Henry Ford Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done!
I just read the entire thread - only just found it.
I've been collecting the parts for a while to build one with my grandson.
Does anyone have a few basic dimensions for me to go by/scale from?
I know there are full plans - but not exactly cheap.... ::)
Cheers,
Joe

Way to go! Perseverance is the key. If they were not so maddening, they wouldnt be as interesting. :big:

Chris, your perseverance in this journey is inspiring. Many others would have blown it up a long time ago. Me included. It just goes to show that if you keep at it you can prevail. :bow: :bow:

Ron

Thank you Kel, Brian, Steve, Chuck, Joe, Jeff, and Ron. When it first ran I did not have the camera...it ran REALLY good and even appeared to be gaining speed? There was a moment after that when it fired backwars and turned in reverse, smashing into the copper contact. I just have to bend it back and adjust it again.

All in all I am VERY glad I did not smash the engine with a hammer. I know that at time during this post it seemed as though I was going to smash it with a hammer but I simply had enough. I cannot thank everyone enough who kept giving me positive feedback and encouraging me to keep going. At 33 years of age...I have a LOT of growing up to do which should come with a bit more patience (I hope).

Once I get the engine cleaned up and running better more videos and pictures to come.

Thanks again!

Chris

Brian Rupnow said:
Vascon---Congratulations. You have had a long and painfull trial with that engine. Have you figured out exactly what it was that prevented the engine from running previously??---Brian

Thank you Brian! Just about everthing I originally machined for this engine had to be either re-made or tweaked. For starters when I remounted the engine on its new base I noticed my alignment was WAY off in both directions. I machined a 1/4" spacer to raise the crank assembly up and put spacers under the BACK side of the cylinder. My original cylinder was bent upward slightly so I had to straigten it out with washers. I added an o-ring in addition to a piston ring which helped compression. I think the major issue I was having and what really "fixed" the engine was when I soldered all of the electrical connectors. I also replaced the timing contact which was a thick piece of brass with a much thinner piece of copper and sanded and cleaned all of the contact points. This and re-adjusting the timing got the engine up and running.

I also had to re-make the gas drip assembly completly. I mean...it was like I had to build the engine from scratch several times. I think my biggest mistake was trying to follow the plans exactly instead of using them as a guide. The lack of patience doesn't help either.

Thanks again Brian!

Vascom---Knowledge is cumulative. Think of how much more knowledgeable you are now about building IC engines than you were before this project. That might not make up totally for all the frustration you have felt during this build, but you have learned a lot!!!

Funny you should say that Brian....my Dad told me the same thing. :)

As others have already stated...perserverance is everything!

Congrats Chris!
:bow: :bow: :bow:

Dave

steamer said:
As others have already stated...perserverance is everything!

Congrats Chris!
:bow: :bow: :bow:

Dave

Thank you Dave!

;D Chris, I've been a bit quiet through your last bunch of trials and tribulations - didn't want to add pressure, and besides, I know nowt about IC engines...

th_wav WELL DONE :bow: :bow: - Great job; I just knew you'd not give up and get it sorted Thm: - GREAT GOING! :bow: :bow:

Kind regards, Arnold

arnoldb said:
;D Chris, I've been a bit quiet through your last bunch of trials and tribulations - didn't want to add pressure, and besides, I know nowt about IC engines...

th_wav WELL DONE :bow: :bow: - Great job; I just knew you'd not give up and get it sorted Thm: - GREAT GOING! :bow: :bow:

Kind regards, Arnold

Thank you Arnold!

well done chris
its alive :bow:
Pete

well that is very KOOL , what is the stroke on that it looks HUGE!
well done maybe have to built on of these one day

Great job! And congratulations on sticking with it till you got it working.

ewok said:
well that is very KOOL , what is the stroke on that it looks HUGE!
well done maybe have to built on of these one day

Thanks...it's a 2-1/2" throw with a 21" connecting rod. Good luck if you decide to build one.

Chris

So it's been since September 2011 since the last post regarding my Henry Ford Engine....well I went and built another one over the past few months. I decided to build a better looking (and hopefully better running) engine.

These pictures do not represent the painted flywheel but those are on the way.

Looking good!
Now weld two junk bicycles together, install engine, and make fords quadracycle:D

Latest posts

Back