Hello from Leicestershire UK

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isambard

Reaction score
I have at last figured out how to get threads in the right place so here goes I am new to model engine making as I started when I was 55 I built a Stuart Turner beam engine with help from a friend who is a machinist and have also restored several other small steam engines. The work in progress is a 3/4 scale Bassett Lowke traction engine which I bought part built with missing parts ie the cylinder and gears and motion so I need to source drawings and parts so it will be a long term project. I have a Chester lathe, bench drill, bandsaw etc so I'm not so well equipped as some you more experienced guys. Hope I can learn from you and maybe contribute to this forum. I don't think I have it in the right place now sorry.
Best regards Tom

Last edited:
Welcome to the group. Never too late to start a new interest. I hope someday myself to build a traction engine.

I've been working on the Kozo A3 in 3/4" scale, but that is dragging on longer than it should. Haven't been in the shop much for months...

Paul

Hi Paul thanks for the welcome I hope you get round to building a traction engine they are very interesting pieces of machinery, I not sure what a Kozo A3 is but I'm guessing its a locomotive as we have A3's in the UK

Regards Tom

Hi Tom,

Where abouts in Leicestershire are you? Im sure many other members would also be interested in seeing a photograph of your 3/4" traction engine. They may look small on the ground but look massive on the bench!

Rob,

Hi Rob I'm in Ashby and when I get more used to the forum I will put some photos of my engines on. Which Douglas are you building I had a Dragonfly many years ago. It will be a better class minimoto lol .

regards Tom

Hi Tom,
I may be able to help you with drawings for the 3/4" scale Bassett-Lowke engine. My father built one of these in the 1960s and I have a very faded set of drawings and a copy of the booklet that went with it called "How to build a Traction Engine".
If you send me a private message with your e-mail address I will scan the booklet in and mail it to you. The drawings are about 30"x22" and probably too faded to scan properly. Also, as I only have an A4 scanner, would take a lot of effort to scan although I did use this method to scan the drawings for the Bassett-Lowke 1 1/2" which my father started and I am now finishing, some 35 years later!
I have found the Bassett-Lowke drawings are not fully detailed and not terribly accurate so I have to check every part quite carefully before making it. I also redesigned the boiler to be all silver-soldered construction with separate hornplates rather than a riveted one.

The original engine is currently with my nephew who lives in Leicestershire.

Richard

Hi Richard thanks for the offer of drawings I have the booklet but it doesn't show the cylinder measurements or the gear and motion arrangement if these are shown on the drawings would you be kind enough to try to scan these parts please. I am not sure how to send private messages as I am new to the forum perhaps someone tell me how to do this.

Best Regards Tom

DSCN1883.jpg

DSCN1886.jpg

photo 1 is as it arrived and photo 2 is after cleaning up

Hi Tom,

I've scanned the cylinder dimensions and a plan view of the motion and a numbered parts list but I am afraid that the blueprint that covers the motion has completely faded and so it's not worth scanning. I have uploaded the scans to the Plans and Blueprints album so hopefully you will be able to see them OK.

Richard

Hi Tom welcome to the fountain of knowledge for everything engined haha. I'm just down the road from you I'm in Coalville. I'm new to engine building but I'm a machinist by trade so I'm fairly good on a machine haha :p. The engine looks great looks like a nice little project.

All the best James.

Hi Canman thanks for the welcome I was an engineer building drop hammers and small piledriving drill rigs before I retired so I had to lean machining from my best mate who who was also a machinist

Tom

Was that at a local company? I started of doing all sort of work in y apprenticeship, mainly work for cat at desford for the assembly line I've now moved places and mainly do animal crusher work, so I've gone from working with parts I can barely see haha to the smallest shaft being around 100mm square by about 5 feet long haha.

All the best James.

Back