Henry Ford Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am just starting to build one i am going to play around with it abit i want to make it look as close to fords engine as i can but i want to water cool it and have it goverened so i dont have to baby it. cam

It'll never work, as the exhaust Valve is mounted backwards (he he), What a great looking engine, I must get A into G and build one myself.
Cheers.

Thanks Cam....finally got to use our new sand blaster.

I found a flywheel that very closely matches the original ford engine. It came mounted on an 1800's post mounted Buffalo Foundry Co drill press. I just received a set of plans and found the flywheel at the Portland Ind swap meet last week. I ordered an extra piston ring to help with compression. Construction starts shortly. The same 5 spokes as the original, 13" dia and 16 1/4 lbs. I went to the Ford museum last week and found the engine in Greenfield Village in Fords original garage workshop on the workbench. I took several photos to help me.

PICT3349.jpg

Great find!

It must be nice to be close to the museum...someday I will go there.

Have fun with this build.

Close? I'm 250 miles away but I attend the NAMES show every year and had another reason for visiting the museum which is only about 5 miles from there. Photographing this engine was a convenient afterthought as I only decided to pursue this build after seeing two of them at the show and talking to the builders. Anyway, I was asked to publish the photos. Another difference you will notice in the photos is that Ford used a 1/2" sq bar for the piston connecting rod. I met and talked to Mr Ridenour, who has built about 50 of these engines, in Portland Indiana an the Tri-city gas engine swap meet last week.

PICT3328.jpg

PICT3329.jpg

PICT3330.jpg

PICT3331.jpg

Last edited:
atwatterkent thank you very much for the photos of the Henry ford engine it is the first time that I have seen them. I live in Malta thousands of miles away so I have no chance of ever seeing the original engine!! I bought plans for building the engine from Leon Ridenour and I am nearly finished, but seeing your photos I think I have to redesign my engine as I want it to be as faithful as possible to the original. In the drawings supplied by Mr Ridenour the con rod is shown to be a pipe whilst the original has a half inch square bar and the crank has a counterweight which the original doesn't have, I will have a chat with Mr Ridenour:)) Will keep you informed.

Finally....here are pictures I took today of the completed engine. This is my second Henry Ford engine with some minor modifications to make assembly and repairs easier.

Showing the push rod sub-assembly detached from the base. I put 3 pieces of threaded rod in the base and just place the sub assembly over them and secure with hex nuts.

Here is the sub assembly in place.

Nice engine you got there, I have built the engine myself and just dismantled it as a friend of mine from USA sent me some close up photos of the original engine at the Ford museum and I found out that the original engine had the conrod made from 1/2 square bar and not from a pipe and the crank did not have a counterweight, it did not have notches cut in the cylinder for the conrod to pass. I am trying to make the engine as faithful as possible so I have started making the necessary alterations!!

Very nice!

Does a set of drawings for this engine exist or do you just have to wing it?

You can purchase a set of drawings from Leon Ridenour. His phone number is 865-584-9759. He is located in Knoxville, TN.

Latest posts

Back