Hoglet started (and running!)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin:

Way to go! :bow: :bow:

Now all you've got to do is build the bike to put it in!

Joe

(PS I really enjoyed the Engine Builder's Dance of Success)

Oh that was great. That was so great. Thank you.
And thanks for sharing the 'glee'. It just puts a smile on one's face.

Kevin, you realy earned that dance. Great engine. I really love that sound.

Kevin,

Great job! I'm envious of your work...

Chuck

Kevin,

BBBBBBEAUTIFUL, - I mean the engine of course, although the smile and dance were pretty good too. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Trust me when I say, "Only an American can convey so much with a simple YEAH
wow.gif
"

Best Regards
Bob

Kevin.
woohoo1 woohoo1 woohoo1 th_wav
Nice, beautiful :bow: :bow:, and as you say: "Thanks all for the tips and motivation and joining in for the ride, although it is far from over...." ..........we are waiting ;D

Crankshafter.

Kevin;
Loved the Lotto 649 dance - twice!! Great work and even better, thanks for taking the time to document it for us to learn from and enjoy.
Cheers
Garry

Y-E-A-H ! is right! Could I interest you in signing up for some Fred Astaire classes? Rof} Wouldn't it be nice to design and build a bendex type electric starter for it. Push the button and hang on!! Well done.

BC1
Jim

Thanks alot guys!!

Definately the most rewarding buid to date.

"Only an American can convey so much with a simple YEAH "

You meant North American, right Bob. ;)

signing up for some Fred Astaire classes?

I had to look him up, next time I'll put on the top hat and have "putting on the ritz"
Playing in the back ground. ;D

I think I'll keep the 649 dance as my signature innaugural run move.
I couldn't really get into it when the throttle ran away like that. Once I've broken it in for awhile I'll creep up on the rev's. I was suprised at its eagerness to really get going.

When it took awhile to start all kinds of things were going through my mind;
Are the cam lobes oriented backwards?, is this ignition compatible? Has the 1 year old lawn mower gas gone bad? ???

But then...

build a bendex type electric starter for it.

Once I have it tuned well I'm sure the kick start will get it going, although I have been playing with the idea. I didn't know the term "bendix" so now we have a new can of worms to open. ::)

Now all you've got to do is build the bike to put it in!

I've got my frame jig set up and tube templates laid out.
Here's a pic of what it might look like, and a 3-d pdf at the bottom of this post

frame%204.JPG

I'll need to find some nice rubber, maybe electric scooter wheels?

Thanks again for all the compliments and encouragement!!

-Kevin.

View attachment HGLTAND FRAME REV A.PDF

Thats turned out well Kevin, probably start better with a decent carb ;) Actually one thing you could try with a cold engine is holding a finger part way over the air intake, this acts like a choke and gives a richer mixture for starting.

I've not made any more progress on My hoglet as I've finished the sheet metal on my traction engine now so am back machining, been doing the cylinder casting which has approx 100 assorted holes in it, 7 left to do, six of which have potential to snap a drill or break through where they are not meant to.

Jason

Way to go Kevin Thm: It gives your subject line "Hoglet started" a whole new meaning ;D

Kevin,

My apologies for lumping our US and Canadian friends together, as was pointed out to me in a PM like calling an Aussie a Kiwi. So, I'll rephrase my remark.

"Only a Canuck or a Yank can convey so much with a simple YEAH." Both colloquial terms are meant with the greatest respect. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Jeff!! Good call on the pun. certainly couldn't have intended that back then.

It took me second to get it. Dey tinks I'm slow eh.

Bob, no worries mate! Although the Kiwi analogy did pop into my head. ;D

Thanks again!!

-Kevin.

Looks and runs amazing....... Well done :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :big:

Best regards

RR17

Kevin, that made my day! Got to get my build on track again - thanks for the inspiration. Which carb did you use? I have the one listed in the plans which looks similar to yours but not quite the same.

M.

Very nice Kevin. Well worth the year you spent on it. :bow: Thm: :bow:

Thanks alot RR17, Mati, Gail and the Engineer,

Man it really did take a year, the coomber and pulse mobile were mixed in there too I guess.

Mati, its a carb given to me by an RC shop/buddy of mine, I think it is O.S. Carburetor #10ER Rotary 12/15

osmg2440-01.jpg

This weekend after running a little wire I might get some tubes bent. It'll be a nice change from straight machining.

Thanks again!

-Kevin.

Latest posts

Back