lathe and mill. ;D
(and I probably couldn't afford the brass.... :eek:

These are perfectly legal in the U.S. as they do not depend on the energy of the fired cartridge to cycle. They are hand cranked. Put a motor on it and go to prison.......

http://www.modelgatlinggunplans.com/#

Interesting bit of work today making the chamber reamer. I followed the method in this link:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/mill/cbore/cbore.html
One step in his instructions was new to me...that is cutting the flutes deeper than 1/2 the diameter of the tool. He said to use 1/2 + .044 * diameter as the DOC and it worked perfectly. I will say that its a good thing I did the heating and quenching of the O-1 drill rod in the open garage. The jar of oil immediately caught fire and the smoke was think. Not a basement job. Here is a pic of the finished reamer.

chamber reamer.jpg

very interesting thread, i am a shooting enthusiast myself and have often thought of making a working air rifle or similar, keep up the good work!

Latest posts

Back